• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superman Returns Superman Returns Mistakes

SolidSnakeMGS said:
I think the biggest mistake of the film is just bad writing.

Lex Luthor gets out of prison, which was HUGE news, and marries an old lady who happens to be rich and live in a mansion, which I am sure was also big news. She dies, Lex gets everything and I am sure that in itself caused quite the big stink. Yet Lois doesn't realise this when she figures out where the blackout originated from.

So she drives there, leaves her cellphone in her car, takes her son onto some huge boat docked outside the mansion, and gets captured.

First she shouldn't endanger her son like that. Second she should have called in to report on the blackout story update since she was working on it. Maybe gotten a camera crew out there for a followup and also updated her editor-in-chief. Third, had she had her cellphone, she might have been able to call for help, but they probably would have searched her beforehand and taken it away.
Yeah, I was thinking about that. That would have been big news. It would have been the same if OJ had done the same thing. Would have been fodder for the talking head shows every day. And, unlike Lois saying "You haven't been a big headline lately" He would have. Look at the weeks of major upset that was all over the airwaves about OJ's book and TV show. So much public outcry that the book and show was pulled. And Lex stole two nukes, attempted to kill millions of people. In reality, he would have been on death row like McVeigh was. So if he had gotten out, he definately would have been hounded by the media like OJ is. And some ticked off Californian or hackensackian would have probably taken him out.

buggs0268 said:
In STM, Lex mentioned that the rocket left and took 3 years to get to earth (meaning that Kal_El was 3 years old when he landed) If you take that, It would place Kal landing on Earth about the same time that Chris Reeve was born. Chris was 24 or 25 at that time, so you add on 3 years and you get 27 years old in 1978. So STM firmly establishes itself in 1978. Also, Since a song is playing on the car radio from the 50's when Clark runs home to beat Lana and gang, that establishes 1978. However, Clark would have been 6 when that song was released and playing on the radio. Superman is supposed to be about 27 or 28 in the movie. Originally he was written as 30, but they settled on the date he landed on earth + 3 years. So technically it is dated as SII was to originally be released the year following STM because of Donner's vision. Actually, I think if he had been able to get both films in the can during the whole shoot, I believe S2 was supposed to come out Summer of 1979, or 6 mos after STM. Only due to the Salkind's B.S. was the movie not reshot and re-leased in the summer of 1981 (or December of 1980 for those living in Australia and the southern hemisphere market's, where the film was released 6 mos earlier) So STM and Donner's S2 are firmly locked into a year.

Another thing is a deleted scene in Air force 1 where the pilots reference the President and peanuts, so they are definately talking about Carter. Also, I believe it is during Carter's time that Air Force 1 switched from a 707 to a 747, so that dates it too. It could have been later, but I do believe as a kid I saw Carter's Air Force One being a 707, and Reagan's being the 747. It was definately before the Beaver attack incident as that would have been mentioned instead of the peanuts as the peanut's ribbing was pretty much used secondly after the supposed beaver attack that no one saw happen. So it takes place during Carter's term (1976-1980) However, there is E.G. Marshall playing president in the movie, but no name is given, just "Mr. President". Had it been taking place during the Reagan years, we would have heard references to his movie with the horse.

So in any case, the film happens in the 70's while Carter is in office, but before the beaver attack.

Nooooooooooooooo, there is NO mention of the year '1978' in the movie, or any year. Also, just coz there are references doesn't mean the movie can establish it's own time continuity. Yes, they're locked into a year, but what year? I don't ever recall the characters mentioning the year they lived in. So, IMO, no mistake was made by Singer.

A lot people have been mentioning the whole James Bond idea. I think thats a good way to look at it. I am somewhat angry with Singer for naively thinking we'd all just go with the flow as far as the continuity is concerned. I was under the impression that the memory kiss was out the window but watching the documentary, it seems like he's including it. Watching SR, I think the kiss is in, it didn't erase her memories of the time spent with Superman, just her memory of his identity as Clark.

