The Hype Nutrition Thread

raybia

Signing off
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to good and health nutrition tips. Like the one below:

5 Ways to Add Years to Your Life
Live 22 years longer with these simple steps
By Alison Granell, Men's Health

1. Next time you're asked "Soup or salad?" order the salad.

+2 years
Italian researchers found that eating as little as 1 cup of raw vegetables daily can add 2 years to your life. Why raw? Cooking can deplete up to 30 percent of the antioxidants in vegetables. To eat your quota, fill a ziplock sandwich bag with chopped red and green peppers, broccoli, and carrots. Toss the bag into your briefcase, along with a packet of dressing—the fat will boost your body's absorption of certain nutrients.

2. Learn the Law of Lard: The fat you carry today could kill you tomorrow.

+3 years
University of Alabama researchers discovered that maintaining a body-mass index of 25 to 35 can shorten your life by up to 3 years. (Excess body fat raises your risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and colon cancer.) If you're allergic to exercise, sweat with your significant other. A Duke University study shows that sedentary men are 50 percent more likely to work out three times a week if their partners participate.

3. Crack open a fresh can of nuts and extend your expiration date.

+3 years
When Loma Linda University researchers tracked the lifestyle habits of 34,000 Seventh-Day Adventists—a population famous for its longevit—they discovered that those who munched nuts 5 days a week, earned an extra 2.9 years on the planet. Pick up the Planters NUT-rition Heart Healthy Mix: It contains all five key nuts, including walnuts, which are usually left out of nut mixes. Aim to eat 2 ounces a day.

4. Never forget that your buddies have your back — even when it's hunched over from osteoporosis.

+7 years
In a study of seventysomethings, Australian researchers found that those with the largest network of friends had the longest lease on life. For the average guy, this could add up to 7 additional years of existence. Yes, some buddies may encourage risky behavior from time to time, but friendship ultimately provides more protection than peril. So try to learn a few new faces at work, trade lifting tips at the gym, or simply say "hey" to that neighbor you've never met. You can all thank each other later.

5. Repeat after us: "There is life after retirement."

+7 1/2 years
Or at least that's what you'd better believe if you want to live that long. In a Yale University study of older adults, people with a positive outlook on the aging process lived more than 7 years longer than those who felt doomed to deteriorating mental and physical health. Already envisioning decades of decrepitude? Volunteer for a cause you're passionate about: Selfless actions can put a positive spin on life and distract from unhealthy obsessing, reports a study in Psychosomatic Medicine.

I eat Chicken and Rice 3 to 4 times a week. I haven't gained a pound since I graduated.

I'm surprised you put in the soup and salad one and you didn't put in the obvious one about getting married and how married people tend to live longer than those who are single.

I'm also surprised you attacked soup. Can soup can hold a notoriously high amount of salt in it but freshly prepared soup is an amazing way of your body getting all your nutrients while being low in fat. I'd take a freshly made carrot soup over a salad any day of the week.

I'm surprised you put in the soup and salad one and you didn't put in the obvious one about getting married and how married people tend to live longer than those who are single.

I'm also surprised you attacked soup. Can soup can hold a notoriously high amount of salt in it but freshly prepared soup is an amazing way of your body getting all your nutrients while being low in fat. I'd take a freshly made carrot soup over a salad any day of the week.

Thats it. Its the sodium but I agree that if you make it yourself then soup can really be a good and nutritious part of your diet.

I don't know. How do I check? I'm relatively thin.

I believe a doctor or a good health club can measure it but if you can pinch an inch or less of fat on your belly then you are probably doing really good.

Belly fat is a indicator of serious health problems down the road such as diabetes and heart disease.

I heard a lot about the benefits of Whey protein and I try to drink at least two a day.

I've done it off and on over the years when I lifted but I have been doing it consistently now for two weeks and I will do so whether I'm lifting or not.

It helps to curb my appetite, especially for junk and fast food.

http://www.wheyprotein.com/

Is that whole 8 glasses of water a day thing true? I find it hard to drink 8 glassess of water everyday and not to mention it would have me running to the bathroom on the hour.

Is that whole 8 glasses of water a day thing true? I find it hard to drink 8 glassess of water everyday and not to mention it would have me running to the bathroom on the hour.

I think it was jag that said a person should drink a gallon a day if you are physically active.

I would recommend that the water be spring or distilled.

