Zorro

Cosmic

Mystic
Reaction score
There's a new Zorro series, by Dynamite Entertainment. I really enjoyed the first issue, and didn't see any threads, so I'll just post my thoughts here.

Zorro #1 mainly explores his childhood, narrated by his friend Bernardo. He tells of the spiritual journeys and rites of passage that lead to young Diego eventually becoming the legendary hero. A corrupt soldier tells his companions of an encounter with Zorro, who he describes as a demon, or some kind of force of nature. The artwork and storytelling are top notch.

I was really surprised by how good this issue was. I figured Wagner would've written a good script, but this was excellent.

My one nitpick is that I would've prefered this series to be in black and white. Francavilla's art in Sorrow was gorgeous without color. I think the coloring here overshadows the line work.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the first issue. Never much of a Zorro fan, but this has me interested.

I've never been a big fan, but I remember watching some old Zorro movies on a film projector with family and friends when I was a little kid, and at the time, I thought it was all pretty amazing.

I'm not familiar with Francavilla's art, but I agree that the coloring overpowers the linework...maybe a bit too much. But at the same time, I feel that the coloring is one of the best aspects of the book. They use a broad palette, and everything blends together well. It's really beautifully and carefully done. It would be great if we could see some B&W sample pages, though!

I saw this but didn't pick it up. Maybe I'll see if there are any issues left next week.

I've always liked Zorro as a character. I used to buy the Zorro comics when Topps had the license back in the 90s. I even bought the spinoff Lady Rawhide. Anyone else remember that?

Great first issue. I used to watch the cartoon back when I was a kid and Diego became one of my favorite heroes in fiction, so I was pretty sad when he was killed off in the "Mask of Zorro" movie. Since then, though, the character just faded away over the years for me, but this comic has really sparked my interest in Zorro again. :woot::up:

Finally read it last night. Pretty good, actually. Zorro's got a pretty powerful origin. I wasn't aware of the Native American aspect of it, but I liked the stuff about animal spirits and the paths they represent.

Finally read it last night. Pretty good, actually. Zorro's got a pretty powerful origin. I wasn't aware of the Native American aspect of it, but I liked the stuff about animal spirits and the paths they represent.

I think Wagner came up with the native american stuff.

Please send me a PM if you have any of the variant covers.

I haven't read this issue, but I've read the original Zorro stories and if there's anything Native American-y in this comic then it's probably new. There's some Native American mentions in the originals but not much.

There's a lot more than mentions in the new series. I don't mind it, even if it is a retcon. It's a good addition.

I'm liking everything so far, new additions included. The only exception being Zorro's lack of mustacheness. :down

I didn't even notice. I can't remember seeing his adult face without shadows...

I don't have the issue with me, but I think there's a really good look at him on the inside of the back cover, which I believe is the preview image of #2's cover. Plus, if you look at them, you can see that he's got a babyface on all of the covers for issue 1.

Oh, I wasn't necessarily counting covers. Francavilla could have very different ideas about how to draw Zorro from the cover artists.

Yeah, that's true. Still, though, Wagner's doing the art direction, and if his covers are anything to judge by, he's probably directing Francavilla to do Diego without the mustache. I guess it remains to be seen.

True, true. Oh well, I was never a huge fan of the 'stache anyway. ;)

It's from Isabel Allende's Zorro novel actually.

Good first issue. I've been a fan of Wagner's work for sometime and Francavilla's art looked great. Plus I've liked Zorro since I was a kid. Can't wait for more. :applaud

I'm still collecting this title. The artwork has steadily improved over time. They flattened out the color palette a bit, and the pencils look great. The stories are excellent. This title is like a diamond in the rough. Definitely in my top five favorites, right now.

The variant covers are pretty awesome. Cassiday, Wagner and I believe the ones that looked like AH! were by Mike Mayhew. Wonderful covers by him, I thought.

He did a pretty cool Zorro cover for Zorro Matanzas #1.

I kinda like how Wagner took aspects of Isabel Allnde's fictional biography of Zorro. Good stuff.

This series has so many great covers. I don't think I have any of the variant covers, but I did look them up just now, and I want them all. I've looked at a couple of Mayhew's pieces and they look brilliant. I love his cover to #1. Ryan Sook has a couple of awesome covers, as well. If I had to pick a favorite, I think I might go with Francavilla, but it's really hard to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"