Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

I knew this was the case. I heard way back when FFS7 remake was first announced in 2015 that the deal Square had with Sony was the same that Capcom had with them for Street Fighter 5

if the rumors about the Ps5 pro are true, maybe it'll be a sample of what next gen can do. right now, this gen's pro playstation is rumored to be more powerful than the base console and the Series X combined.

We'll see. I will keep my expectations on the low side and just expect graphics mode in 60 fps, but I'll be glad if they do something better than that.

Here in the states, especially among youth, iMessage is a necessity. last year a study was published wherein about 90% of teenagers all have an iPhone. and when those kids all grow up, they're going to continue to upgrade to iPhones. doesn't bode well for the future of Android phones in this country, even with RCS coming to iOS.

That's an extreme market share. Apple is certainly a company one can worry about in terms of a potential future where companies get more powerful than governments, although they of course aren't alone. I'm glad the EU is coming down on them for some of their anti-competition and customer behaviors though. It would be good if the US could show some balls in that regard too.

maybe not, but playstation has a lot of worldwide brand power, and I think that's something Apple would be interested in if they ever were to buy Sony. and by doing so, it would make it much easier for Sony to then acquire Take Two which would level the playing field in regard to the platform holders and the publishers they have under their belts.

but I think there is this huge dilemma for any American company trying to acquire a Japanese one. I don't know too much about it but I feel like it's rarely or just never happened.

I don't think there's any particular issue for an American company to buy a Japanese one in itself, but it of course has to be for sale and I don't think there are any such plans within Sony.

I knew this was the case. I heard way back when FFS7 remake was first announced in 2015 that the deal Square had with Sony was the same that Capcom had with them for Street Fighter 5

Well it looks like it isn’t confirmed to be exclusive

We'll see. I will keep my expectations on the low side and just expect graphics mode in 60 fps, but I'll be glad if they do something better than that.
here is the article I posted in the Ps5 pro thread, if you're interested
That's an extreme market share. Apple is certainly a company one can worry about in terms of a potential future where companies get more powerful than governments, although they of course aren't alone. I'm glad the EU is coming down on them for some of their anti-competition and customer behaviors though. It would be good if the US could show some balls in that regard too.
I don't think US is gonna do anything about it. It's only here that it's a problem, anyway. A lot of people try to downplay it but in social circles, I think it is a pretty serious problem. If you're a kid in the 10% who has an Android, you're gonna be chastised and ostracized for something that really shouldn't matter, something that's so silly.

I don't know if RCS is going to move the needle at all but it is definitely going to help existing communication between iOS and Android users.
I don't think there's any particular issue for an American company to buy a Japanese one in itself, but it of course has to be for sale and I don't think there are any such plans within Sony.
yeah, Sony is not up for grabs now but I think they could benefit from being backed by Apple one day. They wouldn't at the mercy of Microsoft's gargantuan acquisitions anymore, because they'll be able to make gargantuan acquisitions of their own (looking at you, Take Two!)

Well it looks like it isn’t confirmed to be exclusive
I saw that retraction and after having read it, it doesn't change what was said originally; the author is just confirming that FFSRemake 1 & 2 are confirmed to be playstation console exclusives and that it's not confirmed for FFSRemake 3. But whatever deal has been made for these games probably dates back to 2015 when it was first announced, so chances are the entire trilogy is going to be exclusive to the playstation family.

I think I posted before months about weirdness with Sony's software backend wiping out people's game access when they unsubscribed from PS+ because Sony's backend gets confused in their license system when you buy something while subscribed versus when you don't.

I think I posted before months about weirdness with Sony's software backend wiping out people's game access when they unsubscribed from PS+ because Sony's backend gets confused in their license system when you buy something while subscribed versus when you don't.
Dang, that's very unfortunate for people with digital titles in their libraries.

I never resubscribed my Psplus so I wonder what would happen to all the games I downloaded through that service if I ever resubscribe to it.

For everyone else though, Sony has to take this as a top priority. A few years ago I feel like their online infrastructure was just so bad with security because people's credit cards on file were constantly getting compromised.

here is the article I posted in the Ps5 pro thread, if you're interested

I saw that. I'm just saying that since it's a rumor I'll keep my expectations low (relative to my standards) and leave it up to them to possibly surprise me in a positive manner. I'm eager to see what they present.

I don't think US is gonna do anything about it. It's only here that it's a problem, anyway. A lot of people try to downplay it but in social circles, I think it is a pretty serious problem. If you're a kid in the 10% who has an Android, you're gonna be chastised and ostracized for something that really shouldn't matter, something that's so silly.

I don't know if RCS is going to move the needle at all but it is definitely going to help existing communication between iOS and Android users.

