Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

When you compare to remastered games it really matters how well those remasters were made, as all remasters certainly aren't equal. Both those faces are much more natural than the original version (and I've only seen the better PS4 Pro version of the game), which is the one we should be comparing to if we are looking at the performance gap between the PS4 and the PS5.
That's true. Some developers are better at remastering games than others; there was discussion about Rockstar's blunder with the Ps2 GTA series remastered game in this thread and how that went for them.

Also, if I'm understanding you correctly when you say you've only seen the Ps4 pro version and that's the version we should compare in performance gaps between the Ps4 and 5, then I agree with that too. The pro consoles are just incremental improvements on the original releases, and the successor should blow the pro consoles out of the water as well which I think they did.
Furthermore, the PS5 can render at double the frame rate, which alone means a huge jump in power.
Really? Spider-Man 2 could run at 60fps on Ps5? That is impressive, then. I didn't know that.
Hence why I said to each their own. I'm 100% certain I'd see the difference right away, and it would be even easier if we ran on 60 fps mode where the fidelity difference would be slightly lower.
The fact that Ps5 can run an open world at a constant and steady 60fps is definitely a testament to its prowess. I think we still haven't seen the console's full potential yet, so I hope in the future we will be able to see new software that doesn't have to sacrifice graphical fidelity for framerate, and has the best possible output of both.
You could lower the profit margins but you'd never get the flagship phones of today for $500, they do cost more than that to make. There are cheaper versions available though so people can get something more affordable, and the vast majority would do just as fine with those as with the best. I think the problem just becomes that people want the best just because. Some talk about status, but I've never seen the point in that. So many people have the most expensive phones anyway as it's still a relatively cheap luxury product compared to a luxury car, or something like that.
It's DEFINITELY that. I mean, we can talk all about how iPhones are the most mainstream, what's trendy, and the source of the whole blue bubble vs green bubble problem in the United States.

I have a Pixel 8 pro, and I personally went for the pro because I don't want to miss out on any camera features. Google didn't always make camera features exclusive to the bigger phone;this started with the 6 series, I think. But I hate having big phones. I'd rather have the standard size.

For the Ps5 slim, probably.

But the original ps5 was discounted during the holidays.

You wouldn't buy a laptop though to play proper games, the ones capable of running some of the latest games are notoriously expensive running into the thousands & the same specs on a regular PC would see the cost halved. A standard PC though you could spend £400/$500 on one.

I need to see how much the PS5 costs & also compared to the next Xbox, it's unlikely I'll pick one up at launch though unless either of them has or does something that I currently don't foresee.
Yeah, unless you need the portable aspect and have a huge budget, a desktop will give you much better performance at a given cost. I sure a big part of the added cost is trying to stop something so much smaller from overheating.

I actually was a little bit curious since it was Twisted Metal.

Hmm. I didn't even know they were thinking of making a new Twisted metal. The only one I ever played was Twisted metal 2, but I had a lot of fun with it back in the day.

I'm also curious about Anthony Mackie's Twisted metal TV show. Although I don't have the streaming service needed to watch it.

That's true. Some developers are better at remastering games than others; there was discussion about Rockstar's blunder with the Ps2 GTA series remastered game in this thread and how that went for them.

Also, if I'm understanding you correctly when you say you've only seen the Ps4 pro version and that's the version we should compare in performance gaps between the Ps4 and 5, then I agree with that too. The pro consoles are just incremental improvements on the original releases, and the successor should blow the pro consoles out of the water as well which I think they did.

I'm not saying that we should (or shouldn't) compare to the Pro but even if we do I think there's a clear difference. I think we agree as even if the regular versions are the easiest comparisons you are right in that a new generation really needs to step it up from a Pro to make it feel significant.

Really? Spider-Man 2 could run at 60fps on Ps5? That is impressive, then. I didn't know that.

Yes, pretty much all PS5 games have a performance mode that aims for 60 fps and a quality mode that aims for 30 (and I'd always recommend going with the performance mode, unless some developer screwed up something). The games may not always hold a steady 60 fps, but then again PS4 games didn't hold a steady 30 either, so that's to be expected.

