Iron Fist The Mystical City of K'un-Lun

415.jpg

I'm looking foward to K'un-Lun. I'm guessing some of it will be cgi.

Last edited:
Flashbacks might be the best way to deal with K'un-Lun and Danny's training, but it absolutely needs to be a thing, as does Shou-Lao. It's vital stuff.

Last edited:
Oh yeah K'un-Lun is definitely going to be shown in flashbacks.

I dunno. Like I hope K'un L'un's in it, but I wonder how much of it we will actually get to see.

^I'd agree it's likely we'll see K'un-L'un in flashbacks. All the Netflix shows have employed flashbacks to tell their stories and it looks like Luke Cage is following that trend with Seagate Prison.

Plus the Marvel Premeire Iron Fist issues employed flashback scenes as well when explaining Danny's training or Harold Meachum's killing of his parents.

They don't need to show a huge amount of Kun Lun to tell the necessary story. A matte painting or two to establish the locale, and maybe four sets: living quarters, training dojo, council chamber, and Shao Lao's lair. They could probably save money by having the "dojo" and "living quarters" be the same room with different furniture, even.

My feeling is that a lot of that could happen off screen, including Shao Lao.

I mean, I'd feel better if they went whole hog on Shao Lao, but the Netflix shows tend to have a lot of dressing down on those elements. IE, Purple Man wasn't purple nor ever actually called Purple Man. Characters only getting their costume in the last 10 minutes of the season.

Also we've seen the Radar Sense in action for Daredevil a grand total of what? Once.

Some of that depends on how much is budget verses what was done because of an individual show's artistic choices. For instance, before I'd seen JJ I really wanted Kilgrave to go full purple on us, but while actually watching the show the fact that they stuck to only to using the Kilgrave moniker never bothered me. It made perfect sense with the story they were building. Having Kilgrave walking around with purple skin would have undermined the series in some ways, because it would have made him so easy to spot. It plays in to the idea you can somehow just tell when someone is evil. "Well of course that guy is a narcissistic super-powered rapist! Hello? Is everyone blind?" I mean, they could have used it in a small way later (and half did with the.veins) but overall the story they told needed to be removed from a lot of those fantastical elements. JJ is purposefully given a nonfantastical no flash feel, and I'm fairly certain that was a conscious choice on the showrunner's part rather than a matter of down playing it because it's a Netflix program.

As for the radar sense, if I had to guess the lack of use stems from a need to separate the show from the movie. Or possibly the fact that it just looked kinda stupid. Well, no, it's probably not that. But I assume it's like the costume issue. I have to believe they purposefully held of on the final costume in season one because of the story they wanted to tell. Otherwise, why not use the fact that most of the earliest viewers would be coming from the moives and well adjusted to the whole costumed hero look unless they really wanted to build DD from the ground up? I mean, a lot of these things make sense for storytelling even outside of budgets or shared tones. Which isn't to say those elements don't play a role in shaping each show. Just makes it difficult to say anything for certain.

Although, yeah, I'm more inclined than not to agree. I think the series will focus on Danny in NYC and the Kun'Lun elements will be left more to mystery. I do not expect to see Finn Jones hug a dragon to sleep on screen despite how amazing it sounds on paper.

Well maybe it will make perfect sense to see Danny Rand never actually fight a living, breathing dragon you know?

Second. Will they actually have the budget to do K'un L'un and also Shao Lao?

Like I said, I don't see Kun Lun being really that expensive. It basically boils down to a couple of sets on a sound stage. Its Shao Lao that's the sticking point. Though really, if the Flash can have entire episodes centered around Grodd or King Shark, I'm not sure what would keep Iron Fist from having one episode where a minute or two of screen time is used fighting a CGI dragon.

Like I said, I don't see Kun Lun being really that expensive. It basically boils down to a couple of sets on a sound stage. Its Shao Lao that's the sticking point. Though really, if the Flash can have entire episodes centered around Grodd or King Shark, I'm not sure what would keep Iron Fist from having one episode where a minute or two of screen time is used fighting a CGI dragon.

Well, I can't claim to watch much Flash, but I did catch an episode with Grodd...I didn't think he was terribly impressive. CGI is expensive; Games of Thrones has about three times the budget per episode that Iron Fist is going to have and the dragons on there look like they're pasted in from a really good video game. Marvel might just want to spare the expense.

After watching Doc Strange last night I'm really looking forward to Kun Lun!

so how is this going to be different from the city visited in Dr. Strange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"