That particular issue may only be an issue over there but Apple (and other big companies, to be fair) are engaging in general anti-competition behavior and they've gotten forced to change some things in the EU. For example they've been ordered to allow side-loading apps and not force everyone to have to use the App Store, and they've been forced to allow companies to advertise pricing outside the App Store in apps.

yeah, Sony is not up for grabs now but I think they could benefit from being backed by Apple one day. They wouldn't at the mercy of Microsoft's gargantuan acquisitions anymore, because they'll be able to make gargantuan acquisitions of their own (looking at you, Take Two!)

I don't see Apple backing it without getting the profit from it though. Such large investments as big gaming companies will definitely need to pay off for the one forking out the money.

I saw that. I'm just saying that since it's a rumor I'll keep my expectations low (relative to my standards) and leave it up to them to possibly surprise me in a positive manner. I'm eager to see what they present.
that's the safe thing to do. but personally, I am hoping it's going to be true because it means the leap for the next generation, Ps6 is going to be (hopefully) astronomical, if I may be hyperbolic.
That particular issue may only be an issue over there but Apple (and other big companies, to be fair) are engaging in general anti-competition behavior and they've gotten forced to change some things in the EU. For example they've been ordered to allow side-loading apps and not force everyone to have to use the App Store, and they've been forced to allow companies to advertise pricing outside the App Store in apps.
I know, I heard about the whole side-loading apps thing that they're allowing which they didn't allow for a long time, even though I don't understand it. Adding USBC to iPhones was probably one of the best things they were forced to do, but I feel like with them preemptively adding RCS means they could do it their own way which could be the bare minimum.

Which is sad, because if they had the same forced hand with USBC, then it could have been a full fledged RCS experience with Androids. Google did announce that they're going to help Apple with the RCS implementation, so here's to hoping that the bubbles at least will not be green. I want them to be purple.
I don't see Apple backing it without getting the profit from it though. Such large investments as big gaming companies will definitely need to pay off for the one forking out the money.
that's true. Apple has gotten away with pricing their products exorbitantly, but if they bought Sony and the prices of playstation consoles got raised to $600 again, like I said before they'd already be doomed to fail.

Surely those will be refunded or made available after getting fixed. Can't just lose digital content on the fly!

I played some of it. Demo drops you right into some sci-fi gibberish story and characters but it’s focused on combat. Combat you fight defensively so it’s closer to maybe something like Onimusha or Code Vein with lots of skill trees. There’s three different graphics options and the music is like an electronic Nier. There’s an Arkham-like Detective Mode to help you figure out where to go, despite the demo being linear it’s not always clear.

that's the safe thing to do. but personally, I am hoping it's going to be true because it means the leap for the next generation, Ps6 is going to be (hopefully) astronomical, if I may be hyperbolic.

We'll see. I'm just going off how general computer components evolve in performance and price, where we aren't seeing great performance increases per dollar anymore. But Sony does need to deliver to stay ahead of the competition.

I know, I heard about the whole side-loading apps thing that they're allowing which they didn't allow for a long time, even though I don't understand it. Adding USBC to iPhones was probably one of the best things they were forced to do, but I feel like with them preemptively adding RCS means they could do it their own way which could be the bare minimum.

Which is sad, because if they had the same forced hand with USBC, then it could have been a full fledged RCS experience with Androids. Google did announce that they're going to help Apple with the RCS implementation, so here's to hoping that the bubbles at least will not be green. I want them to be purple.

We haven't seen the end of that whole thing and what Apple will do in the end. There are even some that think that they will abandon the EU market, but that's something I don't see happening. Currently there's a consistent struggle between Apple and Epic Games regarding these legal issues so we'll see where everything ends up. I'm just always glad when governments don't take the side of the gigantic corporations and instead look at what's good for competition and the consumers. With all the lobbying that's certainly not something one can take for granted.

that's true. Apple has gotten away with pricing their products exorbitantly, but if they bought Sony and the prices of playstation consoles got raised to $600 again, like I said before they'd already be doomed to fail.

I'm not sure. They may get their big loyal customer base to all become gamers. Apple has managed to create some remarkable brand loyalty.

We'll see. I'm just going off how general computer components evolve in performance and price, where we aren't seeing great performance increases per dollar anymore. But Sony does need to deliver to stay ahead of the competition.
But they also have to price accordingly to stay ahead of the competition. One reason why Ps3 struggled so much for the first few years of the seventh generation was because of its price tag, especially when compared to the 360 and Wii.
We haven't seen the end of that whole thing and what Apple will do in the end. There are even some that think that they will abandon the EU market, but that's something I don't see happening. Currently there's a consistent struggle between Apple and Epic Games regarding these legal issues so we'll see where everything ends up. I'm just always glad when governments don't take the side of the gigantic corporations and instead look at what's good for competition and the consumers. With all the lobbying that's certainly not something one can take for granted.
I'm not too familiar with what's going on between Apple and Epic, but yeah the Front Page Tech guy made a video about how since Apple gave the EU what they wanted (to make iPhones have USBC) now they're gonna continue demanding things from Apple for everything.

