The ALFRED HITCHCOCK Thread

I have watched just a few movies by Hitchcock. Psycho was a disappointment for me. It was the first movie of his that I watched and I was very underwhelmed. One very good scene (the shower scene) and nothing much else.

Then I watched The Birds and I loved it! Now that was directing. The suspense was masterful.

But I just finished (like 10 minutes ago) his 1954 Rear Window. I have never been so impressed with a classic movie in my life. It felt almost modern. Amazing work. The Cinematography and the directing were just out of this world. Now this is a movie that I can see watching again and again. Amazing.

I don't know what people find in Psycho, but I don't see it myself. Rear Window and The Birds are far better films.

Reviving this because talk in the Hitchcock Top 10 thread (and @ComicChick ) gave me the motivation to do write-ups on my Great Hitchcock Oddysey I did last year, watching all 52 of his available features. I recommend any fans do this because while some are movies I'd never heard of for very good reason, a lot of others really do qualify as seriously overlooked gems, imo. Honestly, I'd say I genuinely enjoyed the top 40 or so, which is pretty darn good. Gonna do a countdown from worst to best with my thoughts on each.

So let's start with the bottom of the barrel, 52-48. Remember when I said some of the more obscure ones were overlooked gems? Well, these ain't those.

52. Juno and the Paycock (1930)

220px-Juno_and_the_Paycock.jpg

So this movie's an adaptation of the stage play by Sean O'Casey. On paper, it sounds like material Hitchcock COULD have excelled at - set during the Irish Civil War, it follows the trials and tribulations of a down on their luck Dublin family. Juno, the matriarch, her husband Captain Boyle (whom she calls "The Paycock" because he's vain as a peacock and is terrible with money?), and their grown children Mary and crippled war vet Johnny. I say it looks like something that could've been up Hitchcock's alley because of the political turmoil aspect, plus a plot where Johnny becomes a secret informant that gets a fellow IRA member killed, and is slowly driven mad by his own guilt. But then there's the love triangle plot of Mary and her suitors that steals a lot of focus, along with the Paycock making poor financial decisions, and it becomes clear this is really just one of those depressing stories about a family with economic struggles that I'm sure makes for a fine play. The camera work is totally unremarkable and Hitchcock himself described this as "just a photograph of a play," which is absolutely accurate because he does nothing notable with this material at all. Probably doesn't help that he and his writer/editor wife Alma were working very closely with the playwright himself, and therefore probably weren't at liberty to make any dramatic changes. But yeah, this one's a bore.

51. Waltzes from Vienna (1934)

waltzes-from-vienna-johann-writes-blue-danube-alfred-hitchcock-esmond-knight-jessie-matthews.jpg

When you tell me Alfred Hitchcock made a musical, I'm interested. Unfortunately, the reality of that doesn't even come close to the images my imagination had conjured up. This is basically a rom-com about musician for the Vienna Orchestra who's an aspiring composer himself. It's a bit of a "love square" because we've got him, his girlfriend who wants him join her family's business and become a baker, the Countess who takes an interest in his musical talents, and the baker's apprentice who's in love with his girlfriend. The romantic plot is as basic as that, and this is one of those movie where the guy is having a romantic interlude and kissing the Countess one minute and then (spoiler alert!) declares his love for the girlfriend just minutes later and they live happily ever after she covers for him with the Countess' husband. So yeah, not actually the stuff of great romance. And lest you be intrigued by the concept of a "Hitchcock musical sequence," allow me to burst your bubble and inform you that they basically look like that image I posted above. Because it's about a composer/musician, it's all just people sitting around and performing music. She sings one of his tunes, he sits at a piano and plays, the orchestra plays a couple songs. That's it. No real choreography or special staging to speak of. There's ONE notable sequence where he figures out a new composition while listening to the sounds and rhythms of the bakery, but that's about it. Honestly, the only reason this is ranked above Juno and the Paycock is, well, at least he was trying something different here? Also, the music is classics by Johann Strauss, so at least that's good.

50. Easy Virtue (1928)

EasyVirtueweb_720x500.jpg

The lowest of his 9 silent movies on my list. So this is basically a melodrama about the dangers of being an Attractive Young Woman. Fighting off the advances of the artist who's smitten with her leads to her being seen in his arms by her drunken husband! A struggle ensues and the artist is killed, Attractive Woman is sued for divorce on grounds of adultery and the jury sides with the husband because of course she cheated, she is Attractive! And Young! She flees to the South of France and changes her name to live in anonymity, finds love and marries again, only to lose it all when the truth of her infamy is revealed. I give this movie points for at least acknowledging the ridiculousness and hypocrisy at the heart of the societal standards that drive it. It also introduced the whole "woman attempting to escape her past" theme that Hitchcock would take a liking to in some of his more notable work, so I guess there's that.

