• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight The Little Things That Made The Dark Knight Such A Great Film

Doctor Jones

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter which type of movie it is, I always look for the subtle things that make it so great. The things that other people may not reconize or how I feel about them personaly. And TDK has some great small moments.

Now, I want to hear what you guys have to say about the small things that somehow reached out to you personally that were in TDK and why. Just some little or subtle things that you really loved how it was done.

I'll start then.

1. The first shot of the Joker. My favorite shot of that film. With his back turned to us, and that haunting music drifting towards him. It gives it a whole other meaning to when Jonah Nolan explained he was just conjured up out of thin air second before that shot. Like he just appeared on the sidewalk.

2. When Harvey is dead, he lays on the ground, his scarred shide up. Then Batman moves over to him and turns his normal side up instead.

3. Harvey reaction to Batman finding him instead of Rachel. "NO! NO! NOT ME! WHY ARE YOU COMING FOR ME?!

4. The mirroring scene in from BB after Rachel's death when Bruce is sitting by himself with his mask off. In BB after the funeral, little Bruce is standing there, he looks down, and finds Rachel looking back up at him. But now, he faces a window, and nobody is there.

In BB.

"I thought I might have prepared a little supper. Very well."

"Alfred."

"Yes, Master Bruce?"

In TDK.

"I took the liberty of preparing a little breakfast. Very well"

"Alfred."

"Yes, Master Wayne?"

I just love that mirroring scene. You can tell with Alfred's reaction in TDK that he's revisiting this. And I love that innocent music that goes with it. And I love Bale's delivery. You can feel that little boy in his voice.

5. The music to what serves as forshadowing to when The Joker is about to show up. It's chilling. Especially that wide shot of the convoy with the siren music in the background. You just know that The Joker's coming. That's what makes it so chilling.

6. Then the next part. When The Joker blows away the cop with the shotgun in the semi. It's so brief, but I love the Joker's posture and his face. And the music is great there. Just so chilling.

7. When Harvey is laying in the hospital bed, scarred. He sees the coin, remembers Rachel. And then his scream is muted. Taking its place is a screeching sound while in his distraught.

8. After Bruce and Alfred's conversation, Bruce asks what happened to the bandit in Burma. Obviously dispointed with himself, he doesn't like to talk about it. That's why he just says, "We burned the forest down." I love Caine's delivery. And then it cuts to Harvey in bed. Great transition. Gives me chills.

9. The last shot of the film, when Batman is riding up into the light. After Oldman says, "...A dark knight." The score that accompanies the cut to black gives me chills. That rising music then you hear a drum beat when it cuts to black.

10. And one of my other favorite moments. After Joker escapes. And after Rachel's death. The cop reports to Gordon that Joker has escaped. Then Gordon says, "The Joker wanted to be cuaght. He wanted me to lock him up in the MCU." I freaking love Oldman's delivery of anger and realization. Then it cuts to The Joker in the cop car. Oh, I love it so.

Just some of the things I can think of right now. Some of those may sound silly to you. But they were very special for me.

Last edited:
For me, it was mainly the continuity between this one and the first film, such as the scene you mentioned that took place after Rachel's death. It doesn't seem like Alfred got a lot of screentime in this movie (which is understandable, considering how the story was all over the place), so it was great to see yet another fatherly moment from him towards Bruce. I also love how one of the Joker's cards was the card we see at the end of Begins... especially how the camera zooms in on it when Surillo gets killed. The nods to the Killing Joke were also awesome, such as the multiple scar stories and "I'm not a monster, I'm just ahead of the curve."

For me its definitely the music, something BB & TDK don't get much credit for IMO. What Elfman did with the Burton films were iconic, but I think the music on a whole, especially in TDK, is right on par.

That scene with Harvey in the hospital that Doctor Jones brought up illustrates that point, its really the lack of music, just that droning sound as his scream is muted and we see the Joker in the cop car, it really makes the scene for me. That almost white noise sound whenever the Joker is about to show up really helps to build that anticipation, and although we really never hear the full Batman Theme that much, in the beginning when he gets thrown off Scarecrow's van, he stands up right on cue with the dramatic part of his theme, little moments like these throughout the movie go a long way toward that epic feel

The muted sirens of police cars in the background while The Joker has his head hanging out the window savoring the moment like a mad dog off the leash. And in IMAX, it was downright surreal.

