The Official NHL and Hockey Thread

John Constantine said:
Actually, Philly doesn't have Zhamnnov anymore :o

But they do have the aforementioned Mike RIchards and Jeff Carter. Two very good young centers.

I think the Flyers will do quite well. They signed three pretty good defensemen (Hatcher, Rathje, Therien) and going from Roenick to Forsberg is a pretty big step up. Will they win the Stanley Cup this year? I dunno, I'm really not betting on it, but you never know.....
Yea, I couldn't find a better site with all the transactions. He'll just tell me that Zhamnov is a dealbreaker. I heard about those 2 other signings though.

"Post all the stats in the world for Grahame... I saw him in Boston, he isn't anything special. Good luck with him though." How did that make any sense? You're telling me that when people play more they don't get better? Obviously you people think I'm lying about Grahame's stats, look them up. Saying that he isn't anything special and that I could post all the stats that I want and he still wouldn't be, just doesn't compute. So if he went undefeated, it wouldn't matter because you saw him in Boston and he wasn't anything special. That's really weird, dude. How do you people judge how good a person is then? http://www.nhl.com/players/8460715.html doesn't look like a bad goalie to me.

I'm just glad that smaller teams have a sincere chance at competing for the cup as the larger teams.

and that Patrick Roy clones won't be allowed to play.

TheAlmightyFuzz said:
"Post all the stats in the world for Grahame... I saw him in Boston, he isn't anything special. Good luck with him though." How did that make any sense? You're telling me that when people play more they don't get better? Obviously you people think I'm lying about Grahame's stats, look them up. Saying that he isn't anything special and that I could post all the stats that I want and he still wouldn't be, just doesn't compute. So if he went undefeated, it wouldn't matter because you saw him in Boston and he wasn't anything special. That's really weird, dude. How do you people judge how good a person is then?
Grahame played quite a bit in Boston. He never impressed me, that is all that I was saying. He isn't going to be as good as Khabibulin was for your team, but obviously that is going to be hard to replace. Remember... stats isn't everything.

Slipknot said:
Grahame played quite a bit in Boston. He never impressed me, that is all that I was saying. He isn't going to be as good as Khabibulin was for your team, but obviously that is going to be hard to replace. Remember... stats isn't everything.
His pattern has been that if you give him more starts, he's put up better stats. Do you honestly think that Khabibulin is the best goalie in the league? Looking at his season, I wouldn't say so, most people just looked at the playoffs and made that assumption. You say he's not going to be as good, probably not, but no one's asking him to, and I bet pretty much every goalie that's gone from backup to starter has had the same criticism before they got to prove themselves. Their asking him to be John Grahame, not Khabibulin, and John Grahame in your view is not good enough to be a starter, well, he's too good to be a backup. Stats don't prove everything but they prove a lot, some of you guys in here are acting like stats are nothing. I don't understand that, when you look at someone in the hall of fame, you look at their stats, you don't care about 1 game where they gave the puck to a guy when they had a chance to get it in an open net.

I said it before, he's not as good glove side, but he's better down low and he's got more size.

TheAlmightyFuzz said:
His pattern has been that if you give him more starts, he's put up better stats. Do you honestly think that Khabibulin is the best goalie in the league?

Khabibulin used to be the Jets backup, I even got his autograph since the starter was too sick for autographs after a win (which turned out great 'cause that starter lost his job to Khabby next season). So Graham may surprise and finally do really well. After watching the Bulin Wall's first playoff appearence against the Wings (their record season where the Avs won the Cup) and then those years in Phoenix I never would've thought he would a Stanley Cup winning goalie. Maybe carrying the team to the conference finals but never lifting a Cup.

In no particular order these are who I think are the top five goalies currently in the new NHL.

Nikolai Khabibulin
Miikka Kiprusoff
Robert Esche
Evgeni Nabokov
Martin Broduer

slinger said:
In no particular order these are who I think are the top five goalies currently in the new NHL.

Nikolai Khabibulin
Miikka Kiprusoff
Robert Esche
Evgeni Nabokov
Martin Broduer

No love for Roberto Luongo? :(

jonty30 said:
I'm just glad that smaller teams have a sincere chance at competing for the cup as the larger teams.

and that Patrick Roy clones won't be allowed to play.

I think thats not true the Devils and Lightning were the last two champs and they were small markets.

danielisthor said:

Partial, I will say he's probably going to be the most improved goalie - he got some playing time in the World Cup, new players/coach this season he'll finally reach the level people have expected him to reach ever since his World Jrs. performance in Winnipeg.

Pksoze said:
I think thats not true the Devils and Lightning were the last two champs and they were small markets.

Under the old system, because small market team owners generally don't have the same deep pockets as larger market teams, they were at a distinct disadvantage in getting the kind of players it took to win a cup.

My team, the Edmonton Oilers, ended up being a largely a training team for marquee players. Many of the top tier players in the NHL have passed through my team, but we could never keep them because the costs of their contract became too much to afford.

Under the new system, because the contracts will be limited to the overall revenue of the NHL, small market teams will be in a better position to compete for players and won't be outbid by teams like Pheonix or New York Rangers.

jonty30 said:
Under the old system, because small market team owners generally don't have the same deep pockets as larger market teams, they were at a distinct disadvantage in getting the kind of players it took to win a cup.

My team, the Edmonton Oilers, ended up being a largely a training team for marquee players. Many of the top tier players in the NHL have passed through my team, but we could never keep them because the costs of their contract became too much to afford.

