The Best Underrated Film Scores From The Past And Today

KRYPTON INC.

Incorporated Kryptonian
Reaction score
We all tend to remember the giants, the film scores and composers that defined music in cinema and influenced all that came after. And we all know the modern masters that will become the giants of the future. However, what of the lesser lights? Share with your fellow Hypersters the film scores that you find memorable or moving or just great listens that aren't as widely known or remembered by the masses. Choose them from any era you wish starting from the golden age of Hollywood in the 1940's though to today.

Growing up as an 80's child of course the big themes from films like Star Wars or Indiana Jones were ubiquitous but just as there are some still great lesser works from that era film-wise, so too do some of those lesser films have some great work on their scores. Two films which qualify in my mind also happened to employ the same man to come up with their music: Craig Safan. His work on the scores for THE LAST STAR FIGHTER and REMO WILLIAMS: THE ADVENTURE BEGINS enhances both films, no matter what one might think of them as movies.

The Last Star Fighter main theme:
[YT]-kv95SnA9D0[/YT]

Remo Williams main theme:
[YT]uxAjVfDOTs4[/YT]

I think if you are familiar with these films you can't help but think of them the second you hear these tracks.

Because almost no one has heard of him...

Jamin Winans

Can't find a good link but Nils Frahm's work on Victoria is excellent. Particularly the tracks "The Shooting" and "A Stolen Car".

Can't find a good link but Nils Frahm's work on Victoria is excellent. Particularly the tracks "The Shooting" and "A Stolen Car".

Nils Frahm's THEM from VICTORIA OST:
[YT]9n_StVFiaf4[/YT]

I grew up in the 90's but Danny Elfman, Basil Poledouris, Tangerine Dream and James Newton Howard were my absolute favs growing up.

Anyways, I find Clint Mansell very underrated. I never see anyone else talk about his work. I love all the music he's made in the movies I've seen with his work. I think his work on the Fountain soundtrack totally elevated the film. I feel the same way for Requiem for a Dream, Moon, and Smokin' Aces.

Marc Streitenfeld I find underrated aswell. I enjoy alot of the work he's done for Ridley Scott.

I grew up in the 90's but Danny Elfman, Basil Poledouris, Tangerine Dream and James Newton Howard were my absolute favs growing up.

Anyways, I find Clint Mansell very underrated. I never see anyone else talk about his work. I love all the music he's made in the movies I've seen with his work. I think his work on the Fountain soundtrack totally elevated the film. I feel the same way for Requiem for a Dream, Moon, and Smokin' Aces.

Marc Streitenfeld I find underrated aswell. I enjoy alot of the work he's done for Ridley Scott.

Clint Mansell, Death Is The Road To Awe from The Fountain OST:
[YT]0x8MP3L_nvA[/YT]

I have always had a real soft spot for the Richard Donner directed fantasy/romance LADYHAWKE. And part of the reason in the score, a collaboration by Andrew Powell and Alan Parsons. A mix of standard orchestral arrangements and a touch of 1980's synth.

Ladyhawke OST opening titles/main theme:
[YT]BY7TNQZGSSs[/YT]

A clip from the movie. A moment without dialogue showing the bittersweet moment when the characters can almost touch as human beings. The music does it's fair share of helping to drive the emotions home:
[YT]1ODVyWqW4ps[/YT]

Joseph Trapanese

[YT]v3Uy5P2hKws[/YT]

[YT]DYqu7ejXaZg[/YT]

[YT]g5A83fXUikc[/YT]

Known for many amazing works on screen, Elmer Bernstein's list of credits is legendary. From The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape's iconic scores to his work on Ghostbuters. An underrated gem is what he did for STRIPES with Harold Ramis and Bill Murray.

Stripes March:
[YT]Yz1Yi9WEKFE[/YT]

The theme for Murray's character, John Winger:
[YT]nmp64zyU4Dk[/YT]

Paris Texas - Ry Cooder
Mishima - Philip Glass

Thanks for posting, I kept getting error, so..

