The Late Show with David Letterman

Warhammer

Half Monk, Half Hitman
Reaction score
There a few reasons why I decided to make this thread. Since Conan's last episode of the Tonight Show was last night, some of us will probably partake in the late night exodus to David Letterman (or Jimmy Kimmel) if we haven't already. It's inevitable that eventually, someone will start a 'Tonight Show with Jay Leno' thread when Leno gets the show back. So, there might as well be a 'Late Show' thread as well. I won't speak for everyone here, but David Letterman is actually pretty good and I'm not even in his age demographic.

late_show_with_david_letterman-show.jpg

I'll be heading over to his show as well, at least until Conan returns and if Conan returns to a time frame that's not in direction competition I'll probably stick with Dave still.

Yeah, I'll be watching Letterman until Conan resurfaces.

Lineup for next two weeks:

Mo 1/25: Bradley Cooper, Rachel Maddow, Nick Jonas & the Administration, a Top Ten List presented by Homer Simpson (R 1/7/10)
Tu 1/26: Denzel Washington, heart surgeon Dr. O. Wayne Isom, the Low Anthem (R 1/14/10)
We 1/27: Whoopi Goldberg, Jason Sudeikis, Findlay Brown (R 1/12/10)
Th 1/28: Kiefer Sutherland, Keri Russell, the HotRats (R 1/13/10)
Fr 1/29: Sigourney Weaver, Marv Albert, Julian Casablancas (R 1/6/10)

Mo 2/1: Matthew Fox
Tu 2/2: John Travolta, Ben Harper & Relentless7
We 2/3: Sarah Silverman, Jeremy Renner, Nneka
Th 2/4: Jamie Foxx, Robin Thicke with Nicki Minaj
Fr 2/5: Jack Hanna

I don't really like him but I've gotten really into late night TV now with all this nonsense that's gone down so I'll tune in.

I like Letterman. He knows what Conan is feeling like right now. During this whole incident, he's been taking shots at his former friend, Jay Leno. He tried to make fun of Conan and had a staff writer do it, but the writer ended up telling more Leno jokes, replacing Jay's name with Conan and Dave noticed that.

I'm calling it right now: It will not be too long before Conan take over for Letterman. I think Letterman's contract is up this year.

CBS has gone on record saying that they have worked out an agreement to keep letterman into 2012...but personally I think he should hand it over to Conan when his current contract expires.

David Letterman is awesome. When Jay was on the Tonight Show, there was no question that I'd be watching Letterman instead. His stuff is classic. He perfectly plays up the role of a guy who just doesn't give a ****, and his interviews are way more entertaining than Leno's. Honestly, even when Conan started the Tonight Show, I was conflicted on which one to watch.

I never found Leno funny, and now that he's back on the Tonight Show, I can safely move my viewing habits over to CBS completely. Letter and Ferguson are far better than Leno and Fallon. Seriously, a lot ****ing better.

CBS has gone on record saying that they have worked out an agreement to keep letterman into 2012...but personally I think he should hand it over to Conan when his current contract expires.

Why should he do that? As far as I know, he hasn't had a working relationship with Conan ever, except preceding him on Late Night. I mean, it would be kind of a ***** move toward Ferguson, considering all that he's been through.

Although, I admit that Conan would attract a bigger audience than Ferguson could, probably only because of the Scottish accent.

Personally, I think he should stay on as long as he physically can. Letterman is the man:up:

Why would they give The Late Show to Ferguson? I just don't see it.

Why would they give The Late Show to Ferguson? I just don't see it.

Why would they give it to Conan?

The Late Late Show is a part of Worldwide Pants, Dave's production company, meaning Craig works for Dave and Dave picked up as the guy to come on after him. Now granted that Craig hasn't on for that long as of yet, but if Dave didn't give it to him, he'd be doing basically the same thing that NBC did to Dave.

Still, I guess CBS probably has some say in it, and like I said he hasn't been on as long. Also he's Scottish.

Letterman should give it over to Conan for a few reasons...

1. Letterman is getting old.
2. Conan is similar to Letterman in that his show is quirky and odd and attracts drunk college kids. Their shows have always been hipper than Carson or Leno (but Letterman is getting old and less hip)
3. If CBS doesnt hire Conan, someone else will...and whatever is on on CBS will get lower ratings because of it.
4. Ferguson has no business being on at 11:30.

2. Conan is similar to Letterman in that his show is quirky and odd and attracts drunk college kids. Their shows have always been hipper than Carson or Leno (but Letterman is getting old and less hip)
3. If CBS doesnt hire Conan, someone else will...and whatever is on on CBS will get lower ratings because of it.

One of the things I miss about Letterman's show, before he made up with Oprah, was how much he made fun of her. This was one of my favorite segments:

Last edited:

I wish Conan would replace him, too. Just so he wouldn't go to Fox and lose it when he took over for Letterman. But Conan wants to get back on TV ASAP. I don't think Letterman will want to early enough for Conan to take over.

I wish Conan would replace him, too. Just so he wouldn't go to Fox and lose it when he took over for Letterman. But Conan wants to get back on TV ASAP. I don't think Letterman will want to early enough for Conan to take over.

Seriously, there is no basis for this. I will be happy as long as Dave keep doing his show longer Jay. But in the meanwhile it will be funny to see them compete with each other (even though Jay always did better in the ratings, Dave was still funnier. I mean, the Late Show's won a ton of Emmys compared to Leno's zero. He barely gets nominated.)

I hope Conan will get to appear on Letterman's show ASAP, and talk with him frankly about the whole thing. But I'm sure NBC has a clause that prevents Conan from appearing in other late night shows, right?

I don't think Letterman really cares about Conan. I think this is a case of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" and Letterman's using the situation as an excuse to get in some digs at Leno, because they hate each other. Leno got in some mean digs at Letterman during his marital problems last year, and now Letterman has a chance to get him back. I love Letterman's impersonation of whiney Leno though "Mavis, I'm working on my car..."

Craig Ferguson has stated that he's leaving his show once Letterman leaves the Late Show.

Seriously, there is no basis for this. I will be happy as long as Dave keep doing his show longer Jay. But in the meanwhile it will be funny to see them compete with each other (even though Jay always did better in the ratings, Dave was still funnier. I mean, the Late Show's won a ton of Emmys compared to Leno's zero. He barely gets nominated.)

No one is saying there is.

Letterman has already done The Late Show longer than Jay has done The Tonight Show.

Last edited:
I've always liked Letterman. I'll never forget when I was younger and "the Madonna" incident happened.

But I have always liked Dave's way of doing things. Back in the day when he use to work at Taco Bell or McDonald's for a day was just hilarious. But they only have a few of them on Youtube.

One of the best I can't find, where he had a woman go buy onions because he said they were out, and she actually came back with onions lol. Ahh good times. I always have enjoyed Dave's humor.

Anyone remember Drew Berrymore flashing him?

I always look forward to Bruce Willis on Letterman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"