But drinking clean water is one of the most essential things a person should do for their body and overall well being.

http://www.health-benefit-of-water.com/benefit-of-drinking-water.html

Even though this was written with fitness/bodybuilding in mind, most if it still absolutely applicable to the average person:

The most important thing you can do is cut out all (or as much as you can) processed, pre-packed foods. You want to eliminate your consumption of processed flours, sugars, preservatives, hydrogenised fats and chemicals they put in everything these days. This includes soda pop, candy, ice-cream, fried foods, and all those sorts of things as well. Most of that stuff has High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) which is the devil as far as I’m concerned, because it does not convert to burned energy in the body like even pure sugar can. It converts strictly to fat. Period. What you want to shoot for is clean, whole foods prepared without a lot of extra junk. And, you want to shoot for a ratio of 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day, spread throughout the day. It amounts to roughly a 40% protein/ 40% carb/20% EFA (Essential Fatty Acid) breakdown, consumed in roughly 5-6 meals per day. And, if you’re wanting to gain muscle you’ll want to shoot for ~500-1000 calories above your idyllic caloric intake (here is a good calculator to determine this). I would also really recommend you subscribe to Fitday.com (it’s free) and start tracking your dietary macronutrient intake on a daily basis. Most people either overeat or undereat and have no idea they do so. Either one can keep your metabolism from burning at it’s optimum rate. You may find it helpful to determine what sort of body-type you have (here's a good tool for that) as it can help drive how you eat to support your training.

Now, the big question: What am I supposed to eat? Eating to properly support your weight training habit takes time, commitment and consistency. It’s important to remember that you ARE human and you WILL fall down and eat things you really shouldn’t. What I do is schedule a cheat meal once a week (not a cheat DAY or a cheat WEEK, but a cheat MEAL) that I allow myself to eat whatever I want to, no matter how bad it may be. This helps me keep the cravings for junk food and what not to a minimum so I can stay focused on what really amounts to my eating lifestyle the rest of the time. Doing this can also help keep your metabolism stoked up because it will not be used to having to process all the junk that’s in most junk/fast food so it will have to increase the metabolic rate to deal with that meal, which will continue for awhile after it’s long since processed that meal while you are eating clean the rest of the time. So, let’s break out good food sources by what I consider the real food groups:

Protein: Beef (eaten twice a week, beef or other red meats can reduce or eliminate the need for creatine supplementation), buffalo, fish (salmon, mackerel, tuna, trout), chicken, turkey, almonds, peanuts, peanut butter, eggs (get the free-range grain fed produced eggs; they’re much higher in Omega-3’s and are usually fresher), beans, lentils, cheese and of course a good whey protein supplement. I prefer Optimum Nutrition’s 100% Whey Gold Standard.

Carbohydrates: There are many types of carbohydrates. The kind we’re after are complex carbohydrates that provide the body with sustained fuel rather than breaking down quickly and either burn off as energy or convert to fat stores such as simple carbohydrates (sugar, for example). Good sources of complex carbs are oatmeal, yams or sweet potatoes, brown rice, wild rice, wheat pasta, potatoes, whole grain cereals, peas, beans and lentils, and wholemeal breads (keep an eye out for excess sodium and HFCS in most commercial breads).

Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s): Contrary to popular misconception, not all fats are bad for you. Some are very good for us, as a matter of fact, and our bodies require them to keep a healthy endocrine system as well as properly lubed joints and healthy skin. Good sources of EFA’s are olive oil, flaxseed, fish oil (a good fish oil capsule supplement should be part of your daily routine because the benefits are almost countless), nuts and seeds, cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and brussell sprouts, and even the yolks of eggs (especially the previously mentioned free-range grain-fed variety) have a lot of great EFA’s in them.

Fruits & Vegetables: As far as I’m concerned, you can eat all the vegetables you want. Try to include some in every meal. Carrots, broccoli, green beans, corn. It’s all good and really won’t do much to throw your macronutrients off. Fruit contains more fructose so you’ll want to be a bit more careful with fruit as that can convert to fat if you eat too much. Bananas are an excellent source of potassium. Oranges have a lot of vitamin c. And nearly all fruits and vegetables provide a lot of fiber, which will be your friend considering how much protein you’ll be taking in.

Water: The OTHER food group. Drink 1-1.5 gallons (yes, GALLONS) of water over the course of each day. You need to stay hydrated and you need to keep your natural filters (i.e. your kidneys) cleaned out.

Cheers,
jag

That water thing is jargan, they did studies.

you need to make sure you get 2 litres of water a day but some of that water content is in your food so it's not like you have to drink all of it. They've done studies with identical twins and showed as long as there was two litres including food, there was no major differences in them after a month.

perhaps if you were regularly exercising, that amount of liquid would seem plausible but for teh average jo daily consumption, I don't really see it.

Thats it. Its the sodium but I agree that if you make it yourself then soup can really be a good and nutritious part of your diet.
Honestly, which restaurant is actually going to serve you soup from a tin?

they might as well serve you corned beef on toast with a packet of crisps while they are at it

Coffee can give you a boost for your workout. Those who drink coffee before a workout are proven to (on average) be able to work 9% longer than those who did not consume any coffee.