Conan The Barbarian
[YT]5ZY2mRG5mzg[/YT]
[YT]ZeZL2R9jDJM[/YT]
basically whole soundtrack, nobody talks about it ever when it comes to this discussions. Basil Poledouris

I disagree about Poledouris' Conan The Barbarian being underrated. It always gets mentioned when ranking the greatest film scores of all time. The only thing underrated about it was that it never got nominated for any major awards for best film score.

I disagree about Poledouris' Conan The Barbarian being underrated. It always gets mentioned when ranking the greatest film scores of all time. The only thing underrated about it was that it never got nominated for any major awards for best film score.

Yeah I agree. I love it to death but it's certainly in the upper echelon of film scores when talking about it's popularity and recognizablility.

Carpenter's scores are respected but I don't think he comes to mind immediately when talking about film scores and yet the man is a master of matching his visuals with his music.

Main Title Escape From New York done by Carpenter himself:
[YT]wYZEtMyAhP0[/YT]

The end scene of Carpenter's Starman with it's soaring but bittersweet theme as created by Jack Nitsche:
[YT]IJsCfnuytEk[/YT]

And of course the music Ennio Morricone produced for Carpenter's The Thing from 1982
[YT]EnFc7D0ZoCc[/YT]

Last edited:
Another underrated score, probably because the eclectic soundtrack is so iconic is the work Elmer Bernstein did for the 1981 film Heavy Metal.

The Sword (Taarna Prepares):
[YT]eOmbhvycci4[/YT]

My Whips:
[YT]Mr0KMlmJWjk[/YT]

I find it hard to not see Dragonheart listed as one of the better scores.
[YT]watch?v=UTKSUlMbp9A[/YT]

I know Narnia doesn't have the "richness" of LOTR, but it's got some music that is dang good in its own right.

[YT]watch?v=OXrI-ridCSg&list=PL9CDF7B24D77C2972&index=13[/YT]

Ghostbusters gets a lot of love for its upbeat 80s music, but the theme for Dana is one of the best I ever heard.

[YT]watch?v=D_bAlypgvi4[/YT]

I think How To Train Your Dragon is one of the best scored films of this
decade. I can't say the movie's underrated..but I feel like the score could stand alongside Alan Menkin's work in Disney and doesn't seem to really get the attention that I believe it deserves.

[YT]/watch?v=rY07_dX3F88[/YT]

Batman: MOTP is the best Batman movie and has the best Batman theme.

Elfman's theme captures the darkness and theatrical nature of Batman, but Walker takes it to another level by combining darkness and operatic overtones with an underlying sense of heroism.

[YT]watch?v=C-m0ehT3_mo[/YT]

I think James Horner tended to be underappreciated during his lifetime..seen by some as taking musical short cuts. But I'll be damned if he didn't nail emotive elements.
(a little loud)

[YT]watch?v=iXiPbjT8qNM[/YT]

Zimmer's a funny one, because I think his recent work is overrated, whereas
I think his earlier work was truly masterful.

[YT]watch?v=CIgM81CaJDc[/YT]

As good as WONDER WOMAN was as a movie, I think its score should get more attention.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ise1XcxOidQ&index=6&list=PLD6Ok61PnGUIix5-c15-MZHdNqrRr2GWz[/YT]

I feel like movies tend to get their scores overlooked unless the movies are absolutely amazing (LOTR/Star Wars/TDK, for example).

Fat Man And Little Boy score is underrated even for Morricone, imo.

Finale/End Title (alternate)
[YT]Co01AGR4k0g[/YT]

We Must Not Forget-Alternate
[YT]F4dhZqVzEyQ[/YT]

One Thousand Times Love/Love is Ended
[YT]BzBOWaOVnpA[/YT]

John Ottman's X-Men scores don't get enough love. In particular Days of Future Past and Apocalypse are quite memorable, and some of the best modern superhero scoring.

Abel Korzeniowski deserves more attention as well, his Nocturnal Animals score is gorgeously melodic and a must listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"