The NEW xwolvie 3D Animation Thread

lol i dont, just a student right now.

i havent heard the name blender in a long time time.
autodesk Maya is pretty much the standard for 3d... 3ds max is like a diet maya.
i use mudbox and zbrush for sculpting and texturing...and maya for everything else 3d.

for compositing i use after effects...and editing premiere pro.

from the Bleach vid... screencap of some unfinished shots.. there's about 10-15 cg shots done so far.

The creature in the back is looking really good, but watch those shadows under his belly. If it's sunny in the footage, then the light from the sun is gonna bounce off the grass and reflect upward. Look at the tree trunk next to him. There's very soft light illuminating the trunk. There should be that very soft light just slightly illuminating his belly and the underside of his arms. Adding that light will also help sell the distance between the character in the foreground and the creature in the background. Right now, if you don't look at the bottom of the screen, it looks like they could be standing only a foot away from each other.

Always remember how color and values desaturate and get flatter the further back they are. The depth of focus helps to create a strong sense of distance, but I think tweaking the lighting on the creature and bringing down some of the contrast will help to enhance it.

hoping to finally have the stoopid Bleach vid over and done with in 10 days...

some more screencaps... just a few more shots left and color grading and im done :yay:

Wow dude, your stuff blows my mind! Just the JV clips, and the Bleach stuff, it seems like you could have a great future with this stuff. I went through the whole thread to see your progression, and you really have progressed a lot! I dug the character based off a drawing awhile back, hope you someday do something with that.

I have to ask though, would you know how hard it would be to cross over to this from GFXing and such, because I'd be interested in giving this a try, also what program would you suggest using?

this bleach creature is the first character i ever animated(and i quickly modeled and textured it in barely a couple hours) so it looks amateurish lol and i wasnt able to add all the compositing layers to many shots that i wanted because it would 1. take to long to render and 2. slow down my comp to the point where im working blindly because i cant scrub through the timeline to see what im doing lol..

depends what you want to do with 3d though... if you want to use it for film but dont have previous knowledge about compositing in something like after effects mastered then it'll take alot of extra time.

if its for games then i dont know, definatly sooner... you have to learn how to crappify everything correctly for games to minimize processing power.

it really depends on the individual and how much time/dedication you put into it... could take a year or 10 years lol

i use Maya for 3d...and i use mudbox and zbrush for sculpting and texturing...for motion tracking i use Matchmover...for compositing i use after effects...and editing premiere pro.

I'm not really sure what I want to do with it at this point. Lol, I just want to see what it's like. Could you make like a fully animated movie with what you're doing, or only place your creations in real enviroments/do effects? I'm curious. Also, I would really need to download that many programs?!

On the subject of your Bleach creation, to me it looks really good, but what do I know anyways really? Lol

yeah you could make a fully animated movie.. but then thats more stuff you have to model and texture and render. I'd rather use it just for vfx.. animanted film is more work and same results.

you dont need all those..it just makes your life easier.lol matchmover,mudbox, and maya are all in the same bundle... so is after effects and premiere...

I'll probably just start off with one of them, you know, for basics and such sense I'm a newb. Wait, I believe you had shots from an animated short you were working on earlier didn't you? So my first question as to if you could do it was stupid, but how long did the short alone take you to make? And yes, I would imagine it would be a lot more work, you'd probably need a team or something. Lol

There's a guy that made a short movie with an alien invasion, Hollywood hired him instantly, i think that he's directing an amytivylle movie or something now.

You can end up the same way my friend, by the way, if you ever saw it do you find blender more difficult and confusing than the programs you're working with?

Link doesn't work, if you can can you answer my question?

it should work now... either way its exploded on every site now.. shouldnt be hard to find now lol

ive never used blender

Congratulations then, if you keep up like that you'll end up like the Evil Dead remake guy ;)

CHECK OUT my live action (first person) DEAD ISLAND video!!

watch in HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLK2yD5kvmA

Dude, that's awesome. I took a few 3d modeling/animation classes when I was in college. Was pretty good at it, too. Got some awards, but then when all the 3d movies kicked in, I felt "rebellious" and switched my focus to 2D. Wish I stuck with 3d in some capacity, its a lot of fun. I've got a walk through of the Millennium Falcon somewhere. I'll have to find it.

The creature in the back is looking really good, but watch those shadows under his belly. If it's sunny in the footage, then the light from the sun is gonna bounce off the grass and reflect upward. Look at the tree trunk next to him. There's very soft light illuminating the trunk. There should be that very soft light just slightly illuminating his belly and the underside of his arms. Adding that light will also help sell the distance between the character in the foreground and the creature in the background. Right now, if you don't look at the bottom of the screen, it looks like they could be standing only a foot away from each other.

Always remember how color and values desaturate and get flatter the further back they are. The depth of focus helps to create a strong sense of distance, but I think tweaking the lighting on the creature and bringing down some of the contrast will help to enhance it.

^^^ This x100

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"