49. The Farmer's Wife (1928)

MV5BYzcwNTk4OWQtN2M5Ni00NWI3LWI5OTgtZGUwNmYwZWEzYjExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_UY268_CR8,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Another of the silents, this is Hitch doing your basic formulaic rom-com. A farmer's wife dies, so of course she must be replaced, and he has his housekeeper make a list of candidates. Romantic, right? And of course after a bunch of cute shenanigans with the various candidates, he realizes his loyal housekeeper is the love he was looking for all along. Awww. Actually, when I ignore the general sexism of the times inherent in the premise, it actually is a little sweet. Plus there are cute dogs.

48. Number 17 (1932)

0678.jpg

I liked the concept of this movie, the cinematography is nice, and it got off to a promising enough start, so I really thought I was in for a treat with this one. Unfortunately, those are the only things the movie has going for it, and it doesn't really deliver on any of its potential. Most of this film is set in a house (17 is the house's number), where a gang of thieves has hidden a necklace they stole. A detective whose identity as a detective is kept under wraps for most of the film for no apparent reason at all goes into a house in search of them and finds a dead body and a terrified tramp. Long, convoluted story short, a bunch of other people descend upon the house, including neighbors and the thieves themselves, various people are taken hostage and eventually the thieves flee with the necklace. There's a chase, a "twist," a train crash (yay for models!). The plot is sometimes downright incoherent and full of improbabilities at parts, and the characters are dull, but the Lodger-esque, German Expressionism-inspired cinematography is cool and there are some welcome tense AND comedic moments sprinkled in there, though not enough to really make it interesting. Hitch would do most of the things this movie is trying do much better in later films.

So yeah, as you can see, his early British period is easily his weakest to me. He wasn't really the Alfred Hitchcock we know yet and was still learning his craft. Next batch will be 3 more from that era + a couple of later ones.

Last edited:
For me, Psycho is two movies in one. Up till the Shower scene, it's a half drama and half caper - Marion's internal struggle, and after it, it's a horror/psychological thriller mix. It's all about Norman - the inside and out, the mask and his real face as it were, perception and reality. It's probably my favorite movie of all time and the other two are a variation on a theme - Silence of the Lambs and Halloween (1978).

I've always loved Rope - it's such a strange movie, almost like a filmed play, and How to Catch a Thief.

Rear Window, Birds, North by Northwest and Vertigo are fantastic as well.

Last edited:
For me, Psycho is two movies in one. Up till the Shower scene, it's a half drama and half caper - Marion's internal struggle, and after it, it's a horror/psychological thriller mix. It's all about Norman - the inside and out, the mask and his real face as it were, perception and reality.
Yes, I usually tend to enjoy movies that start off as one film and essentially turn into a completely different film at some point. Psycho's probably the earliest example of that I can think of.

So, I know I said I'd have 3 early films 2 later ones in my next batch of write-ups, but I lied. Or rather, misread my own list, lol. Anyhoo, on with the countdown:

47. Jamaica Inn (1939)

jam1.jpg

This was Hitchcock’s last film before making the jump to Hollywood, and I think it’s safe to say he had mentally checked out and sent his brain to Hollywood already because it certainly wasn’t on this film. The title inn (which is actually meant to be in England) at the heart of this film is run by a gang of criminals who run the racket of purposely causing ships to crash against the rocky coast there, and the movie follows the leader’s innocent young niece who comes to visit and, upon figuring out what her uncle does there, goes on the run after saving a man from getting killed by the gang. The premise is cool, I’ll give it that. But the movie, unfortunately, is not. The only notable thing about this really is that it was the breakthrough role for Maureen O’Hara as the niece.

46. The Skin Game (1931)

13_01.jpg

This is one of those movies Hitchcock was basically forced to do by his studio, and it kinda shows, though it’s not bad. The story is about the rivalry between an upper-class family and a working class family that escalates before ending in tragedy. Despite the title, it contains nothing particularly scandalous (not sure what that title refers to, actually). It’s a well-worn story, pretty well-told, with a few nice shots in there, and some good performances including Helen Haye, who would later reunite with Hitchcock on The 39 Steps.

45. The Pleasure Garden (1925)

movieposter.jpg

This silent film is the earliest of Hitchcock’s surviving features, and is basically a story of romantic entanglements of a young dancer, the chorus girl who helps her out, a Prince, the dancer’s fiancé and his best friend, all revolving around a theatre called The Pleasure Garden. This film is honestly more entertaining than I'd expected, given the premise, and features tiny glimpses of the Hitchcock we would come to know, namely with some creative POV shots. Things take a dark turn when one of the characters murders his mistress and is then haunted by her ghost. I’ve seen claims that this is a rare instance of Hitchcock including a supernatural element, but honestly, there’s nothing to say those weren’t just meant to be visions in his head. Fun fact: Hitchcock and Alma Reville reportedly got engaged while working on this film.