The fact that Ps5 can run an open world at a constant and steady 60fps is definitely a testament to its prowess. I think we still haven't seen the console's full potential yet, so I hope in the future we will be able to see new software that doesn't have to sacrifice graphical fidelity for framerate, and has the best possible output of both.

Yes, we are likely to keep seeing improvements in software as PS4 games just kept getting better in that regard as developers get better at optimizing code for the hardware. I still think we'll get to choose between quality and performance modes even in the future but both should be looking better. Of course the Pro versions will look better as it will have better hardware, but they definitely won't forget the regular PS5 as there will be more customers that have that one than the Pro.

It's DEFINITELY that. I mean, we can talk all about how iPhones are the most mainstream, what's trendy, and the source of the whole blue bubble vs green bubble problem in the United States.

I have a Pixel 8 pro, and I personally went for the pro because I don't want to miss out on any camera features. Google didn't always make camera features exclusive to the bigger phone;this started with the 6 series, I think. But I hate having big phones. I'd rather have the standard size.

Haha, I remember hearing about the blue vs green bubble and being quite confounded over that. That didn't make it over here to Sweden, fortunately.

That's at least a good thing with the phone market; that there is plenty of choice for discerning customers that really look into what they want. As for screens I do like big ones as I'm spending so much of my phone time surfing the web, but they are definitely significantly worse to carry around. It does become a problem at times, mainly during summer when you might not have an appropriate pocket for it in all of your clothes.

I'm not saying that we should (or shouldn't) compare to the Pro but even if we do I think there's a clear difference. I think we agree as even if the regular versions are the easiest comparisons you are right in that a new generation really needs to step it up from a Pro to make it feel significant.
exactly that. the new generation needs to be so high up above and away from the previous that the distinction shouldn't even matter between the previous pro, or OG models.
Yes, pretty much all PS5 games have a performance mode that aims for 60 fps and a quality mode that aims for 30 (and I'd always recommend going with the performance mode, unless some developer screwed up something). The games may not always hold a steady 60 fps, but then again PS4 games didn't hold a steady 30 either, so that's to be expected.
this generation I think there was only one game where I had that choice, which was the launch title Demon's Souls. while I didn't play the game for very long because I sucked at it, I did always choose performance mode. that was also the only time this generation that I paid the full $70 for a brand new game this generation, only because I wanted to support the developer. I have never paid that price since.
Yes, we are likely to keep seeing improvements in software as PS4 games just kept getting better in that regard as developers get better at optimizing code for the hardware. I still think we'll get to choose between quality and performance modes even in the future but both should be looking better. Of course the Pro versions will look better as it will have better hardware, but they definitely won't forget the regular PS5 as there will be more customers that have that one than the Pro.
that's definitely something I'm looking forward to. I used Uncharted as an example, but looking at the progress from Uc1-3, you can really see the improvements on display. the Tekken series is one that has been on all generations of Playstation, and also was a great showcase in the first generations showing the graphical prowess of the consoles. From the original trilogy on Ps1, to Tekken Tag, 4, & 5 on Ps2. Tekken 5 in particular was regarded as one of the best looking games ever on Ps2.

That didn't hold as well on the Ps3 though and I think part of the reason why is because that was the first time Tekken went multiplatform. Before that point it was largely exclusive to the Playstation series of consoles.
Haha, I remember hearing about the blue vs green bubble and being quite confounded over that. That didn't make it over here to Sweden, fortunately.

That's at least a good thing with the phone market; that there is plenty of choice for discerning customers that really look into what they want. As for screens I do like big ones as I'm spending so much of my phone time surfing the web, but they are definitely significantly worse to carry around. It does become a problem at times, mainly during summer when you might not have an appropriate pocket for it in all of your clothes.
trust me, the problem is entirely US-centric. I know iMessage is mostly used here in America but elsewhere, people usually just download Whatsapp and it eliminates this problem.