Under the new system, because the contracts will be limited to the overall revenue of the NHL, small market teams will be in a better position to compete for players and won't be outbid by teams like Pheonix or New York Rangers.

Yet one of the most dominant teams in the league was NJ.

They play in the same division as NY and Philly and have won more championships than both the past 11 years. And they beat Detroit & Tampa in the playoffs teams which have won 4 of the last 10 cups.

A smart GM will compensate for lack of funds.

Pksoze said:
Yet one of the most dominant teams in the league was NJ.

They play in the same division as NY and Philly and have won more championships than both the past 11 years. And they beat Detroit & Tampa in the playoffs teams which have won 4 of the last 10 cups.

A smart GM will compensate for lack of funds.

I'm just saying that the new contract will be a big help.

jonty30 said:
I'm just saying that the new contract will be a big help.

We'll see.

All this does though is make the Rags not waste their money on 500 year old has beens. They might actually start using it wisely. :(

slinger said:
Khabibulin used to be the Jets backup, I even got his autograph since the starter was too sick for autographs after a win (which turned out great 'cause that starter lost his job to Khabby next season). So Graham may surprise and finally do really well. After watching the Bulin Wall's first playoff appearence against the Wings (their record season where the Avs won the Cup) and then those years in Phoenix I never would've thought he would a Stanley Cup winning goalie. Maybe carrying the team to the conference finals but never lifting a Cup.

Nikolai Khabibulin
Miikka Kiprusoff
Robert Esche
Evgeni Nabokov
Martin Broduer
That's exactly my point, you have to start out somewhere and when someone's a backup, people usually don't think "oh, this guy has what it takes to win the cup". I didn't once say Grahame was going to win the cup...but he's on it. :o

ok, then what were they in the old NHL :confused: what do you think of Rick DiPietro and Jose Theodore?

danielisthor said:
there's no way I could leave him out of a top goalies list. The guy had more shots on him than anyone else in the league, didn't have any help, and still ended up with a 2.43 GAA.

TheAlmightyFuzz said:
there's no way I could leave him out of a top goalies list. The guy had more shots on him than anyone else in the league, didn't have any help, and still ended up with a 2.43 GAA.

I don't think that matters. Lots of goalies thrive with lots of shots like Cujo in the regular season.

I rather have a goalie that I know will thrive in the playoffs.

Khab,Hasek, and Brodeur have proven this. Even Esche did pretty well. But a top 5 goalie has to be a money playoff goalie.

I'll just say Luongo has talent. Whether he's a great goalie is decided by the playoffs.

Welll for all you Hockey fans out there it appears that Wayne Gretsky is the new coach of the Coyotes

I don't really like that idea. It's a step down for him IMO (especially from his previous role with the Coyotes). Besides, what does he have to prove with being the coach of the Coyotes? :confused:

Pksoze said:
I don't think that matters. Lots of goalies thrive with lots of shots like Cujo in the regular season.

I rather have a goalie that I know will thrive in the playoffs.

Khab,Hasek, and Brodeur have proven this. Even Esche did pretty well. But a top 5 goalie has to be a money playoff goalie.

I'll just say Luongo has talent. Whether he's a great goalie is decided by the playoffs.
See, he's not doing anything wrong, he had no team behind him. There were a few good players but an awful team. That should really change this year.I didn't mean he's great like Patrick Roy or something, but he's a great talent.

TheAlmightyFuzz said:
That's exactly my point, you have to start out somewhere and when someone's a backup, people usually don't think "oh, this guy has what it takes to win the cup". I didn't once say Grahame was going to win the cup...but he's on it. :o

ok, then what were they in the old NHL :confused: what do you think of Rick DiPietro and Jose Theodore?

They were probably the top 5 in the old NHL. Its just a new NHL with a new logo, rules and some young exciting players.

Gretzky being coach? I see it as a marketing move in the desert. The Coyotes will get some more media attention and maybe a few casual fans will actually see a game. Sure he could be a decent coach but Wayne would be better replacing Gary Bettman next year. Sure I enjoy the boos Bettman recieves every time he steps on the ice but it would be better to see Gretzky give the Cup to a captain in June. He'll still be the Great One if he guides them to a respectable record but I believe he's wasting his time trying to save a cursed franchise (which he actually almost played for).

jose's fame went to his damn head so... he had to step up last season. he did... but wasnt all there. he can be a lot better than he wa swdoing. this season wil ltell. as long as he doesnt do anymore damn pizza place and doughnut commercails.. french piece of crap :mad:

Wasn't the reason why Theodore had an off-season last year due to the fact that practically his entire family was indicted for some crime? :confused:

Because I'm sure that if that happened to me, my head wouldn't be in the game as well......

that was last year.. prior to that.. nothing was really going on aside from it was his breakout amazing ywear where he won two awards despite having such crappy GAA.

note to that..

surprising that mtl didnt get rid of him due to their history with tossing out players invovled in humiliating stories

ala chelios and shnieder

tamps signed burke.

this is who they needed..

good for them..

yup... graham as starter... i guess they didnt think that would work hmmm :rolleyes:

Sucks Bertuzzi was allowed to play again. That guy should have been banned, period.

jonty30 said:
Sucks Bertuzzi was allowed to play again. That guy should have been banned, period.
I hope he gets booed when they announce his name in Vancouver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"