For me its definitely the music, something BB & TDK don't get much credit for IMO. What Elfman did with the Burton films were iconic, but I think the music on a whole, especially in TDK, is right on par.

That scene with Harvey in the hospital that Doctor Jones brought up illustrates that point, its really the lack of music, just that droning sound as his scream is muted and we see the Joker in the cop car, it really makes the scene for me. That almost white noise sound whenever the Joker is about to show up really helps to build that anticipation, and although we really never hear the full Batman Theme that much, in the beginning when he gets thrown off Scarecrow's van, he stands up right on cue with the dramatic part of his theme, little moments like these throughout the movie go a long way toward that epic feel
Here here. You don't even get an inkling of that sort of score usage from the soundtrack CD, but the way that the music was used in the film was so great.

I have to give kudos to the little character touches that many actors gave to their roles. The way that Harvey is fiddling with things in his office as he talks to Gordon, the similar fiddling with the Mayor as he's discussing the mob "farce," and the way Gordon uses his hand to clean off the table in the interrogation room before he talks to Joker.

They're such little things, but they gave a real genuine feel to the film, that they're real people instead of just actors.

Here here. You don't even get an inkling of that sort of score usage from the soundtrack CD, but the way that the music was used in the film was so great.

I have to give kudos to the little character touches that many actors gave to their roles. The way that Harvey is fiddling with things in his office as he talks to Gordon, the similar fiddling with the Mayor as he's discussing the mob "farce," and the way Gordon uses his hand to clean off the table in the interrogation room before he talks to Joker.

They're such little things, but they gave a real genuine feel to the film, that they're real people instead of just actors.

I noticed that too. I loved that.

And great points from everyone!

When I first wrote my review for TDK, the little things I loved were the first things I listed. Aide from some of the stuff already mentioned like the music, or lack there of (which was brilliant), off the top of my head, here's some little things that really contributed to my TDK experience:

- The intro --> hearing those familiar thumping beats, starting just like it did for BB (with a bit of modification of course) brought my heart rate up so high, I was afraid I'd miss the rest of movie.

- Seeing the mayor interviewed in the opening montage after the bank robbery --> if you followed the virals, you'll know why this is so awesome. The final Gotham Tonight episode ended with the bank robbery, and then Engel saying that their next show would have an interview with the mayor. Great transition from viral to film.

- The Scarecrow --> not only having Crane back was a plus, but his line's were great. It gave me chills the way he talked about Bats as if he knew him personally, "That's not him...that's more like it!"

- Molossus --> hearing the familiar molossus theme when Batman was stuck to the side of the van in the first Batman action sequence was amazing. Brought me right back to BB.

- "Him again?" --> nice line from Bats indicating that in the time passed between BB and TDK, him and Gordon have still been keeping tabs on the Joker.

- Brian Douglass --> need I say more? LOL Seeing as I knew Brian would be in the film before the virals, it was awesome to see how they built his viral character around his character in the film.

- Birth of the bat-pod --> after all the speculation regarding it's birth (I always supported the idea of it coming out of the Tumbler) it was great to see it finally in action. Best part of it all though was the lack of music in the chase scene up until that point, and then when the pod emerges, the familiar theme kicks in.

- "Half." --> I couldn't help but grin when the bar scene with Two-Face was revealed to be from a much more "revealing" angle. Made the "My Hero" video from the virals feel so special.

- "I have to save DENT!" --> Gordon pointing his gun at Batman, Batman jumping off the roof. Reminiscent of their first meeting in Gordon's office in Begins. Shows how their relationship had sort of come full circle at the point, but the issue was quickly resolved afterward. Chills inducing moment for me.

- The Joker Falling --> This one, has two reasons why I loved it. Firstly, nice little homage to 89. However, the second reason is what really makes this scene special for me. You'll notice that the music cue to Joker falling is EXACTLY the same as when Bats leaves Ra's on the train in Begins. EXACTLY the same. "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you." By making the two scenes such a similar situation, we get to truly see how Bats has grown from Begins to TDK, and the changes his character has gone through. He didn't have to save the Joker, but he chose to. The music, in this case, was a little thing that really propelled the moment for me.

