The HD movie disc discussion thread

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
Okay, as far as I know, there isn't a thread about this already, so I'll start it! Basically, this is a thread where you can discuss upcoming releases on Blu-Ray disc and HD-DVD, and even discuss releases that haven't been announced yet, like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and what have you. Although I'm not against discussing the status of the "format war" to a degree, please do not turn this thread into a format war thread (for that, you'll want this thread). This is a thread for talking about the movies themselves, so let's try not to stray from that.

Anyway, I'm personally wondering when we're going to see some of Pixar's movies release on Blu-Ray. Apparently, Disney was waiting for the Java script standard to be finished (the same reason Batman Begins is still late), so hopefully we'll be seeing some more HD releases from them once the java-enabled firmware for BR players becomes available. My hear aches to see The Increadibles in 1080i resolution...

Also, I really want the Lord of the Rings trilogy in HD. It'd be really sweet to have the extended and theatrical cuts on a single disc for each movie, plus lots of bonus goodies in HD. Maybe if the higher capacity discs (like the 200GB Blu-Ray that TDK made) are more readily availible, New Line can give us a truly packed set of all three movies with loads of features. I'm really not sure what the current hold up is though, unless it's simply that New Line does not see it as a worthwhile investment until there are more HD disc viewers out there.

Yeah poll it.

I went into the Virgin Shop near me, and the BluRay section was twice the size of HD-DVD. An early sign?

I'm hoping the Blockbuster decision will be the coup de grace.

But like you said, let's not turn this into a war thread. I'm eagerly awaiting 300 and TMNT on Blu-Ray, as well as the eventual release of the new Blade Runner set, which is gonna kick some serious ass.

And Batman Begins, where are you? I freakin' need that movie in HD. I got my other favorite movie (The Fountain), now it's time for a little Batman.

Alot of new players made by Sanyo and Syvialia (how ever you spell it) are making cheap blu-ray players that are expected to be in stores this x-mas.

I personally won't buy any Blurays yet, as even though I own a PS3, if I want to lend them out or watch them on another TV, I'd be boned.

I personally won't buy any Blurays yet, as even though I own a PS3, if I want to lend them out or watch them on another TV, I'd be boned.

I buy them precisely for that reason. :)

Too many times have I lent out a DVD and the box gets destroyed, or the disc gets all ****ed up. People just don't treat my things very well. I'm the opposite, I'll treat a disc from Blockbuster as nicely as possible, because even though I'm paying to borrow it, it's not my property.

But the second thing you mentioned does suck. I wish I could take a DVD to my parents' house, but I simply can't. It's a small price to pay for stunning picture, though. :up:

Blah. I have a solution for that. ;)

image.phtml

Not entirely convenient, but it works. :p

Also, it looks like Disney is finally going to be putting some of their classic animation on Blu-Ray. The first title is Sleeping Beauty, which while not exactly a favorite of mine, at least shows that they're getting started on it.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...Sleeping_Beauty_Headed_to_Blu-ray_in_2008/714

Also, Sony is releasing a remastered version of The Fifth Element on Blu-Ray, and they'll be giving it out free to anyone who owns the crappy version! :)

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...emaster_and_Replacement_Exchange_Program_/705

I am glad that Disney is starting to do this. Can't wait for Lion King and Aladdin to be announced. Fifth Element is a must have for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"