44. Downhill (1927)

downhill1.jpg

Another one of his 9 surviving silent films, this one is perhaps the meanest and most cynical of the bunch – basically one noble student takes the fall for one of his best friend’s “misdeeds” in school (that is, getting a girl pregnant), and the film chronicles how that decision basically ruins his life. Hitchcock was clearly once again satirizing the hypocrisies inherent in upper-class “polite” society, the way they so easily destroy this intelligent, good-hearted soul because of one perceived failing, and his critique is absolutely scathing here. Hitchcock’s misogyny is also on full display, as the women are mainly portrayed as vile harlots out to destroy innocent young men. Still, I can’t say it didn’t keep me interested the whole time, and a few of Hitchcock’s creative visual choices here are noteworthy.

43. The Ring (1927)

a-alfred-hitchcock-the-ring-dvd-review-pdvd_013-e1340415965956.jpg

This silent film is one of the rare movies credited as having been written and directed by Hitchcock, and surprise, it’s not a crime movie or psychological thriller. It’s two-parts love-triangle melodrama, one-part boxing movie, and it’s actually pretty good. The plot pretty much boils down to two boxers fighting for the heart of one woman, both in and out of the ring. Sounds dull, I know, but honestly, it had no problem holding my attention. Lots of casual racism and sexism to look past, though. Still, the acting was strong, and the camera work and editing were very assured and inventive here. You could watch this and know this guy was going places.

Next batch, I really do have 3 more early ones + 2 later ones. For real this time.

42. Champagne (1928)

7149.jpg

This movie is aptly titled because it’s as light and bubbly as Hitchcock gets. This is a silent comedy about the wild and rebellious daughter of a wealthy businessman who decides to teach his daughter a lesson by pretending he’s lost the business and the family is bankrupt, after she runs off and elopes with the penniless “love of her life.” The father does this assuming the boy is a gold-digger, but of course true love prevails because it’s light and fun! So yeah, very slight material here, but it’s carried by a lively performance from Betty Balfour as “The Girl,” and some really cool shots, including one beauty through a champagne glass and another wobbly, moving shot that makes the audience feel as drunk as the character it’s capturing.

41. The Manxman (1929)

Manxmanweb_720x500.jpg

During his silent era, Hitchcock seemed to go through a phase of these “two guys fighting over a girl” romantic melodramas. I’d say The Manxman is probably the best of those. The story is about two best friends, one well off, one poor, who are in love with the same woman. She’s in love with the poor one but her father doesn’t approve, so he goes off to Africa to get rich, and in the meantime, after learning he died in Africa, she falls for the friend, but of course her first love is not really dead, etc. Like The Ring, this one’s got plenty of visual style and the story doesn’t quite play out the way you’d expect. Hitch lets a little more darkness bleed into this one than the others, and it’s all the better for it.

40. The Paradine Case (1947)

MV5BMTcxNjI0ODgzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODczMDMyMTI%40._V1_SY1000_CR0%2C0%2C1250%2C1000_AL_.jpg

If I were watching this film not knowing it was a Hitchcock film, I’d have been perfectly pleased with it. The story is solid, the acting is good, and it is well-filmed. It’s the fact that this is Hitchcock, post-Rebecca, Notorious, Spellbound, Lifeboat and Shadow of a Doubt Hitchcock, that causes the disappointment to sink in. Because the plot here – a lawyer defends a woman accused of murdering her blind husband and quickly becomes infatuated with her and obsessed with proving her innocence, putting a strain on his own marriage in the process – seems like one Hitchcock would revel in, but…he doesn’t. I know his relationship with producer David O. Selznik had crumbled at this point and this was the last film he was contractually obligated to do with him, so it’s hard not to shake the feeling that he was phoning this one in just to get it over with. As it is, it plays like a straightforward, if a bit dry and stuffy, courtroom drama, with Gregory Peck doing his dependably engaging courtroom blustering, Alida Valli as the enigmatic femme fatale on trial for murder, and Ann Todd being effectively sympathetic as the loyal, put-upon wife. And on those grounds, it works just fine. Still hard not to wish it had aimed for more.

