The Dark Knight The media acted unethically concerning Heath Ledger's death

ross2287

Gonzo Journalist
Reaction score
Hey all, it's good to be back. :yay:

I am writing a paper about the media's portrayal of Heath Ledger's death for my Media Ethics class. My thesis is based on the assumption that the media acted unethically in their coverage of his death. I'd be happy to post it here when it's completed. For now, though, I need the help of you fellow Hypers.

I know a lot of you are a lot more prudent when it comes to saving things like articles or blogs about all things TDK. And I know some of you have articles bookmarked about the media and the late, great Heath Ledger.

If you could post the links in here, that'd be great. This thread could also be used for discussion about it, or venting.

Thanks in advance! :hoboj:

How did they act unethically?

I think most of the media acted as they should - sharing info when they had it, but apparently Ledger's family found out through the media? Which sucks but it's bound to happen with a celebrity death....

The :cmad: part was TMZ having breaking news every 5 minutes and filming his body being wheeled out of the apartment. For God's sake...

Entertainment news shows also had a field day, but I don't have any links for that since they're all on TV. :oldrazz:

And I save A LOT of things TDK, but I don't have anything on Ledger's death aside from Nolan's short Newsweek piece, because it had nothing to do with the production of the film.

The media milked it and it didn't help with him having a film out either.

other celebrities have died in tragic ways over the past couple of years and it hasn't got the same amount of attention.

it generated far too many column inches than it really deserved.

TMZ and tabloid magazines aren't really a good example of the media, you can call them out on pretty much anything they do as unethical......from a mainstream media perspective though, I think they all did a pretty good job at covering his death..

The media acting unethically?! Whatever next...

I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well the media handled everything.

I mean, the guy was an up-and-coming actor who died in what were then mysterious circumstances and he just so happened to be playing the role of an iconic psychopath at the time.

Don't compare that to 'just' a death.

Okay, so I'm thinking I should rework my thesis into something mentioning certain media outlets acting unethically. I remember something about Entertainment Tonight and I would love to read the article about how his family found out about his death through the media.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

You'd have more material if you did a paper on the media acting unethically and irresponsibly during the Rodney King trial.

Did anyone that took place in the LA Riots even know a single fact about the trial?

WB should be thanking the media for making TDK the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time! The media didnt act unethically at all BTW.

Look up Tom O'Neil's interviews after his death. The guy went on every show that would have him saying that the role killed him.

I remember seeing Heath's body being taken away on TMZ, I think it started with a laugh. No joke.

WB should be thanking the media for making TDK the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time! The media didnt act unethically at all BTW.

Seriously? How about all the wild assumptions?

WB should be thanking the public, not the media. The media didn't build this thing from January until July.

Look up Tom O'Neil's interviews after his death. The guy went on every show that would have him saying that the role killed him.

I remember seeing Heath's body being taken away on TMZ, I think it started with a laugh. No joke.

Seriously? How about all the wild assumptions?

WB should be thanking the public, not the media. The media didn't build this thing from January until July.

I believe the role DID play some part, even if it was a small part. It was during TDK when he started taking the sleeping pills, and he even said he was averaging 2 hours of sleep per night during filming.

I'm having hard times finding anything by O'Neil actually talking about Ledger's death.

I believe the role DID play some part, even if it was a small part. It was during TDK when he started taking the sleeping pills, and he even said he was averaging 2 hours of sleep per night during filming.
that's just it. he had had sleeping problems for years. well before TDK. so it wasn't the movie that had him taking sleeping pills. he had been taking them for a long time.

the media did act unethically. reporting rumors and the like. people said he refused to break character on set. untrue. things like that. things like what you said, that it was the film that had him losing sleep. sure, he wasn't sleeping much while filming because the role had so much going through his mind. but i'm sure he was like that with other roles as well. the media said it was suicide on the day. they said he had cocaine on the day. they said the role killed him on the day. they said he had started acting like the joker on the day. they said all these things on the day he died. that was the time when everyone was watching. and then when facts actually came out, they got a brief mention and no one listened. it was a field day. and they acted unethically by blowing it up and reporting as many rumors as they could get their hands on to juice it up.

and i'm sure the original poster had all these ideas in mind when starting to write his paper. i wish i had links to clips or articles to help you out, man. but alas, i do not. hope you find the info you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"