The All Encompassing Zorro thread

'Zorro' to Get Post-Apocalyptic Reboot Film http://thr.cm/X2oz2W

I don't the idea of a modern day Zorro, but a futuristic Zorro screams 'Poochie'.

Seriously, I still think the 'Poochie' episode of The Simpsons encapsulates the contrived nature of Hollywood's obsession of being 'cool, hip, and edgy' where they're not. They're just looking at the wrong data.

Looks like you're still right.

Gael García Bernal was rumoured for this for a long time. Wonder if he'll get the call?

Ah, so this thing lives again.

'Zorro' to Get Post-Apocalyptic Reboot Film http://thr.cm/X2oz2W
i2OHZE9.gif

And gets his butt handed to him by an awesome one-armed bald woman. ;)

Looks like the post apocalyptic Zorro is back in the news, and back on the table, sort of?
Abandoned by Fox and picked up by who knows who?
- http://www.superherohype.com/news/350581-post-apocalyptic-zorro-reboot-is-on-the-way

As expected it's getting the usual troll-hate...and ...Zorro only belongs in the past! Ignorant comments.

Zorro has been a Legacy character before the Phantom, before Batman, since the second Zorro film 1925.
When Zorro(Fairbanks) fought alongside and passed the legacy to his son (Also played by Fairbanks)
jaowzpT.gif

The legacy continued to be passed down to later generations, through the 30-50s republic serial eras, where his grand sons and others legacy Zorro's rode alongside (at the time modern) automobiles, swinging from buildings, fighting mobsters and racketeers, etc... Before Batman, before Spider-Man...
Zorro%20Rides%20Again%201937_1.gif~original

Zorro%20Rides%20Again%201937.gif

Even having a modern retractable belt-buckle sword (see Zorro's F.L. which inspired Lucas & Spielberg Star Wars & Indian Jones).

The 90s rebooted version Hopkins (Diego) passed the name and Legacy to Banders (Alejandro). Who then followed the same implying Alejandro and Zeta Jones(Elena) would pass the legacy yet again to Joaquin, their son. And into the future.
As did Zorro Gen Z which actually took the Legacy into the future; with laZer sword, whip and motorcycle.
rez5i.gif

Yes the original De La Vega is set in 1800's, I'd love to see more of that.
The legacy has canonically always been carried on towards the future though.
That is part of Zorro!

That said, doesn't mean what Fox and now this new crew are putting together will be great.
I'm sceptical of it's production too.
But the premise does have strong roots with the character.

Last edited:
Also looks like that leaked SONY: Django / Zorro movie is off the table.

Vulture: So all the potential movies you’ve mentioned through the years —....the Django/Zorro crossover... — those will probably never happen, right?

Tarantino: No. ....[Killer Crow]...that’s the only one that could possibly be done.
:argh:

The Django/Zorro comic it was based on was actually a pretty good read, and would have made a decent movie. Both as a sequel to Django, and expansion of the Zorro franchise.
Also it was based loosely on some real life events and character. - James Reavis - The Baron of Arizona (and an old Vincent price movie) Whoever would have got to play the Baron, would have stolen the movie.
And it had a big cinematic Peckinpah finish.

DZ2-covs-final-1000x600.jpg

Zorro was pretty well portrayed, this was an older Zorro, to fit into Django's timeline. The only thing Dynamite, Wagner & Tarantino botched (as usual with contemporary takes on Zorro) is they had Zorro refuse to use a gun, which was never the case. And particularly McCulley pulp Zorro which they seemed to draw from, who implicitly does in fact carry and uses pistols.
As did Fairbanks & Tyrone Powers, Disney etc...(previous rants)

tEbD3DX.jpg

With Tarantino out of the pipeline, SONY might return to their original Zorro reboot Year-One type, Origin movie plan.
Based on the Allende Novel.

Last edited:
Love me a well written and acted Zorro.

Classic Hollywood swashbuckling is always fun.

Even when it's parody like "Zorro,the Gay Blade"

PЯOVOSҬ;32178213 said:
Love me a well written and acted Zorro.

Classic Hollywood swashbuckling is always fun.

Even when it's parody like "Zorro,the Gay Blade"
LOL!
To the point, that was yet another Zorro "legacy" movie, Zorro in that film has two children, one raised in California becomes the new Zorro dressed in black, who uses a sword, but breaks his leg. Enter the other; Bunny Wiglesworth, the more colorful of the two, only uses a whip, who had gone to England, and now must fill in for Zorro.

