Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

I didn’t like Sony making their console exclusives available on PC either in the beginning but the more I think about it the more it makes sense Sony is just trying to create more revenue and they are just trying to reach out to more players With it’s brand of IPs which I have no problem with

Thing is, for Sony that's rather short-term thinking. It significantly reduces the value proposition of the Playstation compared to competing platforms. Sure, they still make money on the software sales, but only on the games they themselves publish. Whereas someone bought into the Playstation ecosystem, Sony makes money on *every* game they buy, and eventually on the hardware and accessories too. Its just a bad tradeoff unless Sony is convinced that absolutely no one will be willing to wait a few years to play their games on PC if they were at all willing to ever buy a Playstation. To me, that feels like "We think the success of the PS4 was inevitable cosmic law rather than us getting lucky" logic.

( Note: No, this logic doesn't apply to Microsoft. PC gaming effectively *is* a Microsoft ecosystem, just as much as the XBox is. People who buy gaming PCs may not give all their entertainment budget directly to Microsoft, but they do spend money directly and indirectly on Microsoft products and services, ranging from Windows to Office to the countless backend computer services Microsoft sells to the companies you *do* buy games from. )

Also, outside of preexisting contracts, I wouldn't count on Microsoft bringing anything to Playstation. Sony fans may get Starfield and other such games where Bethesda et alalready had them in the works for PS5, but anything that doesn't already have a contract and marketing plan? Its not coming to Playstation.

Microsoft might be willing to over GamePass functionality, since they want GamePass on everything, but Sony would be crazy to accept it.

There's just no way for committed and loyal pc and XboX players to ever buy a ps5 (which is still hard to find). Part of Ps4's successes were their "only to PlayStation" games. Now they have changed this mindset forever. Horizon, God of War, Uncharted, Insomniac Spider-Man, Last of Us, soon Ghost of Tsushima are on Pc. And future Sony games would eventually come to Pc.

Now time will tell how this would effect the sales of the Ps5.

Anyone know how long it takes for Sony to ship the PS5 through their Sony direct program? I just ordered the horizon bundle for my friends birthday wanted to know if anyone here has done the same and how long it took.

I wouldn’t say that…they are still outselling the competition despite supply shortages and they are constantly releasing their IPs/exclusive content on their consoles

I would say that they have has several setbacks/losses this generation with Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard being bought buy Microsoft and that Microsoft has a better streaming platform with Xbox Game Pass but Sony will surely bounce back from this I don’t see them paying out 5 billion dollars from this lawsuit

The number of people Sony would lose because they are mad their precious Sony games are on PC is easily negated by the number of people who could now buy Sony games when they couldn’t before. I’m sure they’ve done plenty of research and weighed the pros and cons before deciding to end their PlayStation monogamy and opening their fidelity up to PC players. I wouldn’t worry.

... and I was waiting for a price drop ha.

This gen sucks

Lol don’t Nintendo and EA do the same thing ?
30% cut is pretty much industry standard whether it's a digital store or a brick-and-mortar one. Epic Games offers the same prices but only takes 10-12% so I don't think the suit has any chances.

If the lawsuit wants to go after Sony for anti-consumerism, they should acknowledge that there's only one place for digital purchases (PSN). Nintendo and Microsoft both offer digital codes from Amazon and other third-party sellers. On PC, there are gazillions digital storefronts...

30% cut is pretty much industry standard whether it's a digital store or a brick-and-mortar one. Epic Games offers the same prices but only takes 10-12% so I don't think the suit has any chances.

If the lawsuit wants to go after Sony for anti-consumerism, they should acknowledge that there's only one place for digital purchases (PSN). Nintendo and Microsoft both offer digital codes from Amazon and other third-party sellers. On PC, there are gazillions digital storefronts...

Also note, if someone *did* try to bring up Epic in this context, there would be a super easy counter argument: "They also provide a lot fewer services for that money". Because they do, there's a bunch of stuff like currency conversion fees that Steam ( and most other storefronts ) cover part of the sales service, which the EGS dumps onto the publisher. Hence why they've been mostly unable to gain business partners without also offering cash up front.

... and I was waiting for a price drop ha.

This gen sucks

Silly question, but why would you even expect a price drop in the first place? The supply has been extremely tight, with no prospect of it loosening up all that much for possibly years. Sony is utterly unable to meet demand as is, why think they would deliberately create even more demand that they also can't meet?

Usually the supply situation isn't so bad so for those who don't want to pay top whack at the beginning of a generation, there's a decent chance of a cheaper console down the line - they're probably referring to that norm. Obviously in this situation with a mass chip shortage, Covid, crazy inflation etc we can't expect the norm. No reason for anyone to be cutting prices when they can't meet demand but I wasn't quite expecting a price rise all the same.

Silly question, but why would you even expect a price drop in the first place? The supply has been extremely tight, with no prospect of it loosening up all that much for possibly years. Sony is utterly unable to meet demand as is, why think they would deliberately create even more demand that they also can't meet?

Iceman covered it fairly well.

I didn't expect an imminent price drop considering the circumstances, but that is because the situation is ridiculous already. It's not unreasonable to think a console would begin to drop in price approaching two years after launch. Even with Sony's issues it is bonkers to see them going up instead, especially only in select countries.

I'm waiting for a lower barrier for entry because this generation has largely been a dumpster fire. I know that is a way off, however I'm in no rush. There's not a lot of games on the horizon that I'm invested in, and the average release seems to need months of post-launch work anyway. It's sad to see things in such a shambles but it is what it is.

Usually the supply situation isn't so bad so for those who don't want to pay top whack at the beginning of a generation, there's a decent chance of a cheaper console down the line - they're probably referring to that norm. Obviously in this situation with a mass chip shortage, Covid, crazy inflation etc we can't expect the norm. No reason for anyone to be cutting prices when they can't meet demand but I wasn't quite expecting a price rise all the same.

The yen is specifically weak at the moment.I heard it come up in a discussion over Nintendo possibly releasing a new console. Which puts Sony in a bit of a money crunch. MSRP has never been a direct conversion rate. It limits their spending power, in terms of manufacturing more units.

TBH I think they're trying to keep up with some of Microsofts innovations, and because they're trying to do it quickly, the consumer is bearing the brunt of that.

I can't imagine them producing anything but cheap cash grabs on smartphones, not when Sony was barely even willing to properly support their own, much more gaming-friendly, mobile platforms in the past. I mean, maybe they'll produce all the games for smartphone that they should have been producing for PSP and Vita? But I doubt it, this almost certainly isn't an actual change of creative mindset.

funny I have YET to see ANY PS5 console in stores other than bundles at game stop and those are kept in the back rooms in almost 2 years yet I can walk into 2 different Wal Marts and have seen at least 3 or 4 Xbox X and a few S models.

I've seen ready to buy Series X in stories in early 2021.

Maybe the demand for Series X isn't that huge.

Though that doesn't eXcuse for the slow production of these ps5s, 2 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"