Caffeine FTW :cmad:

Coffee can give you a boost for your workout. Those who drink coffee before a workout are proven to (on average) be able to work 9% longer than those who did not consume any coffee.

Caffeine FTW :cmad:

I think a read an article about the harmful long term effects of caffeine. I'll try to find it.

I cannot drink caffeine anyway. I'm intolerant to it. I drink decaf every so often but only natural decaf is good for you due to the process of making most decaf products.

Im just going to put down some of my personal use's with certain supplements and kinda review them since i think that they apply to Nutrition overall.

NO-XPLODE: This product did not do anything for me and I found that it didnt have a very good result at all, much like a "energy drink on roids" if you will. Its very very good tasting which was my first sign that this can't be all that great for you. I spent the 50 buck on it thought so i gave it a try, you get a huge boost of energy but you also have to deal with the side effects. I don't think a supplement should have any side effects, but there were some one being diahrea, yes i know, it was horrible and i flet bloated alot plus you must consume a riddiculous amount of water which isnt bad but annoying. I give this product a D- as far as grades go.

100% Whey Protein: All around one of the best supplements I take. It is awesome to have as a post work-out drink and leaves you feeling great the next day. I try to eat a sandwhich with this after a work out so i can get enough calories to balance the work out, out. I have not had a bad flavor of this and it always taste good with skin milk and 2% milk, not so great with water. It feels really good goinginto the body as well and i have gotten much better results since teaming thsi up with my work out. It sia worth a try if you are an avid lifter or exercise nut. I would grade it an A+ because it just works.

Amino Acids and Glutamine Pill's: Both are effective but i feel better with the Glutamine. I take 3 before i go to bed on days i wokr out and i feel amazing the next day. It helps me get to sleep easier and when i wake up my muscles are still hard and the day is much easier to get through. Amino Acids did this as well but on a much lower degree. I found that teh Glutamine was much more effective and plain old easier to take. The pill size is a little bigger than a Tylonel, while the Amino's were MASSIVE. So that alone has a better appeal. I give Aminos a B+ and Glutamine an A, both are good but size does matter.

Creatine Monohydrate: I Love it and i Hate it. It works don't get me wrong but this isnt your dads creatine. Its much more concentrated and even mixed with gatorade tastes like absolute crap. How does it work? It helps keep water in the Muscles and that allows for a longer workout or a more intense work out. I take it and i will continue to take it. You are supposed to cycle on and off but i have lost track of my cycle, but then again i am by no means dependant on it to work out. I find it nice to have in the body cause it also helps with recovery by allowing the muscles that little bit of extra water. Another thing is it spark the metabolism allowing a tad bit a fat burning so that during a cardio work out you can actually feel the results a bit more cause the Creatine helps out a bit. I never take it on a non-work out day cause there is no reason. Unlike NO-EXPLODE it doesnt giv eyou teh Jolt of energy and kicks in a bit more naturally which I like. I give the product a grade of A its solid.

Hope no body minded my long post, thought it might be helpful.

Im just going to put down some of my personal use's with certain supplements and kinda review them since i think that they apply to Nutrition overall.

NO-XPLODE: This product did not do anything for me and I found that it didnt have a very good result at all, much like a "energy drink on roids" if you will. Its very very good tasting which was my first sign that this can't be all that great for you. I spent the 50 buck on it thought so i gave it a try, you get a huge boost of energy but you also have to deal with the side effects. I don't think a supplement should have any side effects, but there were some one being diahrea, yes i know, it was horrible and i flet bloated alot plus you must consume a riddiculous amount of water which isnt bad but annoying. I give this product a D- as far as grades go.

100% Whey Protein: All around one of the best supplements I take. It is awesome to have as a post work-out drink and leaves you feeling great the next day. I try to eat a sandwhich with this after a work out so i can get enough calories to balance the work out, out. I have not had a bad flavor of this and it always taste good with skin milk and 2% milk, not so great with water. It feels really good goinginto the body as well and i have gotten much better results since teaming thsi up with my work out. It sia worth a try if you are an avid lifter or exercise nut. I would grade it an A+ because it just works.

Amino Acids and Glutamine Pill's: Both are effective but i feel better with the Glutamine. I take 3 before i go to bed on days i wokr out and i feel amazing the next day. It helps me get to sleep easier and when i wake up my muscles are still hard and the day is much easier to get through. Amino Acids did this as well but on a much lower degree. I found that teh Glutamine was much more effective and plain old easier to take. The pill size is a little bigger than a Tylonel, while the Amino's were MASSIVE. So that alone has a better appeal. I give Aminos a B+ and Glutamine an A, both are good but size does matter.

