the ancient bond case.

mister Lennon

Civilian
Reaction score
I mean, Roger Moore was a great Bond in his first three movies, live and let die, the man with the golden gun and the spy who loved me, but in his last films, like moonraker, for your eyes only and specially in octopussy and a view to a kill he was pretty old. 52 years old in moonraker, 54 years old in for eyes only, 56 years old in octopussy and 58 years old in a view to a kill. It was pretty ridiculous and absurd seeing a 50 something moore trying to look agile and fast in the action scenes, with tons of double doing the most part of it. Why the producers were so dumb on keep casting a 50 something moore for Bond?,its was pretty absurd.

Also, something to clear. I like a lot Moore as bond, in fact , he is my favourite bond after connery. His charm and british class were perfect and i liked his sense of humour in his first movies because it was new and fresh for the franchise. But i think that casting him in his 50s in his last pair of movies was simply wrong, also, the sense of humour in his last two movies was campy and not that funny anymore.

mister Lennon said:
I mean, Roger Moore was a great Bond in his first three movies, live and let die, the man with the golden gun and the spy who loved me, but in his last films, like moonraker, for your eyes only and specially in octopussy and a view to a kill he was pretty old. 52 years old in moonraker, 54 years old in for eyes only, 56 years old in octopussy and 58 years old in a view to a kill. It was pretty ridiculous and absurd seeing a 50 something moore trying to look agile and fast in the action scenes, with tons of double doing the most part of it. Why the producers were so dumb on keep casting a 50 something moore for Bond?,its was pretty absurd.

Bond movies are absurd.

Moore only began looking his age in FYEO, but that was okay because 007 was supposed to be 50ish in the movie. It's easy to overlook it in Octopussy because Bond never does anything an extremely fit man (say, a Goverment agent) of 50ish wouldn't be able to do. In A View to a Kill it finally becomes ludicrous, but who cares?

Not, maybe it doesnt care, but it was an issue that wasnt talked in this forum and i wanted to talk about it.

I agree in part with your reasons, but in think that in his last two films, the produces could cast someone younger, i mean, imagine dalton in octopussy and a view to a kill, i think that the movies will be better , specially the action, will be better with him.

Roger 'got away with it' until View to a kill.

That was the only time I looked at the screen and saw an old man.

Mind you, he was on TV recently and hasn't actually aged much since then!

In FYEO he ages and you go "Well this would be him at the end ofo his career" (kind of like Brosnan in DAD and Connery most definetly in NSNA) but then he kept goin....In Octopussy it was painfully obvious. In AVTAK it just became a complete joke and the shower scene at the end was a little bit creepy, but hey that was a bad movie anyways.

The reason he stayed on so long though was because to that generation he was Bond (just as Connery was to the '60s and Brosnan very much was to the generation that grew up in the '90s) and it was painful to see him go, because he had done 5 movies and then by 7 he was James Bond. But it was time to move on.

Unfortunately for Cubby, NO ONE wanted Dalton, especially after Brosnan got the part and couldn't do it because of Remington Steele. But Dalton did his best (would have preferred Neil myself) and after some red tape, it became clear in the six year gap the studio didn't want Dalton (MGM, not EON) and Dalton didn't want to fight for it, so he stepped down. Then Brosnan easily took the part.

Now for a much painful divorce flashback a few years back. Connery left eagerly kicking and screaming, Lazenby shrugged it off stupidly, Moore and Cubby agreed it was time, Dalton didn't make a big fuss over it (it was a cross between lack of desire on both parties), but Brosnan was downright fired. As much as I like CR and enjoyed Craig, I think how they handeled getting rid of Brosnan was crappy and should've either told him "Fin" after DAD or made another in '04, but c'est la vie. Not nearly as classy as Cubby though.

I'm just rambling now, so I'll stop thusly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"