39. Topaz (1969)

0726.jpg

This has all the makings of a classic Hitchcock film – espionage, stylish chase scenes, elegantly staged scenes of high tension, characters you don’t know you can trust, a fantastic score by Maurice Jarre, the works. This was a seasoned Hitchcock at work, all of his trademark tricks were fully developed at this point, and he put most of them to use here. What keeps it from actually being up there with the great classic Hitchcock films is, well, the story. The last of Hitchcock's spy films, it’s a Cold War story that starts with a Russian defector escaping and informing the US intelligence of Russian missiles headed to Cuba. The quest for photographic evidence of these missiles leads to a revelation about a Russian spy ring within the French intelligence service called Topaz, and it eventually becomes a hunt for the leader of this spy ring. A lot of stuff happens in between and after that because honestly, this plot is convoluted as hell. It also jumps within its large cast of characters from protagonist to protagonist as it’s all very episodic, making it hard to get particularly invested in any of them. It’s just…a lot. This was apparently based on a novel, and I have to say, if this movie is the condensed version, then that novel must’ve been dense as hell.

38. Rich and Strange (1931)

rich-and-strange.jpg

This movie’s probably the most bonkers of his early period, and I dug it. It’s basically about a mundane, middle-class couple who clearly don’t have the best marriage, coming into some money and deciding to go on a cruise, where they almost immediately separate and have their own misadventures (including affairs with other people) and come out the other end with their bond stronger than ever…until they get back home and things go right back to normal. The shenanigans are not remotely grounded in reality here – including the husband’s fling with a “princess,” the cruise ship sinking, and an encounter with some Chinese pirates – but it’s all handled in a rather screwball manner and Hitch infuses it with enough personality of its own (using some interstitials a la a silent film even though it is NOT a silent film, for example) to make it an enjoyable watch.

Next batch are all from his Hollywood days, ranging from early to late, including what I find to be one overrated "classic," and one underrated "dud"...

Just discovered my favourite thread. :-) Vertigo is my choice, not of just his films, but of all films outside of CBM's. My favourite director, I have pretty much all his works and books on him and he is just a visionary genius.

Vertigo for me, encapsulates all his motifs, notes & savvy for his ability to tell a story & incorporate his camera movement & techniques, all way ahead of his time.

I think his most 'under-watched' and less 'well known' (outside of his major releases) is Shadow of a Doubt and it's a shame as it's a hum-dinger. If folks not seen it, please get on that, immediately.

Also, for note, I would recommend this set if you haven't got it, it's a beautiful collection....

Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection

Rear Window and Rope are my favourite Hitchcock films. Both are just heart-pounding intense.

Rope in particular is fantastic. I wish it was more well known although I think it time it will develop a following as more people discover Hitchcock films.

Yeah, Rope is just brilliant. It's my second favorite Hitch movie, after Psycho.

I think his most 'under-watched' and less 'well known' (outside of his major releases) is Shadow of a Doubt and it's a shame as it's a hum-dinger. If folks not seen it, please get on that, immediately.

Also, for note, I would recommend this set if you haven't got it, it's a beautiful collection....

Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection
Yep, that collection is what started me on this little odyssey. :up:

Also, according to his daughter, Shadow of a Doubt was Hitchcock’s personal favorite of his own films, so it’s definitely a must-see.

Rope is great, too. Both are in my top 10.

PSYCHO is the easy and obvious choice, and I'm going with it anyway. There is something enduringly modern and relevant about Tony Perkin's performance, more so than even the pyscho-sexual madness of Jimmy Stewart in VERTIGO. It's so perfectly pitched, so diabolically, insidiously off. It's easy to forget that this movie hinges on a reveal. Most people know what's going on thru cultural osmosis already. When I first saw it, I had managed to escape that reveal (#I'm_old). It's literally not an exaggeration to say I haven't been the same since. It's simultaneously one of the most beautiful pieces of directorial audience manipulation and one of the most agelessly enduring portrayals of sincere madness in film history. It is compulsively watchable and relevant nearly 60 years later.

flickchick85: you are doing the lord's work right now. When you finish in this thread, you'd better have another filmmaker in the chamber ready to countdown.

@flickchick85 i'm so glad you took my suggestion (pushiness? lol) and started writing up your thoughts on the films and rankings. i enjoyed reading each of them and it sounds like others are really enjoying it as well :up:

flickchick85: you are doing the lord's work right now. When you finish in this thread, you'd better have another filmmaker in the chamber ready to countdown.
:funny: Thanks, I shall keep that in mind.

@flickchick85 i'm so glad you took my suggestion (pushiness? lol) and started writing up your thoughts on the films and rankings. i enjoyed reading each of them and it sounds like others are really enjoying it as well :up:
I appreciate the push, CC. ;)

These are gonna start getting a little more long-winded as we start getting into the ones that are more interesting to me, so apologies ahead of time, lol.