But as far as choice goes, there is still only two platforms to choose; either iOS, or Android. Sure, there are a lot of options when it comes to Android phones, but the software overall is still at its core still the same. It's not like there is the sony Playstation, and an alternative "apple" Playstation and "samsung' playstation if Sony actually gave them licenses to make consoles as well. That'd be quite interesting, haha. the same hardware in name, perhaps the same or similar software, just made by different companies

this generation I think there was only one game where I had that choice, which was the launch title Demon's Souls. while I didn't play the game for very long because I sucked at it, I did always choose performance mode. that was also the only time this generation that I paid the full $70 for a brand new game this generation, only because I wanted to support the developer. I have never paid that price since.

I can't speak for all titles and I certainly have missed some games not having it, but 60 fps was a console goal for Sony so I would expect most to aim for that. All games I've played, and paid any real attention to, have had it. Even Baldur's Gate 3, which is a game that would be pretty forgiving in 30 fps. At least combat-wise.

that's definitely something I'm looking forward to. I used Uncharted as an example, but looking at the progress from Uc1-3, you can really see the improvements on display. the Tekken series is one that has been on all generations of Playstation, and also was a great showcase in the first generations showing the graphical prowess of the consoles. From the original trilogy on Ps1, to Tekken Tag, 4, & 5 on Ps2. Tekken 5 in particular was regarded as one of the best looking games ever on Ps2.

That didn't hold as well on the Ps3 though and I think part of the reason why is because that was the first time Tekken went multiplatform. Before that point it was largely exclusive to the Playstation series of consoles.

One thing that I think is needed to really push the optimization is more exclusive games. There haven't been that many this far, and of the ones I've played it's pretty much just the Demon's Souls remake I wasn't disappointed in (not saying they were bad, just not as good as I hoped). I've still enjoyed the PS5 a ton since I'm just not playing on my PC anymore and the console just handles the multiplatform games well. I do see some clear differences between multiplatform and exclusive titles though, not least in loading times. The last game I played, Baldur's Gate 3, had some decently lengthy loading times while Final Fantasy VII Rebirth pretty much loads everything near instantly. A clear case of exclusive games being better optimized for the PS5's storage and loading tech.

trust me, the problem is entirely US-centric. I know iMessage is mostly used here in America but elsewhere, people usually just download Whatsapp and it eliminates this problem.

But as far as choice goes, there is still only two platforms to choose; either iOS, or Android. Sure, there are a lot of options when it comes to Android phones, but the software overall is still at its core still the same. It's not like there is the sony Playstation, and an alternative "apple" Playstation and "samsung' playstation if Sony actually gave them licenses to make consoles as well. That'd be quite interesting, haha. the same hardware in name, perhaps the same or similar software, just made by different companies

Yeah, the options are mainly for hardware. Still I'm glad that there's at least two big mobile OS around as I'm just not a fan of Apple's way of designing things. I prefer being able to customize things more to my liking.

To have different OS on the same console isn't likely to mean as much as on phones and computers though, as gaming consoles are pretty limited in what you do with them. You'd probably be just as well off getting to choose different UI's as skins. The difference in consoles will keep being the complete package and multiplatform games allow you to just pick whatever you want and still get to play. As said it comes with the drawback of less optimization for more unique hardware solutions, but on the other hand exclusive games make it harder for gamers to just get to play whatever they want. It's all just a big mess of compromises.

I can't speak for all titles and I certainly have missed some games not having it, but 60 fps was a console goal for Sony so I would expect most to aim for that. All games I've played, and paid any real attention to, have had it. Even Baldur's Gate 3, which is a game that would be pretty forgiving in 30 fps. At least combat-wise.