But if they were going to leave the EU market, they would have/should have done that already. The EU needs the iPhones more than iPhones need to sell there.
I'm not sure. They may get their big loyal customer base to all become gamers. Apple has managed to create some remarkable brand loyalty.
I dunno about that. I feel like a lot of people with iPhones also have PlayStations so I don't think suddenly becoming an Apple product will sway them. I suppose a higher price point might just make them think that paying more is worth it, I just cannot help like it will be inevitable doom.

Yes I want to be able to emulate PS3 games like LBP, SOCOM series, Resistance Trilogy, MGS4 and Killzone 2 and 3
hell yes, MGS4 is arguably the greatest Ps3 game, and it's stuck on that system since there is no backwards compatibility.

I played me some Killzone 3 multiplayer and I had fun with that too, especially because of how gorgeous the graphics were back then. I think the blizzard was graphically more impressive than Uc2's.

and outside of LBP, I think the Resistance trilogy is also underrated. I played every game in the series and had TONS of fun times with splitscreen.

there is one particular game on PsP that I have always wanted to play, and that's Digimon Adventure.
That's funny, I always wanted to play that game too lol. I remember getting the strategy guide when I was a kid and just reading through it...but never had the chance to play it.

But they also have to price accordingly to stay ahead of the competition. One reason why Ps3 struggled so much for the first few years of the seventh generation was because of its price tag, especially when compared to the 360 and Wii.

Yes, pricing is important but if both Playstation and Xbox aim for performance both could potentially get more expensive. If maintaining the historical price is the bigger focus we'll see lesser performance steps. I see Nintendo doing their own thing to the side rather than being a direct competitor so I don't think they will focus as much on what they do.

I'm not too familiar with what's going on between Apple and Epic, but yeah the Front Page Tech guy made a video about how since Apple gave the EU what they wanted (to make iPhones have USBC) now they're gonna continue demanding things from Apple for everything.

But if they were going to leave the EU market, they would have/should have done that already. The EU needs the iPhones more than iPhones need to sell there.

I don't think the EU is in a need situation. If that was the case Apple could get away with what they want by just threatening to leave. Apple is a company so it needs to continue to grow, and losing a pretty big market is definitely not the way to go about that. While the EU doesn't need them it of course doesn't mean it has any desire to see them gone. It's not about trying to squeeze them for money, it's about maintaining a fair market and stomp out unfair business practices. Something all governments should be putting effort into as they serve the people, not the biggest financial interests.

I dunno about that. I feel like a lot of people with iPhones also have PlayStations so I don't think suddenly becoming an Apple product will sway them. I suppose a higher price point might just make them think that paying more is worth it, I just cannot help like it will be inevitable doom.

Many have both because there is no competition there. Apple has no relevant gaming presence (save for mobile gaming perhaps, which isn't relevant to me). But if they were to buy up Sony and focus on console gaming I think they would focus a lot of marketing on drawing in their existing customer base that isn't yet gaming. I don't think they would want to invest in that way though. Even though it's profitable it seems like they are focusing more on consumer products that they think everyone will use.

Yes, pricing is important but if both Playstation and Xbox aim for performance both could potentially get more expensive. If maintaining the historical price is the bigger focus we'll see lesser performance steps. I see Nintendo doing their own thing to the side rather than being a direct competitor so I don't think they will focus as much on what they do.
the Series S is the lower tier Xbox console this generation, but it's still higher performing than the Xbone X. But the Series S launched at $300. How could they make the Series S so affordable if performance keeps making the hardware more expensive?
I don't think the EU is in a need situation. If that was the case Apple could get away with what they want by just threatening to leave. Apple is a company so it needs to continue to grow, and losing a pretty big market is definitely not the way to go about that. While the EU doesn't need them it of course doesn't mean it has any desire to see them gone. It's not about trying to squeeze them for money, it's about maintaining a fair market and stomp out unfair business practices. Something all governments should be putting effort into as they serve the people, not the biggest financial interests.
some would argue it's about bullying them for power, since their products are so highly coveted by their fan base. this is the video that I am referencing. it's a bit of a long watch so I don't blame if you don't wanna waste your time on it, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it

Many have both because there is no competition there. Apple has no relevant gaming presence (save for mobile gaming perhaps, which isn't relevant to me). But if they were to buy up Sony and focus on console gaming I think they would focus a lot of marketing on drawing in their existing customer base that isn't yet gaming. I don't think they would want to invest in that way though. Even though it's profitable it seems like they are focusing more on consumer products that they think everyone will use.
part of me wishes that Apple could just buy Sony one day because that would give PlayStation the buying power that Xbox has. GTA becoming first party, like how CoD is now first party on Xbox, could be a reality that way. surely they must have thought about it, when looking into the video game industry and they see their current own biggest competitor Google fail with the Stadia, and Sony currently leading the competition within the industry...and I feel like the PlayStation brand would fit in well within Apple's ecosystem too.

I remember a few years ago there were talks about Apple acquiring Sony would be interesting to see how much a deal like that would cost

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"