37. Marnie (1964)

8390398737_8c4c64564d_o.gif

I’ve often seen this film referred to as Hitchcock’s last classic, which is funny, because it was not well-received when it came out. Personally, there are a few of his films made later than this that I prefer, but I get why this has that rep. This was the last film he made with his regular cinematographer, editor and of course composer Bernard Herrmann, so it does indeed feel like the end of an era in his career. And of course, controversy runs deep in this one. This is his 2nd and final collaboration with lead actress Tippi Hedren, who now alleges that he sexually assaulted her on the set of it, after she refused his advances that started on the set of The Birds. This horrifying backstory is made all the worse by what’s happening on screen. Marnie is the story of a woman who’s essentially a career kleptomaniac – she gets jobs as bookkeeper for various companies, steals their money, then changes her identity. She eventually makes the mistake of pulling this con on Mark, played by Sean Connery, whose company was a client of another one that she stole from, and he recognizes her. Mark hires her anyway for his own amusement, becomes infatuated with her, and when she eventually makes her move to steal from him, he tracks her down and instead of turning her in, makes himself an accomplice and forces her marry him. Marnie is a character with some deep sexual trauma in her past, and she’s got a lot of psychological hang-ups. Mark takes advantage of this on multiple occasions, and also becomes obsessed with finding the root of it. He also, in his lust and desire to possess her, rapes her after they’re married, even after playing “the good guy” and promising not to touch her just a day or two before. Mark is a monster in every sense of the word, who doesn’t see Marnie as a person so much as a puzzle to solve. So you can see how this would be extra disturbing to watch, given the real-life context. The parallels of Mark and Marnie’s relationship to Hitchcock and Hedren’s is downright eerie at times, and I get the fascination with this because it’s like we’re seeing Hitchcock’s own psychological hang-ups and sexual obsessions splayed out for all to see. But, I just don’t really hold this in as high esteem as others do because if you look past all that, and just look at the film itself, there are aspects that just aren’t that great by my estimation. The technical aspects are fantastic as only late Hitchcock could be, but the acting. Hoo boy, the acting. Sean Connery is borderline awful in this role. You never see his feelings change toward Marnie, one way or another. The lust and obsession we’re supposed to be seeing from him never materialize. In fact, based on this performance, if I had to guess, I would say he never even spoke to Hedren off-screen, that’s how little interest he shows. This next bit I feel bad saying because of what she went through, but Hedren honestly isn’t much better. She puts in a lot of effort, but she’s just not cut out for such a complex role as this, and it often comes across as a middle school drama version of this grisly subject matter. She’s far from my favorite Hitchcock leading lady, I’ll admit. The other aspect that doesn’t work so well for me is the armchair psychology at work that comes across as downright goofy at times. Now, Spellbound, a film I rank much, much higher on my list, has this same problem, but in that film it actually somewhat adds to the charm, because the story is more wild and escapist to begin with. When dealing with subject matter more sensitive and real such as this, it becomes much harder to find the charm in it.

36. Torn Curtain (1966)

torn2.jpg

Right on the heels of Marnie, Hitchcock returned to a well-worn, far less controversial stomping ground – a spy thriller. A more effective one at least, than Topaz, due in no small part to the more streamlined plot with one clear, central protagonist. Paul Newman stars as a rocket scientist (lol yes) who pretends to defect to East Berlin in order to procure some intel for US intelligence. This is complicated by the involvement of his fiancée, played by Julie Andrews, whom he didn’t let in on this little scheme, but who knows something’s up, knows he wouldn’t defect, and is determined to get to the bottom of it. As Hitchcock spy pictures go, this one’s more run-of-the-mill than most, but even a run-of-the-mill Hitchcock spy flick can be quite entertaining, and this one certainly has standout moments. There’s a fun cat-and-mouse sequence inside a Berlin museum, a couple of memorable chases, and one killer fight sequence in a farmhouse that is absolutely Hitchcock at his finest. Newman and Andrews as leads were apparently forced on Hitchcock by the studio and he reportedly wasn’t happy with them at all, but while their characters were a bit flat, I thought they acquitted themselves just fine here (certainly better than Connery and Hedren!). All that said, this is definitely one of those - like Topaz - that goes on too long and outstays its welcome.

35. Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941)

mr-and-mrs-smith-4.jpg

Yes, Alfred Hitchcock directed a Hollywood screwball comedy, and it actually turned out pretty well. Robert Montgomery and Carole Lombard star as David and Ann, the titular married couple who naturally fight for days and make up on a regular basis, and who one day find out that, due to a technicality, their marriage of three years isn’t actually legal. When David doesn’t propose marriage again, Ann becomes indignant, believing he doesn’t want to be married to her any more, and this sets off a series of hijinks involving friends, lawyers, misunderstandings and the 1939 World’s Fair, all of which of course ultimately leads to our couple finding their way back to each other. There’s not a lot to digest here as this is really a “what you see is what you get” kind of film, and what you get is an entertaining movie carried by two charming leads.