One thing that I think is needed to really push the optimization is more exclusive games. There haven't been that many this far, and of the ones I've played it's pretty much just the Demon's Souls remake I wasn't disappointed in (not saying they were bad, just not as good as I hoped). I've still enjoyed the PS5 a ton since I'm just not playing on my PC anymore and the console just handles the multiplatform games well. I do see some clear differences between multiplatform and exclusive titles though, not least in loading times. The last game I played, Baldur's Gate 3, had some decently lengthy loading times while Final Fantasy VII Rebirth pretty much loads everything near instantly. A clear case of exclusive games being better optimized for the PS5's storage and loading tech.
hmm...well come to think of it, I feel like I haven't even played any of Sony's 1st party output this generation outside of DeS. And even with that game, I didn't play it for very long. I've mostly just been playing my backlog of Ps4 games and I lost interest in playing CoD ever since the news of Microsoft acquiring Activision first broke. So I wonder now, do FFS16, Returnal, GoW Ragnarok, and Horizon Forbidden West run in 60fps? Besides Spider-Man 2, those are all of the AAA exclusive Ps5 games that come to mind. There's also the recently released FFS72 that you mention. You've been playing it, does that also run in 60fps?
Yeah, the options are mainly for hardware. Still I'm glad that there's at least two big mobile OS around as I'm just not a fan of Apple's way of designing things. I prefer being able to customize things more to my liking.
iPhones are much more customizable now than they were in the past. It's one of the reasons why Androids marketshare is shrinking. I actually made a thread about the messaging situation in the Tech forum. Not much has happened yet, but once RCS comes to iOS it's going to bring some big changes to communication between the two platforms.

To have different OS on the same console isn't likely to mean as much as on phones and computers though, as gaming consoles are pretty limited in what you do with them. You'd probably be just as well off getting to choose different UI's as skins. The difference in consoles will keep being the complete package and multiplatform games allow you to just pick whatever you want and still get to play. As said it comes with the drawback of less optimization for more unique hardware solutions, but on the other hand exclusive games make it harder for gamers to just get to play whatever they want. It's all just a big mess of compromises.
so theoretically, if Sony gave licenses to Apple & Samsung to make their own Ps5s, the specifications would be the same but the skin on the UI would be the only major difference? that makes sense as all of the games would need to seamlessly be able to run the same waay across the board of all of them. they could also make their own exterior designs too though, couldn't they?

hmm...well come to think of it, I feel like I haven't even played any of Sony's 1st party output this generation outside of DeS. And even with that game, I didn't play it for very long. I've mostly just been playing my backlog of Ps4 games and I lost interest in playing CoD ever since the news of Microsoft acquiring Activision first broke. So I wonder now, do FFS16, Returnal, GoW Ragnarok, and Horizon Forbidden West run in 60fps? Besides Spider-Man 2, those are all of the AAA exclusive Ps5 games that come to mind. There's also the recently released FFS72 that you mention. You've been playing it, does that also run in 60fps?

Yes, they all run at 60 fps.

iPhones are much more customizable now than they were in the past. It's one of the reasons why Androids marketshare is shrinking. I actually made a thread about the messaging situation in the Tech forum. Not much has happened yet, but once RCS comes to iOS it's going to bring some big changes to communication between the two platforms.

Yes, they've improved a bunch of things over the years so it's certainly better. I don't think iOS lacks anything that I would consider necessary to call it a smart phone anymore.

so theoretically, if Sony gave licenses to Apple & Samsung to make their own Ps5s, the specifications would be the same but the skin on the UI would be the only major difference? that makes sense as all of the games would need to seamlessly be able to run the same waay across the board of all of them. they could also make their own exterior designs too though, couldn't they?

Yes, that would have to be the way it worked if it's still going to work as a very defined platform that makes it easy for developers to work with. I would guess that really different looks could be the main selling point.

Yes, they all run at 60 fps.
That is truly remarkable. That's something a lot of top tier video games weren't able to achieve last generation, even on the Ps4 pro or Xbone X.
Yes, they've improved a bunch of things over the years so it's certainly better. I don't think iOS lacks anything that I would consider necessary to call it a smart phone anymore.
did iPhones lack something in the past that you'd consider necessary to be a smartphone?
Yes, that would have to be the way it worked if it's still going to work as a very defined platform that makes it easy for developers to work with. I would guess that really different looks could be the main selling point.
I see. Well you know what, stranger things have already happened, so who knows? Console sales are alive and healthy, but if somehow the interest in this hardware ever begins to dwindle, perhaps the platform holders will consider something like this.

