"The days of consoles are numbered", claim PC bosses

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Thursday 5-Apr-2007 10:50 AM "There is one more generation of gaming consoles and that is it," claim industry leaders at Hewlett-Packard launch
Printer/scanner superstar Hewlett-Packard showed off its plans to enter the PC gaming market last night, and unsurprisingly there was an air of hostility towards those old-fangled games consoles the kids are talking about these days.

The first snipes came from a panel of industry leaders that included Games for Windows boss Rich Wickham and other gaming bods. "I believe the days of the console are numbered," said Trion World Network founder Lars Butler. "There is one more generation of gaming consoles and that is it," he claimed.

The broadband game publisher boss says that the gaming potential of PCs could render games consoles obsolete.

NVIDIA vice president Roy Taylor also painted a rosy future for the mouse and keyboard side of gaming: "Our advantage as developers is we know what is coming," he said. "And what is coming is far ahead of the console. You will see a
huge difference between what you can get on a PC (personal computer)
and a console."

HP plans to roll out a new line of gaming gear later this year including a curved computer display designed to immerse players in the action.

As PC tech climbs above the capabilities of the next-gen consoles it will certainly be interesting to see if the dooms day prophecies for PC gaming yet again turn out to be hot air.

So while the gaming industry is becoming bigger and bigger by the day? This guy reckons the plug'll be pulled?

My arse.

Computers are just too damn complicated for the average joe shmoe, I mean people just want pop in a game without dealign with compatiability issues..

Computers are just too damn complicated for the average joe shmoe, I mean people just want pop in a game without dealign with compatiability issues..

very true. plus, i don't feel like upgrading my graphics card or memory or whatever everytime the "big new pc game" of the year comes out.

The game industry is going COMPLETELY the opposite way than what these guys are saying. Its getting getting bigger and bigger every yr. Hell i think game consoles could start biting into the computer market in terms of online usage.

PC games have always been more complex and had better graphics than the consoles and guess what, consoles are only getting more popular. One of the biggest reasons is because every game I buy I know it'll work on my console, I don't need to worry about memory, graphics cards anything, it's all there straight out of the box, plus consoles cost less, even the PS3.

one thing is too is that mouse, keyboard sucks for anything outside first person shooters/rts.

one thing is too is that mouse, keyboard sucks for anything outside first person shooters/rts.
thats why there are game controllers for the PC, more specifically the 360 one which is being pushed for the Games for Windows angle. BUT IA with everyone else. This is nothing more than one person's opinion which I beleive wont be the case

PCs will kill consoles predicts Romero
Tuesday 10-Apr-2007 11:57 AM Doom creator backs multi-core PCs to kill off PS3 and 360. Wii's safe though...
Co-founder of id Software, John Romero, has jumped on the console-slating bandwagon, backing cheap multi-core PCs to put an end to PS3 and 360.

Romero, who's now at the new development company, Slipgate Ironworks, told Adrenalin Vault: "Next-gen consoles are big but their future isn't too bright with the emergence of cheap PC multi-core processors and the big change the PC industry will go through during the next 5 years to accommodate the new multi-core-centric hardware designs."

He goes on to say: "My prediction is that the game console in the vein of the PS3 and Xbox 360 is going to either undergo a massive rethink or go away altogether."

Romero's comments come after Hewlett Packard bosses last week controversially claimed "the days of consoles are numbered."

Romero went on to suggest that consoles like the Xbox 360 and PS3 will have to "undergo a massive rethink or go away altogether". He also cited "too many bad clones of great games" as one of the main problems with the games industry at the moment.

But while he took a grim outlook on the future of 360 and PS3, he remained positive about Wii. "The Wii has the perfect design for a console that doesn't pretend to be a PC and is geared more toward casual gamers than hardcore gamers.

"The hardcore gamers are going to either be playing on their PCs or a new PC-like platform that sits in the living room but still serves the whole house over wifi, even the video signal," he predicts.

PCs will kill consoles predicts Romero
Tuesday 10-Apr-2007 11:57 AM Doom creator backs multi-core PCs to kill off PS3 and 360. Wii's safe though...
Co-founder of id Software, John Romero, has jumped on the console-slating bandwagon, backing cheap multi-core PCs to put an end to PS3 and 360.

Romero, who's now at the new development company, Slipgate Ironworks, told Adrenalin Vault: "Next-gen consoles are big but their future isn't too bright with the emergence of cheap PC multi-core processors and the big change the PC industry will go through during the next 5 years to accommodate the new multi-core-centric hardware designs."

He goes on to say: "My prediction is that the game console in the vein of the PS3 and Xbox 360 is going to either undergo a massive rethink or go away altogether."

Romero's comments come after Hewlett Packard bosses last week controversially claimed "the days of consoles are numbered."

Romero went on to suggest that consoles like the Xbox 360 and PS3 will have to "undergo a massive rethink or go away altogether". He also cited "too many bad clones of great games" as one of the main problems with the games industry at the moment.

But while he took a grim outlook on the future of 360 and PS3, he remained positive about Wii. "The Wii has the perfect design for a console that doesn't pretend to be a PC and is geared more toward casual gamers than hardcore gamers.

"The hardcore gamers are going to either be playing on their PCs or a new PC-like platform that sits in the living room but still serves the whole house over wifi, even the video signal," he predicts.

Yea, thats just not gonna happen. There is NO evidence to support that claim. Videogame consoles are going nowhere but up.

cause you know, if John Romero says it, it must be true...I mean, it's not like he went on promising Daikatana to be the greatest game ever only to have it be a steaming pile of unplayable crap or anything...oh...wait :o

Meh if anything happens it will be that PC gamming and console gamming grow into a single market. Unless M$ gets it's way and manages to revive PC gamming.

I don't think PC games pose as a threat to consoles, I think it's the exact opposite. At EB games, less and less shelf space is being devoted to PC Games in favor of console games like Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, etc.

Neither is in threat of dying, and both are doing great. Don't get me wrong, I think PC's are superior, but they also cost waaaay more to be superior. With $5000+ you can build a PC that would blow the 360 and PS3 out of the water, especially with upgrades streaming in constantly, but who wants to spend that much?

I'm more of a PC guy, and can't see it dying (which gaming mags predicted about a decade ago too), with games like WoW having over 6mil users, and others like Half-Life and it's mods it'll be around for a long time. Consoles will too though, and it sounds like wishful thinking from that guy. Consoles and PC's should be seperate and put out different playing games IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"