It was actually pretty funny. George Hamilton made a pretty decent (Diego)Zorro, and his Bunny Wiglesworth was appropriately over the top! Although I think he wanted to be the Scarlet Pimpernel!
KxKqOwV.jpg

:funny:...................................Bunny Wigglesworth: "Black is so tacky."

In the endd they fight side by side, brother and brother!
60E4ueX.gif
OMG the yellow!

Also if you are familiar with Disney's TaleSpin, you'll notice Don Karnage (one of the best villains in Disney Animation) is an insane reinvented Captain Esteban.
Once you see and hear it, it's inescapable. :woot:
don_karnage_by_w_goldwing-d45xooj.jpg
PZm1snY.jpg

Last edited:
Gael García Bernal was rumoured for this for a long time. Wonder if he'll get the call?
Yep he was attached to Fox's futuristic more sci-fi Zorro a while back.

It is interesting that his buddy Diego Luna who others suggested would make a great Zorro, has since been slated for Star Wars.
KvBXzd3.jpg

And Óscar Isaac Hernández also listed here as a potential Zorro, was also cast in Star Wars.
aR3W1Gu.jpg

Poor García Bernal got the raw deal.
His Sci-fi character, future version of Zorro will likely remain in production hell.

Last edited:
Not unless the new Zorro reboot cast's him. http://thr.cm/X2oz2W
Could be, although they inherited the abandoned post-apocalyptic Zorro production from FOX, I doubt it came with García Bernal attached, who had signed up for FOX's version.
That went nowhere.
This new production sounds more like it might end up as a straight to DVD, if made at all.

Now that the SONY Tarantino version is also scraped, hopefully SONY and/or Columbia Pictures, who were at one point developing their own more traditional Origin of Zorro, actually set in 1800s, based on the Allende Novel.
Will now return to that production. - http://www.superherohype.com/news/294417-playwright-chris-boal-to-rewrite-zorro-reboot

Zorro_(novel)_cover.jpg

Last edited:
Pedro Pascal! Pedro Pascal!
Yes, Pedro Pascal would actually be great!

Although as soon as he starts taunting his mountainous prey, as Zorro is prone to do, everyone is going to flash back to this,
F9gfmNo.gif

Which wouldn't be bad, as it's all very Zorro like.
Except the scene that comes after, which I will not post, cause, ...The horror! :shock
I don't think I can relive that moment.

Although maybe they can re-stage a similar scene, with sword and whip instead of spear, and have Pascal now as Zorro, redeem the fight.

Last edited:
Pedro would be great... I was wanting a Dark Knight Returns type finale with Antonio though :o

I finally got to see the full 2 hour version of the 1975 Alain Delon ZORRO a couple of weeks ago. It's on youtube (it's in English with Polish subtitles)....wish it was on region 1 DVD.

Pedro would be great... I was wanting a Dark Knight Returns type finale with Antonio though :o
They could actually still do that.
Hopkins played the out-going Zorro when he was at least 60. Banderas I believe is mid 50s, so they could definitely have his last ride, as he passes the mantle to his son Joaquin.

The deleted extras for Legend of Zorro, hint at exactly that, where an older Alejandro and Elena, watch a now grown Joaquin put on the mask and ride out as Zorro.

qjod8.gif

SONY was definitely considering establishing the mantle being past to Joaquin and moving it to the next gen.

Last edited:
I finally got to see the full 2 hour version of the 1975 Alain Delon ZORRO a couple of weeks ago. It's on youtube (it's in English with Polish subtitles)....wish it was on region 1 DVD.
Fun movie, part spaghetti western, part camp, franco-italo take on the character.
With one crazy theme song - "...Heres to being free ...la la la la la la Zorros back!" - LOL!

Rather than California, it takes place in Caribbean south America, , and Diego on top of taking on the Zorro persona, is actually impersonating an assassinated Governor(friend), who tasks him with defending the people of the land.

For all it's hokiness, Alain Delon delivers. And it's got one of the most epic Zorro defining moments.
When they push to far and murder the Padre, it absolves Zorro of his vow never kill, the crowd parts...cue (classical acoustic guitar) ....and you know it's on!
As Zorro is pushed to finaly breaks his vow never to kill.
"It's easy to kill saints Colonel, ...Now lets see how you do against a sinner"
Zorro%201975%20Saint%20Sinner%20Alain%20Delon%20best.gif

:awesome:

There is a couple of versions of this film, one heavily edited where the choppiness gives it a more gritty feel.
The other has much more set-up, although you get a bit more exposition on some things, such as the "legend" aspect, and more side characters, which kind of drags.
But still a great Zorro.

Last edited:
Pedro Pascal! Pedro Pascal!
Pedro would be great...