That is truly remarkable. That's something a lot of top tier video games weren't able to achieve last generation, even on the Ps4 pro or Xbone X.

Yes, I think that was a really important step with this generation as 60 fps really does flow a lot better than 30. Now we have to build better and better graphics on top of that new standard. I wonder when we'll get a console that really handles ray tracing really well. That's something that looks really good but doesn't necessarily change the look of games in general as much as it hurts performance.

did iPhones lack something in the past that you'd consider necessary to be a smartphone?

Yes, they had some limitations that I think stopped it from feeling "smart". For example the restriction that didn't allow apps to look up phone numbers and tell you who's calling if it's an unknown number. Such services that makes the phone work for you is what I feel is smart, rather than features that just allow you to do more things manually. But as said, I don't think any of my significant gripes are left anymore.

I see. Well you know what, stranger things have already happened, so who knows? Console sales are alive and healthy, but if somehow the interest in this hardware ever begins to dwindle, perhaps the platform holders will consider something like this.

There's always a chance of products evolving into something new if the demand changes, so who knows?

Last edited:
In the case of FFXVI if you run it in performance mode it runs at 30 FPS locked. If you run it on graphics mode it runs erratically at 48-60 FPS, but if that mode is running on a VRR compatible TV like mine it runs the graphics mode at 59 FPS with the very rare dip. So VRR does a lot of the work on some high end graphics modes.

The improvements of Spider-Man 2 don't really translate into still images. The sheer speed of the sequel is its most 'next-gen' feature. The city is more dense with detail and variety, but just how fast it all whips by is the real impressive feat.

Yeah the read speeds of the SSDs helps the graphics as well in terms of volume of stuff that can be put in front of the player and change that stuff quickly thanks to the read speed.

Yes, I think that was a really important step with this generation as 60 fps really does flow a lot better than 30. Now we have to build better and better graphics on top of that new standard. I wonder when we'll get a console that really handles ray tracing really well. That's something that looks really good but doesn't necessarily change the look of games in general as much as it hurts performance.
Ray tracing is a graphical process that helps to show reflections off of surfaces, right? I thought ray tracing was one of the staple features of the Ps5. is that something that it struggles with?
Yes, they had some limitations that I think stopped it from feeling "smart". For example the restriction that didn't allow apps to look up phone numbers and tell you who's calling if it's an unknown number. Such services that makes the phone work for you is what I feel is smart, rather than features that just allow you to do more things manually. But as said, I don't think any of my significant gripes are left anymore.
it's interesting that you used the word "smart" because a few years ago when I was upgrading to the Pixel 6 pro, I watched a review on Youtube by Flossy Carter, and in his own words he said that when you use that phone, you're going to feel "smart." In contrast, when he reviewed the iPhone 13 pro which I think was the phone to come out in the same year, he said that you're going to feel "trendy." which makes sense, because if you want to keep up with the latest and greatest that celebrities and all the famous people have, you get the latest iPhone because that's probably what they have.
There's always a chance of products evolving into something new if the demand changes, so who knows?
I've thought of something like that happening a long time ago, back when Sony was struggling with the Ps3. I thought what with Ps3 being a $600 product, what if Sony licensed additional production to Samsung or Apple which could help in sales. At this point...I wouldn't even be surprised if Apple or Google just buy Sony someday. That would give Playstation the same power that Xbox has as far as acquisitions go.

Ray tracing is a graphical process that helps to show reflections off of surfaces, right? I thought ray tracing was one of the staple features of the Ps5. is that something that it struggles with?
RT simulates realistic shadows, non-direct lighting and reflections, yeah. Both Sony and MS want to push it for current-gen, but they're on AMD tech and they are far behind Nvidia in that aspect.