- "The Dark Knight" --> Back when the name of the film was first announced, I always wondered whether or not there was a specific reason the film was titled TDK. Gordon's speech at the end answered that. I love that the title truly is meaningful to the film, and that it holds great purpose. Really made all the hype leading up to TDK more special, and brought me back to they day I first heard it was called TDK.

- This one's the money maker. This is perhaps my favorite of all the little things. The end credits --> My heart burst when the film quickly cut to black, and "The Dark Knight" came up on screen with the familiar end credits music. I was hoping that the end credits would be just like Begins, and they were. Funnily enough, this, and the opening logos with music, were some of my favorite moments in the film, because I'm just a geek for that kinda continuity between films. Haha. :woot:

Anyways, those are just a few little things that were so important to me for TDK. I may come back to the thread with some more, as these were just the ones that sorta stick out off the top of my head.

For me it was the little music cue that happened every time something bad was going to happen or did happen. I think its actually the intro to Joker's theme. You all know what I'm talking about right? It was like a ringing sound, like the sound that occurs in your ears after somehting is too loud. and it would slowly grow louder and louder.

i think the best use of it was after rachel blew up and the Joker escapes in the cop car and is hanging out the window everything is silent except for the ringing in the background..

Bale's delivery of my favorite line in the movie: "I'm whatever Gotham needs me to be." There were just so many like throughout the movie that personified what the character saying them were about, but this one took the cake for me. It's pure Batman.:brucebat:

When I first wrote my review for TDK, the little things I loved were the first things I listed. Aide from some of the stuff already mentioned like the music, or lack there of (which was brilliant), off the top of my head, here's some little things that really contributed to my TDK experience:

- The intro --> hearing those familiar thumping beats, starting just like it did for BB (with a bit of modification of course) brought my heart rate up so high, I was afraid I'd miss the rest of movie.

- Seeing the mayor interviewed in the opening montage after the bank robbery --> if you followed the virals, you'll know why this is so awesome. The final Gotham Tonight episode ended with the bank robbery, and then Engel saying that their next show would have an interview with the mayor. Great transition from viral to film.

- The Scarecrow --> not only having Crane back was a plus, but his line's were great. It gave me chills the way he talked about Bats as if he knew him personally, "That's not him...that's more like it!"

- Molossus --> hearing the familiar molossus theme when Batman was stuck to the side of the van in the first Batman action sequence was amazing. Brought me right back to BB.

- "Him again?" --> nice line from Bats indicating that in the time passed between BB and TDK, him and Gordon have still been keeping tabs on the Joker.

- Brian Douglass --> need I say more? LOL Seeing as I knew Brian would be in the film before the virals, it was awesome to see how they built his viral character around his character in the film.

- Birth of the bat-pod --> after all the speculation regarding it's birth (I always supported the idea of it coming out of the Tumbler) it was great to see it finally in action. Best part of it all though was the lack of music in the chase scene up until that point, and then when the pod emerges, the familiar theme kicks in.

- "Half." --> I couldn't help but grin when the bar scene with Two-Face was revealed to be from a much more "revealing" angle. Made the "My Hero" video from the virals feel so special.

- "I have to save DENT!" --> Gordon pointing his gun at Batman, Batman jumping off the roof. Reminiscent of their first meeting in Gordon's office in Begins. Shows how their relationship had sort of come full circle at the point, but the issue was quickly resolved afterward. Chills inducing moment for me.

- The Joker Falling --> This one, has two reasons why I loved it. Firstly, nice little homage to 89. However, the second reason is what really makes this scene special for me. You'll notice that the music cue to Joker falling is EXACTLY the same as when Bats leaves Ra's on the train in Begins. EXACTLY the same. "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you." By making the two scenes such a similar situation, we get to truly see how Bats has grown from Begins to TDK, and the changes his character has gone through. He didn't have to save the Joker, but he chose to. The music, in this case, was a little thing that really propelled the moment for me.