Another interesting Pedro Pascal connection, is the legend of Joaquin Murieta who Zorro is somewhat based on.

murieta1.gif
U6topZA.jpg

Joaquin Murieta - according to his first "biographer" John Rollin Ridge - was a Chilean ex-pat who was living in Mexico/California at the time.
As is Pedro Pascal.

wfvsWFG.gif
joaq.jpg

I would love it if Pedro Pascal was cast in SONY's more classic Zorro, set in 1800s, using the origin written by Allende.
Who by no coincidence is also Chilean.

FYI - not suggesting they should change the origin, just pointing out the personal connections for the above mentioned.

Last edited:
There is a couple of versions of this film, one heavily edited where the choppiness gives it a more gritty feel.
The other has much more set-up, although you get a bit more exposition on some things, such as the "legend" aspect, and more side characters, which kind of drags.
But still a great Zorro.

I first saw it back in 1976. It was shown on Network TV and I loved it. It was decades later before I was able to see it again when I found it on VHS tape. When I watched it, I knew it was cut up. Been looking for a full version for decades. So far I haven't been able to find one on tape or disc. I found a widescreen version with what I think are Polish subtitles on youtube. That's what I watched.

A couple of other Zorro movies I found on youtube are - Zorro The Bold Caballero (1936) starring Robert Livingston. According to IMDB this is the only movie so far to have Zorro wear a full face covering mask like he was originally illustrated as having. I also watched Son of Zorro (1973) starring Alberto Dell'Acqua. This was interesting because he was a blonde Zorro.

. I also watched Son of Zorro (1973) starring Alberto Dell'Acqua. This was interesting because he was a blonde Zorro.
AKA - Il figlio di Zorro
LOL! Italian productions tended to cast a blond Zorro.
180px-2625.jpg

Also Sean Flynn, son of Errol Flynn
3DZsKS2.jpg

And the Italian/Japanese anime...
1FSs3N2.gif

Also for a laugh, check out Zorro contro Maciste
Maciste being a recurring Italian cinema hero.

Pretty much Zorro vs. Hercules.

That era's Dawn of Justice: Batman vs. Superman! LOL!:funny:

3u6BVvl.jpg

DdwAJiG.jpg

Last edited:
Also for a laugh, check out Zorro contro Maciste
Maciste being a recurring Italian cinema hero.

Pretty much Zorro vs. Hercules.

That era's Dawn of Justice: Batman vs. Superman! LOL!:funny:

3u6BVvl.jpg

DdwAJiG.jpg

Just two days ago I watched WINNETOU starring Pierre Brice. After seeing that, I was checking out Brice's page on IMDB and saw the Maciste contre Zorro movie listed. I found it on youtube and plan to watch it soon.

Have you seen the Pierre Brice movie called INVINCIBLE MASKED RIDER where he is listed as Don Diego? Does he dress up as Zorro in it too?

Have you seen the Pierre Brice movie called INVINCIBLE MASKED RIDER where he is listed as Don Diego? Does he dress up as Zorro in it too?
No I haven't seen that one, cool poster though.
Although with a few changes it seems to be a swipe from Disney's most standard in-house look for the character and poster art.
It was used for the Italian release of Disney's Zorro the Avenger, which was a series of Disney episodes, edited and released a s movie over seas.
They just added a few european flairs for Invincible Masked Rider.
rMznZa3.jpg

40133.jpg

DfCPiM2.jpg

The whole character is pretty much a swipe, just Zorro in everything but name, only set in Europe.
Calling him Don Diego, Don is just a title, and Diego a pretty standard name, like Sir John. So I can see how they got away with it.
It doesn't interest me that much, but I might check it out. I'm more interested in works based closer to McCulley's vision.
-

Swiping Zorro, and unlicensed productions seemed to have been petty commonplace in that era.
Zorro.inc or whoever defended their trademarks, and copyrights, didn't do a very good job protecting them at all, especially not over seas.
And even when they did officially license, (After Disney) it was often to pretty low-end productions.

Guy%20Williams%20Zorro%20159%208-25-7.jpg

McCulley was hired by Disney as consultant/writer on the series, but I don't think after Disney McCulley (and his family) were able to keep or protect the license, seems to have gone to his lawyer Gertz and family. Who seeme to have had no compulsion licensing out the character for any quick dollar.

More criminally they let most of McCulley's actual work go without official reprinting and reproductions, so if you wanted to read it, the only way was, you had to track down the actual original pulps.
Instead they only focused on publishing and licensing "new" material. Which is fine, but they could have done both.
It's only recently small presses have gained rights to reproduce most of of the original pulp stories as they've finally lapsed into public domain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"