34. Under Capricorn (1949)

UnderCapricorn.jpg

Here’s where I need to go on a little tangent and state something that may be an unpopular opinion: Ingrid Bergman is the best female lead Hitchcock ever had. They collaborated 3 times, and I get the sense that if Bergman hadn’t been “exiled” from Hollywood immediately following this film (for the heinous crime of having an affair and getting pregnant out of wedlock!), the collaborations would have continued. I think it was in a Bergman documentary I once saw, where, when asked to describe their relationship, a mutual friend said he got the sense Hitchcock was always a little bit intimidated by Bergman, though they were very close and became lifelong friends. I’d buy that, because there’s a respect there in the characters he had her playing that isn’t present in most of his other female characters. There’s a fierceness and agency to them that is rare for Hitchcock heroines. Her characters from the two other films on the list have more of that than her character in Under Capricorn, who is more of a broken woman than we’re used to seeing her play, but she’s still ultimately a pretty strong character who nearly single-handedly gives this movie life. The movie is a period drama about a couple that has moved to Australia in the 1800’s (then populated by convicts) in order to escape a horrible secret from their past in Ireland, have started a new life, and face the threat of a newcomer determined to unravel the mystery of their previous life. Joseph Cotton, who’d previously collaborated with Hitchcock on Shadow of a Doubt, is solid here as the husband and convict Sam. Bergman plays his wife Henrietta, a former aristocrat who’s now an alcoholic recluse. Michael Wilding plays the upper-class newcomer who was Henrietta’s childhood sweetheart, and in trying to help her get back to some semblance of her former self, begins to unravel the secret they’ve worked so hard to bury. I’ve often seen this mentioned as one of Hitchcock’s worst, and I just can’t get on board with that. Sure, it’s far from one of his best. The story isn’t particularly thrilling and it doesn’t seem to know exactly what kind of movie it wants to be - for example there’s a weird subplot with a shrunken head that’s, well, weird – but it’s got a lot going for it. For one, the actors are great (including Margaret Leighton as their scheming housekeeper), and the cinematography and production design are lavish. That weird shrunken head bit, while seeming out of tune with the rest of the film, is decently creepy. The most impressive part to me, however, is the extended takes. Hitchcock made this right after Rope and employs a similar approach, albeit far less extreme, in using many extra-long takes. And when one of those extended takes is nearly 10 minutes of Ingrid Bergman monologue-ing her heart out, really, what’s there to complain about? Famous French film magazine Cahiers du Cinema named this one of Hitchcock’s very best, and while I wouldn’t go that far either, I think it’s a very worthwhile entry in his canon.

33. The Wrong Man (1956)

0550.jpg

This is not your typical “wrong man accused” Hitchcock movie, because this film is based on a true story, and Hitchcock himself appears upfront and tells you so. It is, essentially, a docudrama, and he makes a point to keep it as true-to-life as possible (for him). This means he doesn’t sensationalize as much and exercises peak restraint over his more natural cinematic sensibilities, and that in and of itself makes this an interesting watch. Henry Fonda stars as a man who, through a series of bizarre coincidences, ends up being arrested and charged with armed robbery. Now don’t get me wrong, there are still some very nice, creatively composed shots in this film, so it’s not a “point and shoot” like some of his earliest stuff, but Hitchcock’s flashier flourishes are kept to a minimum as he tries to sell the authenticity. It’s cool to see him do something like this because it serves as a brilliant contrast to his other, more outlandish “wrong man” capers. Unlike the sensational conspiracies that usually drive those plots, the stylistic treatment of this as a real-life scenario brings home the chilling realization that all the outlandish stuff here really happened to someone, and therefore, could actually happen to anyone.

Next up, we've got a couple more pre-Hollywood pics, a couple seemingly overlooked ones from his most popular period, and one I'd consider to be an unfairly maligned late entry in his career.

Last edited:
As strong as Marnie is, and absolutely appreciate the era it was made, but the subtext is badly handled, it simply doesn't hold up in contemporary times BUT it does have one of Connery's better performances outside of Bond.

Here’s where I need to go on a little tangent and state something that may be an unpopular opinion: Ingrid Bergman is the best female lead Hitchcock ever had.
Funny you say that, because when I got to this entry and saw the picture atop it, my first thought was "goddamn, I love Ingrid Bergman."

"one I'd consider to be an unfairly maligned late entry in his career."

I suspect you're referring to FAMILY PLOT, but I hope it's the completely bonkers FRENZY.

I suspect you're referring to FAMILY PLOT, but I hope it's the completely bonkers FRENZY.
I suppose it applies to both! I actually never realized Frenzy was that maligned. But yes, FP will be in the next batch, as Frenzy ranks quite a bit higher for me. :D

And yes, Bergman’s status as one of the greatest of all-time is well deserved, IMO. Seems like she was quite the character in real life, too.

