Superman:Unbound vs MOS

pwhitrow

Civilian
Reaction score
Just got through watching Superman:Unbound (an adaptation of Superman: Brainiac), and I was staggered at how it completely mirrored MOS in a number of scenes! Seriously, you gotta watch it and see. Simply replace Braniac with Zod and you have a blueprint for MOS.

I'm not going to tell you what or where the key references/scenes are but you WILL see them and make the same comparison.

I can't help wondering if Goyer had meant to draw so completely from this, or vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched it a few months back. I'm not the biggest Brainiac fan so I remember being kind of "meh" to it. But I LOVE MoS so I'll have to rewatch Unbound.

Superman Unbound was just a terrible movie imo. Funny you brought that up because I did see it after MOS out of curiosity and thought the same thing during certain scenes.

I'm a big fan of the Brainiac character, but Unbound was as underwhelming as the comics story it was based on, imo. I did like the voice cast and the action, though.

Last edited:
You might want to remove that link.

Didn't really think of any similarities between Unbound and MOS.

Uh I watched the movie last week and I dot remember it being like MOS. only thing similar is an alien in a big space ship coming to do something bad to earth.

Superman vs The Elite was better imho. I thought they did a great job adapting "What's So Funny...."

To be honest the only reason I rented it was because they mentioned the LnC relationship on the back. I loved their interaction in this movie despite that the movie was just ok. I really disliked how Braniac was defeated.

What about...

Superman VS The Elite vs Man of Steel?

Both deal with the moral decisions Clark is faced with but in different ways. It's an interesting contrast actually.

In Superman vs The Elites in that final massive battle scene Supes has his bots helping him completely eliminate collateral damage. This is my point against the critics of MoS. Comics, and animated movies, have a natural wiggle room out of moral dilemmas; but trying to ground Superman in the "real world" means that he can't always wiggle himself out of moral dilemmas by calling on his worker-bots for help, or cutting out the dangerous portion of a criminals brain, or teleporting a battle/showdown to the moon.

I love Superman vs The Elites for its' moral message but MoS is better at balancing the character with the "real world."

Last edited:
What about...

Superman VS The Elite vs Man of Steel?

Superman vs The Elite was a great animated film. It was a lesson driven film that focused on a seasoned Superman who seemed to be losing his touch with the people.

Man of Steel was a great movie, the theme of the film was about choice. A personal choice for Superman to stand in front of the human race or hide. And a choice of krypton vs Earth.

Both good films.

Both deal with the moral decisions Clark is faced with but in different ways. It's an interesting contrast actually.

In Superman vs The Elites in that final massive battle scene Supeshas his bots helping him completely eliminate collateral damage. This is my point against the critics of MoS. Comics, and animated movies, have a natural wiggle room out of moral dilemmas; but trying to ground Superman in the "real world" means that he can't always wiggle himself out of moral dilemmas by calling on his worker-bots for help, or cutting out the dangerous portion of a criminals brain, or teleporting a battle/showdown to the moon.

I love Superman vs The Elites for its' moral message but MoS is better at balancing the character with the "real world."

I agree with you to an extent. Part of it is that the world in MoS is closer to our own, but also, IMO, that Superman is starting out in his career. I'd like to see some remarkable solutions to seemingly impossible problems in the sequels.

Superman vs The Elite was a great animated film. It was a lesson driven film that focused on a seasoned Superman who seemed to be losing his touch with the people.

Man of Steel was a great movie, the theme of the film was about choice. A personal choice for Superman to stand in front of the human race or hide. And a choice of krypton vs Earth.

Both good films.

Yep. I'd rate SvsTE level with MoS.

Any complaints or nitpicks center on some of the scratchy character designs, but I can overlook it.

I thought the same thing during that scene when Clark went off on Zod.....when he was telling him how his parents taught him to hone his senses....but that's about it that I can think of.....

It was quite boring i found. Superman hasn't had the best luck with DCU animated films.

I also didn't like the design for supes face. You could probably run a marathon on his face it's so long.

SupermanSupergirl1.jpg

It was quite boring i found. Superman hasn't had the best luck with DCU animated films.

I also didn't like the design for supes face. You could probably run a marathon on his face it's so long.

SupermanSupergirl1.jpg
Looks like Nic Cage finally got the role.

I'm not trying to say the film was good or bad, simply that I found some similarities to be quite startling...

. Superman's ship appearing out of hyperspace and zooming past the Moon to Earth
. Superman's heat vision destruction on Braniac's ship
. Braniacs 'powers' kicking in while fighting Supes
. 'Welcome to Earth'
. Inclusion of Steve Lombard in a film
. Snake tentacles from the ship attacking Supes
. Superman bound on Braniac's ship while having his mind probed, only to break free
. Many pods filled with creatures similar in concept to the birthing matrix

should I go on? ;)

I like Unbound, especially the voice cast. Matt Bomer and Stana Katic are the best Superman and Lois in animation since Tim Daly and Dana Delany, imo. If another animated series gets made they should be doing the voices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"