Gotham The Official Maggie Geha as Pamela Isley aka Poison Ivy

Dude, I'm a filmmaker. Know what that means? Films are my life, it's my business to know superb acting, great acting, good acting and mediocre. David falls in between the last two.
If films are your life, which films have you made? I'm a composer, but I would have a pretty hard time writing a Wiener classicist string quartet.

I've seen, for example, Moretz in Let Me In. (Funny you should mention her; the actors in the original Swedish movie are far better. Even more funny as that film "flopped"... seeing how you attacked David for starring in a failed film.) She's good but I don't think she can touch David. More than anything, David has an extreme level of facial expression control.
The only actor that's really stood out from this show was Cameron Monaghan. How do we know this? Ratings plummeted as soon as he got killed.
False.

Jerome died in The Last Laugh. 2:03. http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/gotham-season-two-ratings-38069/

The very fact that you refer to David's performance as simple "monotone" would tend to show you have no talent for appreciating acting. Thus is the difference between Bruno Heller, the creative mind of several television shows including Rome, and our self-confessed forum film maker. One claims that David is "without a doubt" the best actor ever to play the part of Bruce Wayne, greatly expanding his role on the show in recognition of his demonstrable talent, and the other is seriously contending he's a borderline mediocre performer.

I'll leave it to the audience to judge who's the more credible.

Last edited:
Huh, maybe we could get back into the subject of the thread instead of derailing it further, guys?

By all means.

Maggie Geha is a very limited actress and the decision to replace Clare Foley is hurting the show. There.

By all means.

Maggie Geha is a very limited actress and the decision to replace Clare Foley is hurting the show. There.

Not really. The rating this season are essentially the same with Foley and with Geha. I don't think the switch in actors for one character is that big of a deal overall.
Gotham has plenty of other problems to deal with to avoid going fractional.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/gotham-season-three-ratings/

Not really. The rating this season are essentially the same with Foley and with Geha. I don't think the switch in actors for one character is that big of a deal overall.
Gotham has plenty of other problems to deal with to avoid going fractional.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/gotham-season-three-ratings/
In case I was being unclear, I was speaking creatively.

It's impossible to draw any salient conclusion about her "effect on the ratings" from the limited statistical data, and this isn't the ratings thread.

In case I was being unclear, I was speaking creatively.

It's impossible to draw any salient conclusion about her "effect on the ratings" from the limited statistical data, and this isn't the ratings thread.

Not sure how one judges a show other than how many people continue to watch. Usually when bad creative decisions are made a show sheds viewers.
Otherwise all it amounts to is one personally didn't like the creative decisions the people running the show made. While the majority of viewers are just
fine with it. It's similar to when it was decided to kill Jerome. Some people were very vocal about it. They said it was a terrible decisions. It ruined the
show. They were done with the show. And yet the ratings were flat for months after that. So either a lot of new people started watching or no one really
cared after all. So then the question is back to how is replacing Clare Foley hurting the show? The actor that replaced her has more experience, is an adult
so is more available, and it allows for different story ideas. That would seem to be a help.

Not sure how one judges a show other than how many people continue to watch. Usually when bad creative decisions are made a show sheds viewers.
If I'm to take your first statement to the extreme it follows that Twilight: New Moon is a better movie than Martin. It means there can be no valid critique of television or any other medium that isn't an argument ad populum. If you want my detailed opinion why I think the recasting was a creative mistake, just ask.

As for the shedding of viewers, again, there is too little data. What data we have suggests there has been a shedding of viewers.

You pull up the killing of Jerome as an example. I'd argue that wasn't a creative mistake, and it did not seem to cost Gotham any viewers. Gotham season 2 episodes 1-4 scored 1.61, 1.63, 1.50, 1.52 and episode 11 scored 1.59. That's rock steady.

Season 3 episode 1-4 scored 1.29, 1.18, 1.02, 1.09 and episode 11 scored 1.00. The show lost 0.27 or 21% over just three episodes. That's a significant drop. It had very little positive buzz - that mainly came after the stellar episode 5 (and the show regained some viewers after episode 3.) However it's hard to say exactly what put people off. My bet is mostly on rotten fish.

I'm kind of an old fella, pretty far removed from the comic books of my youth. I don't recall Poison Ivy from back then; I was more or less introduced to her in Batman returns.

I watch Gotham for the entertainment, not to critique it or say that so-and-so is a better actor or whos-it has monotone delivery. If I can watch it and it's believable enough for me to escape reality for an hour a week, I'm good.

I have no problem with the re-casting of Ivy, except that it now makes her considerably older than Bruce. I had no idea Poison Ivy was so much older than Batman.

But whatever, you can't make a direct comparison between the characters of Gotham and the characters they will become. Poison Ivy of Gotham is not Poison Ivy of the comic books...yet. Salina is not Catwoman...yet. Bruce is not Batman...yet. They have a long way to go to evolve into those people. Those of you who have matured, as I have, know that you are a lot different than you were when you were teenagers.

That said, I don't believe everything the show does is perfect. I didn't like the fact that they killed off Jerome, whom they had set up so beautifully to become the Joker. Whether his resurrection is an attempt to fix that mistake, I don't know. but I don't care.

I watch the show and I am entertained; that is all I ask from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"