Last edited:
Frenzy is just utter bonkers in it's concept & execution. It's an old & tired director giving us his template themes & nuances turned up too 11.

Frenzy is just utter bonkers in it's concept & execution. It's an old & tired director giving us his template themes & nuances turned up too 11.
Yeah I think its title is perfect because I always think of it as “The One Where Hitchcock Lost His Chill,” lol.

Yeah I think its title is perfect because I always think of it as “The One Where Hitchcock Lost His Chill,” lol.

I think it comes off like this, because whether purposely or not, a lifetime of his view that 'it's not what the audience see, it's what they imagine' that makes the suspense, goes completely out of the window and the film very much plays on not leaving anything to the imagination by way of sex, scandal or horror, thus negating what made his film's special in the first place. I like it, but it's not one of his better films, at all.

flickchick i think your reviews might be blog worthy if you ever consider something like that. particularly doing themes like this and what not, i think you'd find a loyal audience

flickchick i think your reviews might be blog worthy if you ever consider something like that. particularly doing themes like this and what not, i think you'd find a loyal audience
I've never been a blogger and I wouldn't know where to start there, but I'll look into it, because I think I'd like a more permanent, easy-to-find place to put these, if only for archival purposes for myself, along with any future viewing odysseys I go on. Thanks for the suggestion, CC! :up:

Ok, onward and upward.

32. I Confess (1953)

regnum_picture_1503474839755130_big.png

The premise of this film – a priest hears the confession of a man who accidentally killed someone, and the priest eventually becomes a suspect in the murder – sent me running straight to Google, because I’m not a Catholic, and I could not for the life of me believe that the Seal of the Confessional would apply in the case of murder. I figured it was like doctor-patient confidentiality and exceptions would be made in these extreme cases, but apparently not. So as a non-Catholic, watching Montgomery Clift’s (oh so pretty) priest struggle with this dilemma was…frustrating, to say the least. However, it’s a fascinating idea, and the true conflict of the film is a man struggling with his own faith (further tested by temptation with Ann Baxter as the one who got away), which makes this feel a brand apart from most of Hitchcock’s other “wrong man accused” films. One thing it does have in common with The Wrong Man is that it’s a bit more somber and straight-laced than Hithcock’s usual crime stories. There’s none of that playfulness that’s usually present, and you can tell he takes this idea very seriously. While Hitchcock may lay the religious imagery on a little thick, I can't deny it results in some gorgeous shots. My one real disappointment with this film is that the central moral conflict is so compelling on its own, it almost feels like a cop-out when (spoiler alert!) it turns out the "accidental murderer" is intentionally framing the priest. The film didn’t need such a villain in the traditional sense, and I think it could have been even better without one.

31. The Trouble with Harry (1955)

125651.jpg

Where has this movie been all my life? This is one of those films I’d never even heard of before starting this little project, and I don’t know why, because it’s a blast. Ever wondered what Weekend at Bernie’s would be like if made by Alfred Hitchcock? Then this is the film for you. “The trouble with Harry is, he’s dead.” That’s basically the premise of the film. Harry is a dead body, and he’s an inconvenience for everyone that finds him. Some think they themselves have killed him, others are glad he’s gone, and no one in particular seems too concerned that a person had died – they just care what it means for them now. This is a straight-up black comedy that’s pretty much a one-joke type of affair, but it’s impressive how well Hitchcock is able to milk that joke for the entire length of the film without it getting old. I suppose it’s not one of his more talked-about films partially because it was a massive commercial failure and partially because it doesn’t feature much of what people go to Hitchcock films looking for – the crazy dramatic cinematography (though there are some great visual gags), nail-biting suspense, etc. – but what it does have is Shirley Maclaine killin' it in her debut film role, Hitchcock’s first collaboration with composer Bernard Herrmann and busloads of his trademark macabre humor. That’s gotta be worth something, right?

30. Blackmail (1929)

blackmailfeature.jpg

This is considered one of his 9 silent films, though it was released as a talkie. It’s my understanding that it started production as a silent film but sound was quickly becoming popular, and the studio decided during production that Hitchcock should film some scenes with sound, so he did. There’s apparently still a fully-silent version out there, but the version I saw was the “talkie” version, and even at that, a lot of the picture still plays like a silent film. Only portions of it include sound. Regardless, this a pretty darn good flick. The plot is about a detective and his girlfriend who get into a fight after an evening out, and the girlfriend leaves with another man. After a bit of flirting at the man’s apartment, he attempts to rape her, and she kills him in self-defense. Her beau the detective is assigned to the case, and having seen her leave with the dead man, he covers for her. The two then are blackmailed by someone who knows their secret. The story is compelling, Anny Ondra delivers a strong performance in the lead role, and the cinematography is fantastic. There are some really great shots in this flick, especially during a chase through the British Museum. The part that most impressed me, however, was the handling of the attempted rape. I’m sure it would have been very scandalous at the time, but the way Hitchcock works around the standards and avoids showing the act here is masterful, as it primarily happens behind a curtain. When Ondra’s character emerges from behind the curtain after killing her assailant, instead of being in hysterics, as most movies of this time likely would have done, she’s eerily calm, clearly dissociative and in shock. That’s what sells the trauma of the event, and it feels like a portrayal that’s very ahead of its time.