- "The Dark Knight" --> Back when the name of the film was first announced, I always wondered whether or not there was a specific reason the film was titled TDK. Gordon's speech at the end answered that. I love that the title truly is meaningful to the film, and that it holds great purpose. Really made all the hype leading up to TDK more special, and brought me back to they day I first heard it was called TDK.

- This one's the money maker. This is perhaps my favorite of all the little things. The end credits --> My heart burst when the film quickly cut to black, and "The Dark Knight" came up on screen with the familiar end credits music. I was hoping that the end credits would be just like Begins, and they were. Funnily enough, this, and the opening logos with music, were some of my favorite moments in the film, because I'm just a geek for that kinda continuity between films. Haha. :woot:

Anyways, those are just a few little things that were so important to me for TDK. I may come back to the thread with some more, as these were just the ones that sorta stick out off the top of my head.

Excellent points my friend. I never noticed that when the Joker falls its the same theme from in BB when Bats leaves Ras. Your explanation is spot on. Makes me appreciate it a whole lot more. Plus, I loved that the Joker was laughing, he was enjoying the ride, and he thought he won. Again, I love your explanation.

And the Gordon scene when he says, "I have to save DENT!" I love that. When he points the gun at Bats helped it also. I loved the desperation in his voice. He knows he has to live up to being Commisioner and you can tell with that delivery that he feels he's the only person who needs to save Dent. He wants to make up for it.

Some other ones.

After Batman jumps off the rooftop to the Prewet building, Gordon is leaning in on the snipers. He's trying to calm down, and breathes, "Two minutes. Then we breach." I love Oldman's posture and delivery there.

Yeah, the intro too. The theme is slightly different. We don't hear the continuous bats wings in BB. But it alludes to it. All we hear is some of the bats wings and then the beats of the wings. Like in the DC logo we can hear it faintly. I could barely contain myself when seeing that. Gave me chills all over. I couldn't believe everything was coming down to this. The dark theater and the music really set that for me. It's hard to describe in words. But I love it.

The first shot. I fooking love it. Its a quiet morning in Gotham. We've just left off in BB. All is peaceful. Then the window breaks. Some **** is going down once again. Plus, I love that music that accompanies the camera drifting in. The whole music in the robbery sequence is excellent. You really get a Heat vibe.

Some shots I like. Pfister is one of my favorite cinematographers.

The shot where Joker, Grumpy, and Chuckles get out of the car walking up to the bank, looking around for anyone as they try to act casual.

You may know what I'm talking about, but the shot where Bats breaks open the door to get to Dent. That shot of him from behind, you know? That with the urge of music is great.

Last edited:
And there's another moment which I love. When Dent has Thomas Shiff in the location. After he gets off the phone with Rachel, he says, "I love you." But no answer from Rachel. You can tell he desperately loves this woman.

One of the little things that I loved is the way The Joker is standing after his bomb explodes in the MCU and the fact that he is the only one left standing.

These things you guys mention are awesome. The dialogue pf the film is awesome, but I was really pleased with Batman's dialogue. Like Darkknight08's example, "I'm whatever gotham needs me to be" Just made me realize that while other superheroes have powers, none are bigger to me than Batman.

One little thing, Bale's cold yet still human way he looks at people. You can tell a lot of work and control is going on in that mind of his. The way he looks at Fox as Batman is awesome, and then "When you're finished, type in your name"

These things you guys mention are awesome. The dialogue pf the film is awesome, but I was really pleased with Batman's dialogue. Like Darkknight08's example, "I'm whatever gotham needs me to be" Just made me realize that while other superheroes have powers, none are bigger to me than Batman.

One little thing, Bale's cold yet still human way he looks at people. You can tell a lot of work and control is going on in that mind of his. The way he looks at Fox as Batman is awesome, and then "When you're finished, type in your name"

Agreed. I was glad to see a cold Batman, even in front of people that know his secret. Very reminiscent of the Bat-God version from the comics. Also, Bale's performance as a whole. It was subtle, but carried the film as much as Heath's did.