But competition is good, right? Let's see what they can come up with down the road, including Intel as the third player in the GPU war.

RT simulates realistic shadows, non-direct lighting and reflections, yeah. Both Sony and MS want to push it for current-gen, but they're on AMD tech and they are far behind Nvidia in that aspect.

But competition is good, right? Let's see what they can come up with down the road, including Intel as the third player in the GPU war.
with Intel partnering with Microsoft I feel like Xbox is going to accelerate the graphics department very fast

I hope the PS6 is smaller in physical size than the ps5. And I want the design to be really slick.

Raytracing is a way to simulate realistic light, so it does everything like reflections, shadows, etc, that light does in reality. Games don't have to use it for everything, sometimes it uses it for one thing but not others. The PS5 isn't nearly strong enough to go full ray tracing in a game with high level graphics. You still need a high end PC to do that really well.

it's interesting that you used the word "smart" because a few years ago when I was upgrading to the Pixel 6 pro, I watched a review on Youtube by Flossy Carter, and in his own words he said that when you use that phone, you're going to feel "smart." In contrast, when he reviewed the iPhone 13 pro which I think was the phone to come out in the same year, he said that you're going to feel "trendy." which makes sense, because if you want to keep up with the latest and greatest that celebrities and all the famous people have, you get the latest iPhone because that's probably what they have.

Not a bad description. But as said iPhone has lost most of their big issues for me, although there are still plenty of things I don't like due to personal preference, but that's fine. They do have good hardware, but as with so many phones it's better than the vast majority have need of.

I've thought of something like that happening a long time ago, back when Sony was struggling with the Ps3. I thought what with Ps3 being a $600 product, what if Sony licensed additional production to Samsung or Apple which could help in sales. At this point...I wouldn't even be surprised if Apple or Google just buy Sony someday. That would give Playstation the same power that Xbox has as far as acquisitions go.

A purchase of Sony is probably the most likely scenario if we get change, although I do find that unlikely as things stand. I'm not sure anything in Sony is profitable enough to drive a company like Apple to fork up the insane money that would take, even though they have tons of liquid means.

Raytracing is a way to simulate realistic light, so it does everything like reflections, shadows, etc, that light does in reality. Games don't have to use it for everything, sometimes it uses it for one thing but not others. The PS5 isn't nearly strong enough to go full ray tracing in a game with high level graphics. You still need a high end PC to do that really well.
if the rumors about the Ps5 pro are true, maybe it'll be a sample of what next gen can do. right now, this gen's pro playstation is rumored to be more powerful than the base console and the Series X combined.
Not a bad description. But as said iPhone has lost most of their big issues for me, although there are still plenty of things I don't like due to personal preference, but that's fine. They do have good hardware, but as with so many phones it's better than the vast majority have need of.
Here in the states, especially among youth, iMessage is a necessity. last year a study was published wherein about 90% of teenagers all have an iPhone. and when those kids all grow up, they're going to continue to upgrade to iPhones. doesn't bode well for the future of Android phones in this country, even with RCS coming to iOS.
A purchase of Sony is probably the most likely scenario if we get change, although I do find that unlikely as things stand. I'm not sure anything in Sony is profitable enough to drive a company like Apple to fork up the insane money that would take, even though they have tons of liquid means.
maybe not, but playstation has a lot of worldwide brand power, and I think that's something Apple would be interested in if they ever were to buy Sony. and by doing so, it would make it much easier for Sony to then acquire Take Two which would level the playing field in regard to the platform holders and the publishers they have under their belts.

but I think there is this huge dilemma for any American company trying to acquire a Japanese one. I don't know too much about it but I feel like it's rarely or just never happened.

Eh, sounds more like Intel will make CPUs to power-up Microsoft's AI and cloud services (OpenAI and Azure respectively).
well, we have seen what AI is capable of these days and it's still in its infancy. if Microsoft can take the reigns on its capabilities then I think their CPUs will be way ahead of the game past its competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"