29. Secret Agent (1936)

sa-cast21.jpg

This film doesn’t really do anything new for Hitchcock, but it’s got just about everything you could want from a Hitchcock spy caper – murder, intrigue, a mysterious dramatic object our heroes must track down the origin of in order to complete their mission, a jaded critique of establishment norms, and of course, a case of mistaken identity. Set during WWI, this is about a British officer, played by John Gielgud, who returns home only to see his own obituary in the paper. He learns this is not a mistake, and that he has actually been drafted into an intelligence plot to locate a German agent en route to Arabia, and that his death has been faked so that he can adopt a new identity. Part of this new identity involves a new fake wife, played by Madeleine Carol, a year after her acclaimed collaboration with Hitch on The 39 Steps. Our fake newlyweds are assisted by a mysterious character known as The General – who’s not a general – played by Peter Lorre. This cast is awesome (I’m not familiar with Gielgud, but apparently he was a big name British stage actor at the time, and he’s quite good here), and the twists and turns of the film, while somewhat predictable, still make for an entertaining ride. The most compelling aspect for me is how Hitchcock’s critical view on blind patriotism and government operations spins things, as this is ultimately a rather dark story that shows us how a true patriot, who initially joined the mission with great enthusiasm, gradually becomes disillusioned with the cruel and callous world of government espionage, mostly represented by Lorre’s borderline sociopathic General. Carroll’s character initially plays a part in this disillusionment too, as our hero is rather appalled at how irreverent she is about their ruse, and she admits she has primarily agreed to do it for the thrill. But the two bond over their shared horror at the things they witness and are expected to take part in, and by the end of it, you get a sense that this little adventure has partially destroyed them both, or at least, their innocence, and they quit the business altogether.

28. Family Plot (1976)

FamilyPlot.jpg

Hitchcock’s final feature is seemingly always mentioned as one of his duds, and I suppose, even though I don’t necessarily agree, I can at least understand why. Like The Trouble with Harry, this isn’t really the type of film we look to Hitchcock for. It’s described as a “comedy thriller,” but while some thriller elements do sneak in during the third act, I’d put the emphasis on “comedy” here. It’s just a comedy featuring murder, kidnapping and other criminal activity. It’s about a fake psychic whose elderly client offers her a large reward to find her lost nephew because she wants to make him her heir. Said "psychic" accepts the challenge and enlists her cab driver boyfriend to help her track down the now adult nephew. So we follow that couple, and then we also follow a couple that turns out to be the adult nephew (who has faked his death and changed his identity) and his girlfriend, who are now career criminals that run a jewel thieving and kidnapping racket. Upon learning that these two strangers are trying to track him down, presumably to turn him into the police for the reward on his head, the nephew plots to have them killed. What follows is essentially a comedy of errors among a bunch of shady individuals. The plot to this one could be described as convoluted like Topaz, but unlike that one, this one may be complicated, but it’s always totally coherent. The craftsmanship here is top notch as ever, but really what makes it very worthwhile to me is the cast of awesome characters Hitchcock has assembled here. Barbara Harris and Bruce Dern are wonderful as our fake psychic and her hapless boyfriend, William Devane is absolutely inspired casting as the sleazy nephew, and Karen Black does well as his partner in crime. In a way, I feel like this is something of a spiritual cousin to The Trouble with Harry, in part because they are rare Hitchcock films that are truly carried by an ensemble, rather than a lead or two and their supporting cast, and in part because I feel like they’ve gotten the short end of the stick for being dark comedies from a guy people didn’t want comedies at all from, despite them actually being pretty good dark comedies. Bonus: a nice post-Jaws, pre-Star Wars score by John Williams!

Next up, 3 more gems from his British period, one of his most famous flicks that I love but think it often gets ranked a bit more highly than it deserves, and one overlooked film starring a cinema icon he should've worked with more than once, dammit.

Last edited:
I am recently on marathon through Hitchcock movies. I watched Rope, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Strangers on the train, The man who knew too much, Dial M for murder, To catch a thief.

My favorites for now are Rear Window and To catch a thief.

EDIT: I watched Vertigo. Now that's my favorite.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"