Creatine Monohydrate: I Love it and i Hate it. It works don't get me wrong but this isnt your dads creatine. Its much more concentrated and even mixed with gatorade tastes like absolute crap. How does it work? It helps keep water in the Muscles and that allows for a longer workout or a more intense work out. I take it and i will continue to take it. You are supposed to cycle on and off but i have lost track of my cycle, but then again i am by no means dependant on it to work out. I find it nice to have in the body cause it also helps with recovery by allowing the muscles that little bit of extra water. Another thing is it spark the metabolism allowing a tad bit a fat burning so that during a cardio work out you can actually feel the results a bit more cause the Creatine helps out a bit. I never take it on a non-work out day cause there is no reason. Unlike NO-EXPLODE it doesnt giv eyou teh Jolt of energy and kicks in a bit more naturally which I like. I give the product a grade of A its solid.

Hope no body minded my long post, thought it might be helpful.

Those are great tips and insight.

As you, I love whey protein and will consume it for the rest of my life.

I think a read an article about the harmful long term effects of caffeine. I'll try to find it.

I cannot drink caffeine anyway. I'm intolerant to it. I drink decaf every so often but only natural decaf is good for you due to the process of making most decaf products.

Caffeine is harmful if you hav a history of heart problems, high blood pressure, or addiction (this consuming it like a maniac).

It's probably better that you're intolerant to it either way. I don't rely on caffeine to give me a boost, and I don't believe any true martial artist, body builder, athlete, etc. should rely on anything (pills, drinks, whatever) to boost their workout or their abilities. Most of my friends back in high school started getting on creatine and other workout enhancers but I refuse. It's not your muscle if you have the help of other chemicals- and once you come off that chemical, the muscle will quickly reduce back to regular size, meaning you'll just have to build it all the way back up again.

Eff that:whatever:

L-Glutamine is an excellent essential amino acid. It supports muscle and cell reparation and provides immune system support.

jag

Caffeine is harmful if you hav a history of heart problems, high blood pressure, or addiction (this consuming it like a maniac).

It's probably better that you're intolerant to it either way. I don't rely on caffeine to give me a boost, and I don't believe any true martial artist, body builder, athlete, etc. should rely on anything (pills, drinks, whatever) to boost their workout or their abilities. Most of my friends back in high school started getting on creatine and other workout enhancers but I refuse. It's not your muscle if you have the help of other chemicals- and once you come off that chemical, the muscle will quickly reduce back to regular size, meaning you'll just have to build it all the way back up again.

Eff that:whatever:

Well if you cycle on and off properly on Creatine it can be a very good supplement or if you are looking to have a higher intensity work out its good for that too. Creatine has changed alot since my Dad who is 48 took it and I have lifted with out it before and my muscles havent shrank down AT ALL. Maybe if you just stop taking it all togethor and don't work out for a while that will happen but i have never once seen the result you speak of.

Well if you cycle on and off properly on Creatine it can be a very good supplement or if you are looking to have a higher intensity work out its good for that too. Creatine has changed alot since my Dad who is 48 took it and I have lifted with out it before and my muscles havent shrank down AT ALL. Maybe if you just stop taking it all togethor and don't work out for a while that will happen but i have never once seen the result you speak of.

Did you have to increase your workload after you came off of the creatine?

The last month I've pretty much just ate hardboiled egg whites for breakfast, tuna out of the pouch w/ lemon juice and pepper for lunch, a few bananas and apples throughout the day, topped off with skinless rotisserie chicken or fish for dinner. I've lost quite a bit of weight since I started (I'd say at least 20 lbs.). Probably helps that I've been jogging an hour each morning.

The last month I've pretty much just ate hardboiled egg whites for breakfast, tuna out of the pouch w/ lemon juice and pepper for lunch, a few bananas and apples throughout the day, topped off with skinless rotisserie chicken or fish for dinner. I've lost quite a bit of weight since I started (I'd say at least 20 lbs.). Probably helps that I've been jogging an hour each morning.

Where are your carbs man!?

Where are your carbs man!?

I'll have Subway every few days to mix it up and treat myself. Sometimes instead of just tuna in a pouch I get the kit w/ crackers. I have applesauce with my chicken and fish as well sometimes and it has plenty of carbs.

I'll have Subway every few days to mix it up and treat myself. Sometimes instead of just tuna in a pouch I get the kit w/ crackers. I have applesauce with my chicken and fish as well sometimes and it has plenty of carbs.

Subway's bread has HFCS in it(I know, I was devastated when I found out). Crackers and applesauce are just the tip of the iceberg for your daily card needs. Are you purposefully trying to limit your carbs? If not, throw that tuna on 2 slices of whole wheat bread, eat your eggs with some oatmeal, eat your chicken and fish w/ some brown rice, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"