The Obscure Game Appreciation Thread

Good stuff, Hellboy. :up:

Hmmm... Well, I'm not sure how obscure these are, but I know the Saturn was not a big hit for some reason.

Dragon Force: I think it was a Working Design title. It's kinda hard to describe. There were 8 kingdoms to choose from, and you chose the monarch you wanted to play through the game with. The goal is to unite the 8 Warriors of the Dragon Force (who happen to be the 8 monarchs). War has been declared by one nation on the other seven, so the continent is in state of...well...war. So basically, you must conquer the continent, capturing castles and trying to turn captured generals to your cause.

The battle system is great, and I haven't seen one like it since. When two armies meet, you choose one of your generals to battle one of the enemies. Both of them are on the battlefield with their armies (up to 100 troops each). You give orders for formation and the like as well as perform some special attacks that damage either troops, the other general, or both. There are several classes of troops, none of them unbeatable. Kinda like rock, paper, scissors.

I can't write enough to detail all the great things about this game, but ^^ that's not too bad.

Blazing Heroes/Mystaria: I have yet to meet another person that has played this great game. It's a tactical RPG in the same vein as Final Fantasy Tactics. You move around on a grid-system and execute attacks over specified effect areas.

The maps were great as were the overall graphics. The story was about saving the world and assembling the chosen warriors and all that, but it was a great game to get immersed in. There are sidequests and even an arena, and the enemies get pretty crazy towards the end. Another great game for the Saturn.

Hope these were obscure enough, :up:

Great stuff, Mad Bull. Giving me even more games to eventually look into. :)

MDK2

A fun,simple,grossly underrated run-and-gun platform shooter.One of the highlights of the game is it's campy,50's comic book-inspired cut-scenes,filled with dialogue such as "Must grease pelvis.Friction is...distracting".

mdk2-a.jpg

mdk2-c.jpg

Not exactly award-winning,but still a solid game.

Fear%20Effect.jpg

5032921013529.jpg

Creepy and surreal atmosphere, a unique and mature plot, intriguing and unpredictable characters made this one of the finest titles of it's time on the PS. Even though the gameplay mechanics are nothing but "Resident-Evil-with-a-twist", it's amazing art direction combined with a minimal hud and superb cinematic presentation made it a title truly demanding of your attention. Not to mention the fact that it has, in my opinion, the sexiest and most badass female character ever to grace a videogame. Lara Croft is for pansies. Hana is the real deal. :up:

It's a shame that despite great reviews and all, the game didn't sell well. An undeniably obscure gem of a title. A Fear Effect sequel is pretty high up on my next-generation wishlist, right alongside possible follow-ups to Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon Saga and of course, Shenmue 3.

Get out and hunt these games down like you have no other purpose in life. It'll put that crapware you call a PS2 to good use before the inevitable swan song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"