The Flintstones...any fans?

LostSon88

Superhero
Reaction score
Am I the only one who likes this movie? I mean sure, the movie has quite a few WTH moments for the Flintstones but overall, I thought that the movie was pretty good for what it is...a live-action adaptation of a classic cartoon.

John Goodman & Elizabeth Perkins IMO were spot on as Fred & Wilma. Rick Moranis/Barney had his moments, Rosie got the character down personality wise.....physically she just didnt' look the part.

Um...this is the closest I could find to the trailer on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruviFLEDcyQ

Well?

I like this movie. It was pretty funny and very close to the cartoons, except rossie o'donnel as betty, one of the worst casting ever. John goodman was a great fred, same with rick moranis as barney, elizabeth perkins as wilma and elizabeth taylor as pearl. Kyle maclahan was a good villain, halle berry was hot in this movie and dino was.....dino.

A good adaption of the hanna-barbera cartoons, much better thant those crappy scooby doo movies.

But the second flinstones movie sucked. Sthephen baldwin as barney, one of the worst casting ever. Even he was taller than the guy who played fred.

^ Good point. The first Flintstones movie is leap years above the garbage that is the Scooby Doo films...although like you said, the second FS movie was crap (the cast refused to return I believe.)

I really liked it as a small kid. Also, I like John Goodman in pretty much everything. I was pretty surprised that it is considered a **** movie. But then again, I haven't seen it in a looooong time.

I used to watch this movie every Sunday in my childhood :)

I liked Halle. But then again... i'm a guy. :(

LostSon88 said:
Rosie got the character down personality wise.....physically she just didnt' look the part.
I don't know who the genius casting person was on that one.

Maybe they should've gotten Bette Midler to play Daphne in Scooby Doo.

I like how the "technology" seemed to get better in the prequel.:o

I bought the movie on VHS & the Soundtrack on cassette a long time ago. I only ever watched it a few times though. I liked Elizabeth Perkins with red hair & Dino was cool, & Halle Berry was also hot. Wish they would have made Captain Caveman a character in the movie though. One thing I liked about the prequel movie was Alan Cumming as The Great Gazoo & then a younger Dino.

Carmine Falcone said:
I really liked it as a small kid. Also, I like John Goodman in pretty much everything. I was pretty surprised that it is considered a **** movie. But then again, I haven't seen it in a looooong time.

I just popped in my VHS last night...that's why i'm in a Flintstones mood. holds up very well after all these years. :yay:

I'm still looking for Raimi's cameo in the film. I could never find it.

i remember seeing the Flintsones Movie in theatres when it first came out. i don't think i've seen it since, though. and Viva Rock Vegas is a piece of s**t

Jack Bauer said:

Jay Leno also has a cameo, but that one is more obvious!

Jack Bauer said:

They said that he played Cliff Vandercave's double? Whatever that means...

I just don't understand why The Flinstones movie was made.

Actually, to rephrase, I don't understand why it was made the way it was. The film tries as hard as possible to look like the cartoon and have the physics of the cartoon. So why not just make a cartoon?

The end result is a live-action movie which tries to be a cartoon, and fails in both.

A proper Flinstones movie would be far less exagerated than the cartoon.....let's not forget the cartoon itself is a parody of The Honeymooners, whereas the movie is just dumb slapstick most of the time.

I thought Goodman and Moranis were great as Fred and Barney, but it´s the whole logic of making these cartoon-inspired movies that doesn´t work. The Flintstones was a cartoon that worked just fine for twenty minutes, but you take their plots and stretch them for 90 minutes or more, it just doesn´t fill. Even worse is when you do totally out of character things to stretch it and make it "feel like a movie", like having a lazy bum like Garfield dancing and doing action all the time. The one take on that I saw that worked was Casper, cuz they took a major departure from the cartoon episodes and simply told a story that explored the potential of the premise in ways the cartoon never did, and it felt like a movie, not a live-action piece trying to be a cartoon.

LostSon88 said:
Am I the only one who likes this movie? I mean sure, the movie has quite a few WTH moments for the Flintstones but overall, I thought that the movie was pretty good for what it is...a live-action adaptation of a classic cartoon.

John Goodman & Elizabeth Perkins IMO were spot on as Fred & Wilma. Rick Moranis/Barney had his moments, Rosie got the character down personality wise.....physically she just didnt' look the part.

Um...this is the closest I could find to the trailer on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruviFLEDcyQ

Well?

i loved the flinstones movie. the props/sets alone were amazing, especially for the time, and like you said, the casting was pretty spot on.

Taking it for what it was intended to be - a goofy family movie - I thought the first Flintstones is still pretty good. I agree Rosie was miscast - I thought Jane Krakowski was a better Betty in the second one - but apart from that I still like it. The argument between Fred and Pearl (Wilma's mother) was great. :woot:

I can't sit through the second one, though; the only good part is at the beginning when Gazoo's ship swings around Earth and just misses the Universal logo, and he says, "Where'd that giant word come from?" Actually, the fact that Gazoo, of all characters, provides the only moment in Viva Rock Vegas I liked is pretty saddening. I didn't think Mark Addy did bad as Fred - not as perfect as Goodman, but O.K. - but Stephen Baldwin as Barney and Kirsten Johnson as Wilma...um, pass.

Anyone notice that during the scene when the fired work force captures Fred Barney's snow cone truck is playing the Jetson's theme? I just noticed that for the first time... :dry:

Not a brilliant film, but entertaining, and contains some great nostalgic value for fan's of the wonderful cartoon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"