Smegger56 said:
Nooooooooooooooo, there is NO mention of the year '1978' in the movie, or any year. Also, just coz there are references doesn't mean the movie can establish it's own time continuity. Yes, they're locked into a year, but what year? I don't ever recall the characters mentioning the year they lived in. So, IMO, no mistake was made by Singer.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss, there is. Lex Luthor dates it in his dialog. Did you read anything I typed. Luthor says Krypton exploded in 1948 and it took 3 years for theket to get to earth, so 1951 or 1952. So about the year that Chris was born. Superman says he is over 21, and he is about 27 or 28 in the movie. So the characters don't hav to yell into the camera "it is 1978" to know that they are talking about 1977 or 1978. And like Morg said, it does mention the year the rock was found. It also says the date on the newspaper that Ms. Tessmacher is reading.

buggs0268 said:
Lex Luthor dates it in his dialog. Did you read anything I typed. Luthor says Krypton exploded in 1948 and it took 3 years for theket to get to earth, so 1951 or 1952. So about the year that Chris was born. Superman says he is over 21, and he is about 27 or 28 in the movie. So the characters don't hav to yell into the camera "it is 1978" to know that they are talking about 1977 or 1978. And like Morg said, it does mention the year the rock was found. It also says the date on the newspaper that Ms. Tessmacher is reading.

Superman is 30 in Superman: The Movie. He was 18 when he went to the Fortress of Solitude, and he was there for 12 years (as stated by Jor-El). That makes him 30.

Spider-Fan930 said:
Superman is 30 in Superman: The Movie. He was 18 when he went to the Fortress of Solitude, and he was there for 12 years (as stated by Jor-El). That makes him 30.
Your right. I forgot about that. So it places it in 1978. 1948 + 30 years is 1978. So there you go, the movie is firmly dated in 1978, or when it was released.

NewYorkSpider said:
But when Lex Luthor steals the kryptonite from the museum. The year said 1978 under the rock. This is where i'm confused. So this stuff came 28 years ago and no one has aged a bit.
Everytime your confused just repeat "A wizard did it".

Spider-Fan930 said:

That's what I said on page one of this thread. :woot:

But the main fact is it took him thousands of earth years to get from Krypton to here as a baby, so to go there and back would take him twice as long, so probably 20,000 years to go from here to there and back.

Maybe he used "even more advanced Kryptonian technology" upon his return. :oldrazz:

Showtime029 said:
Maybe he used "even more advanced Kryptonian technology" upon his return. :oldrazz:

This is all assumming that speed actually cannot proceed faster than 'light'. Who's to say in a thousand years we break that speed.....10 fold?

buggs0268 said:
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss, there is. Lex Luthor dates it in his dialog. Did you read anything I typed. Luthor says Krypton exploded in 1948 and it took 3 years for theket to get to earth, so 1951 or 1952. So about the year that Chris was born. Superman says he is over 21, and he is about 27 or 28 in the movie. So the characters don't hav to yell into the camera "it is 1978" to know that they are talking about 1977 or 1978. And like Morg said, it does mention the year the rock was found. It also says the date on the newspaper that Ms. Tessmacher is reading.

I stand corrected then.

Smegger56 said:
I stand corrected then.
Sorry if my post apeared to be in any way condescending. I wasn't meaning to be if it was mistaken. Just wanted to show that it was dated. But if I did come across as condescending, then I apologized.

no that you all have debunked superman, i think its time that you all used your powers on that JFK mystery, or maybe finding Jimmy Hoffa.

its a ****ing movie!

The vague history thing gets me. I mean the whole story lione is based on the first two movies. I really have no problem with the movie other than no explination as to why S3&4 never take place in this continuity, I almost think they want you to belive this is a post Crisis STM continuity. But who knows. And I can't stand how Lois still doesn't know who Sups is. And last why didn't they just restart Superman like they did Batman?

If it'd been my movie, Lois and Clark would be getting married at the beginning of the film. They've been married in the comics for a while, you might as well get the movies caught up.

buggs0268 said:
Sorry if my post apeared to be in any way condescending. I wasn't meaning to be if it was mistaken. Just wanted to show that it was dated. But if I did come across as condescending, then I apologized.

No, i came across as knowing the facts, when i didn't, and my post was a bit condescending. Hey, it's all good debate. Keep me on my toes, and it'll teach me to actually look properly at things like this. :up:

And hey, i was wrong. Just means i'll have to watch Superman closely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"