The Future of the Oscars...

On the subject of animation, might as well drop the category altogether if people are simply going to vote for Disney's film every year.

Was this thread created before or after Will Smith ended his own career on the night it should have been his best night in his career.

Was this thread created before or after Will Smith ended his own career on the night it should have been his best night in his career.
If Smith's career "ended" last night, while Sean Penn, Russell Crowe, Christian Bale still get their choice of roles, that's going to be a heck of a condemnation for Hollywood's attempts to claim "We're not racist anymore."

On the subject of animation, might as well drop the category altogether if people are simply going to vote for Disney's film every year.
They should have introduced a vocal performance category years ago (it seemed like Serkis as Gollum nearly pushed them into it) and now we see why not - they just don't respect animation. At all.

If Smith's career "ended" last night, while Sean Penn, Russell Crowe, Christian Bale still get their choice of roles, that's going to be a heck of a condemnation for Hollywood's attempts to claim "We're not racist anymore."

They should have introduced a vocal performance category years ago (it seemed like Serkis as Gollum nearly pushed them into it) and now we see why not - they just don't respect animation. At all.
On one hand, I want it. On the other hand... would the Disney money machine result in Academy Award Winnter Chris Pratt for Onward.... :o

Apart from Into the Spider-Verse miraculously winning even when up against Disney movies like Ralph Breaks the Internet and Incredibles 2, I haven't taken the category seriously since they snubbed The Lego Movie back in 2014.

Meanwhile, ticket sales to see Chris Rock live have reportedly soared.

Lego Movie was a snub, it should have been in there and was definitely better than Big Hero 6. However, when it comes to 2014, my personal winner would have been Song of the Sea.
Cartoon Saloon having 0 Oscars to their name is all you need to know about the legitimacy of the award. Still mind-blowing to me that Spider-Verse managed to win.

Make it shorter.
No more musical numbers.
Make it more like golden globes when it comes to the overall vibe.

I forget who said it in the other thread, I think @samsnee, but they made the point that a big reasons why these awards aren't interesting is because of social media. And that's not just an "person on social media complains about social media" take.

Oscars (or Emmys, Grammys) used to be one of the few times you'd see celebrities "in the wild" and especially together. Of course not counting performing together, maybe they'd appear together briefly on a talk show or a magazine shoot. But awards shows would be the only time to see all of the room. And to see award shows you had to watch of TV.

But now with Twitter, IG, Reddit, and even on SuperheroHype we see what celebs are doing, saying etc. so the mystique of celebs is not as high as it used to be. Seeing celebs and seeing celebs together at the Oscars isn't special anymore.
And then even if it is special to you, with social media and YouTube, things pop up on those platforms and you can see them there

Beating a dead horse but I just don't think there's anything to do here.
Same with late night talk shows. I can't imagine they're still relevant in 10-15 years

Television is a dying medium so it's silly to think that your ratings can go up.

They don't even provide a free streaming option. Nobody is going to pay to watch this garbage.
I think it's time for Hollywood to realize that the audience for these awards shows is becoming more and more niche. I just don't think Hollywood's collective ego can handle that. Hence all the surface-level attempts to pander to as big of an audience as possible. I can't stress enough how Disney's ownership of ABC is ****ing ruining this ceremony, on top of the aforementioned ego.

Let's drop the pretense, swallow the pride, put the ceremony on a streaming service, and let it be what it's supposed to be.

Last edited:
There is no future for the Oscars or any other awards show. Nobody cares about this crap anymore.
LITERALLY all you have to do is read this very same thread to see that yes, people do care. What people DON'T care about, however, is how little you supposedly care :rolleyes:
Make it shorter.
No more musical numbers.
Make it more like golden globes when it comes to the overall vibe.
I will never understand why people want to cut the Original Song performances. That's an absolute must-keep for me.

So what are the thoughts around here in regards to sports based awards such as the ESPY's and NFL Honors?

So what are the thoughts around here in regards to sports based awards such as the ESPY's and NFL Honors?
Don't know much about NFL Honors but I always thought the ESPYS were weird.

You already have trophies, awards, rings for each sport. Why then have another award show to hand out accolades.

Other than I guess the money from the sponsors and ads, I don't see a point

Don't know much about NFL Honors but I always thought the ESPYS were weird.

You already have trophies, awards, rings for each sport. Why then have another award show to hand out accolades.

Other than I guess the money from the sponsors and ads, I don't see a point

The NFL Honors is usually hosted by celebrities, but they usually get to the point. They have all of the individual awards with highlights of the nominees during the NFL season. Most of the presenters are current or former NFL players who get to the point and don't meander on for 5-10 minutes and they do have Hollywood types to present, but usually with a current or former NFL player. They usually end the shows announcing their upcoming Hall of Fame class, with brief highlights of those players and the inductees come out to standing ovations. If the inductee is deceased, a family member represents them. There's only one musical number and it's usually "In Memoriam."

Last edited:
LITERALLY all you have to do is read this very same thread to see that yes, people do care. What people DON'T care about, however, is how little you supposedly care :rolleyes:

I will never understand why people want to cut the Original Song performances. That's an absolute must-keep for me.

Eh, songs from movies performed live is just a big meh from me. I also loathe musicals.

Eh, songs from movies performed live is just a big meh from me. I also loathe musicals.
a402b2c4-1d3a-4572-b8f7-9e311b72d5a1_text.gif
:o

In seriousness, the song performances ARE popular, bring in big name musical talent, break up the monotony of the night and are one of the only times we get to see nominees actually display their craft at the ceremony. There are a lot of things to trim before getting to them, IMO.

No one should expect ratings to ever go back to the glory days. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the nominations. You can nominate great well liked actors and actresses, but if they get nominated for a small indie project, people aren’t going to tune in.

Maybe the academy has gotten even more narrower in their nomination process. But it’s also the fault of the studios for basically giving up on making a big budget movie that isn’t based on a comic book or reboot.

Where’s our Titanic, or Gladiator, or Forrest Gump? It’s either big budget commercial fare that’s crowd pleasing but not artistic enough or a small movie only cinephiles have seen or even heard of. Until the studios change their model, you can’t expect the type of nominations to change.

Well, the Grammys are on this Sunday so we'll see how that goes!

No one should expect ratings to ever go back to the glory days. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the nominations. You can nominate great well liked actors and actresses, but if they get nominated for a small indie project, people aren’t going to tune in.

Maybe the academy has gotten even more narrower in their nomination process. But it’s also the fault of the studios for basically giving up on making a big budget movie that isn’t based on a comic book or reboot.

Where’s our Titanic, or Gladiator, or Forrest Gump? It’s either big budget commercial fare that’s crowd pleasing but not artistic enough or a small movie only cinephiles have seen or even heard of. Until the studios change their model, you can’t expect the type of nominations to change.

I'm sorry, but I cannot take seriously the suggestion that Titanic, or Gladiator, or Forrest Gump are somehow some quantum leap in artistic quality over any given popular movie today.

Being fair, I don't think that's really the same situation. E3 wasn't just a show, but a convention, with stuff happening outside the big broadcast events. Part of why E3 is dying, at least as I understand it, is because the whole thing is an awkward mixture of "marketing event" and "trade show", and neither aspect has really been benefiting from the connection. Nobody actually needs a big convention to do their video game marketing ( and the big players benefit from being able to do their own stuff on their own time ), and the trade show meet-and-greet stuff is obstructed by having general audience crowds and events get in the way.

Or basically, the Oscars are dying because of audience disinterest, despite the people running it *wanting* it to be a big profitable event. E3 is dying because the people running it themselves barely care, regardless of "audience" interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"