The shot where Joker, Grumpy, and Chuckles get out of the car walking up to the bank, looking around for anyone as they try to act casual.
Did you notice how the camera lingers on Grumpy aka The Joker when they're going into the bank? It's great visual foreshadowing as to who's the actual ringleader. :word:

:up: also to "I killed those people. That's what I can be."

Did you notice how the camera lingers on Grumpy aka The Joker when they're going into the bank? It's great visual foreshadowing as to who's the actual ringleader. :word:

Yup I loved that. His posture is hunched and he sorta hops while he's running and franitcally looks side to side around the room.

One of the little things that I loved is the way The Joker is standing after his bomb explodes in the MCU and the fact that he is the only one left standing.

I love that too. His dark shape in the desturction, his shoulders hunched, his face reads, "Wow, that was big." But at the same time he didn't seem surprised. Then after that, when he gets the keys to Lau's cell. That shot of him walking over to the cell, hunched. It's terrifying. If I were Lau, I'd be scared. Then Joker does that shaking motion with the keys in his hand and says, 'Hello there."

This is true. There's lot of subtle things going on with Bale's Batman performance. It's freakish, badass, and human all at the same time.

There's lot of really great 'moves' on Nolan's Part:

1) The Assassination of Gordon: I specifically love the way Harvey is walking towards the ambulance, and the music is somber, and out of nowhere 2 or 3 shots ring out and people recoil in terror. This was really jarring to see and goes to show how well Nolan sets expectations of what is villainous in this movie. Really scary stuff

2) One of my favorite unexpected movements in the film comes during the evacuation of the hospital. During the montage of nurses and patients being ordered out of the hospital trying to do their best under the stress of it all, the music in the background is what usually plays when Batman is on the move during a big action sequence. The climax of this great sequence has a shot of the black police officer the joker murders in dent's room, hurrying down the steps of the hospital heading outside amidst the bedlam, and the main Batman theme is going in full force. It's so amazing and so unconventional for a superhero movie. Nolan had an amazing knack for grounding the action to the effects it has on gothamites.

Two of the things that got me...

1. When Dent is "interrogating" Schiff, and Batman tells him that he's going to turn himself in. Dent does the little squint/blink when he yells the second time at Batman "You CAN'T give in!!!". To me, that seemed the first point of Dent's descent into the madness of Two Face.

2. The look in Bat's eyes when he's got Maroni on the ground and Maroni asks him how many more people he's going to let die.

Two of the things that got me...

1. When Dent is "interrogating" Schiff, and Batman tells him that he's going to turn himself in. Dent does the little squint/blink when he yells the second time at Batman "You CAN'T give in!!!". To me, that seemed the first point of Dent's descent into the madness of Two Face.

2. The look in Bat's eyes when he's got Maroni on the ground and Maroni asks him how many more people he's going to let die.

Agreed. We can tell there might be something wrong with this guy after all. After all his heroics and his mask of justice and doing, we see this broken and frustrated man. Love that scene between Bats and Dent. Reminds me of one of TLH's scenes. I was hoping there would be a private conversation between them, and that's what we got.

There's lot of really great 'moves' on Nolan's Part:

1) The Assassination of Gordon: I specifically love the way Harvey is walking towards the ambulance, and the music is somber, and out of nowhere 2 or 3 shots ring out and people recoil in terror. This was really jarring to see and goes to show how well Nolan sets expectations of what is villainous in this movie. Really scary stuff

2) One of my favorite unexpected movements in the film comes during the evacuation of the hospital. During the montage of nurses and patients being ordered out of the hospital trying to do their best under the stress of it all, the music in the background is what usually plays when Batman is on the move during a big action sequence. The climax of this great sequence has a shot of the black police officer the joker murders in dent's room, hurrying down the steps of the hospital heading outside amidst the bedlam, and the main Batman theme is going in full force. It's so amazing and so unconventional for a superhero movie. Nolan had an amazing knack for grounding the action to the effects it has on gothamites.

I love when Dent ducks when we hear the gunshots while he's walking towards the ambulance. You feel like he's one of the citizens of Gotham and not just a DA. These are the type of moments where we see a real leader. Speeches are good, but when someone shows vulnerablitity like this, we know that's the person that should be leading us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"