• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The one piece of literature you hated reading in school

Oh dear... any book by Thomas Hardy, but especially Return of the Native. I actually liked some of the stuff you guys mentioned here - they are classics for a reason! I'm in my freshmen year in college now and, thus far the only thing I hate are the classes, not the texts :)

There are a few others, especially among poetry, but if it had to be one piece Mr. Hardy gets the vote. I had a brilliant teacher for my A-Levels (high school), so not too many complaints there.

Quixote and 1984 are both awesome. Go kill yourself!

hahahah what English teacher did you have in High school Doomsy!! i knew the jokes were coming aplenty when i mentioned that book... this is the hype after all !
too bad there wasnt anything funny about reading that stupid book!
no cyborg whaling fishermen ! nothing!:cwink:

:hehe: Speak for yourself, I mentally replaced the white whale with a time traveling whale cyborg. I might sell the idea to Hollywood. I think I'll call it 'Terminator Dick'. Did I mention that whale's BFF was a talking pie?

I'd have to go with The Scarlett Letter. It was just so melodramatic in the worst possible way. I remember also having to read Wuthering Heights but the melodrama in that book worked surprisingly well. Scarlett Letter? Not so much.

I always heard 1984 was superior to Brave New World, so I read the former and not the latter. Why do some people say BNW was better? What did it contain that 1984 lacked? Serious question. If you convince me, I'll pick it up next time I'm at ye olde book-store.
1984 IS better than Brave New World. The story flows better, it has more potent themes, better characterization, better plot, rising action, climax, denouement, etc. To this day it is still my favorite book of all time and an alarming insight and foreshadowing of global superpowers, government corruption, and even corporate america. That being said BNW is still an amazing book. Its themes are more subtle and less brash than 1984, but very poignant nonetheless. I think Brave New World is more comparable to the film Gattaca. BNW focuses more on themes of individuality where as 1984 focuses more on government corruption and politcal ideologies. You should still read Brave New World. These two books are the cream of the crop when it comes to dystopian literature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"