The Riddler?

Minus Shock

Captain Simple Jack
Reaction score
Okay two questions:

What is a really great Riddler centric story?
What is your favorite Riddler riddle/quote?

In b4 someone mentions Hush.

A lot of the better Riddler stories are mostly from the silver and bronze age. I know a lot of people don't like to read comics that old though so I don't know if I'd recommend any just yet. When it comes to modern age you'd find some gems here and there. These come to mind

Dark Knight, Dark City (I saw that it was reprinted recently in one of those supersized DC PRESENTS books so it may not be hard to find)
Run Riddler Run (nice early 90's Riddler story right here)
The Riddle Factory (one shot by Matt Wagner that came out during the Batman Forever hype)
Riddled ('tec #707; bad place any Riddler story by Chuck Dixon is worth reading)

Both Long Halloween and Dark Victory have solid Riddler action. So does Catwoman: When in Rome.

Hush is a good one, it shouldn't go unmentioned.

You shut up, womp!

I told YOU to shut up Second! So just SHUT UP!

Well I told you to shut up FIRST! And I formatted this post.

Formatting is for people who need to just Shut Up because your to concerned with that than actually telling the person to Shut Up. SO SHUT UP!

I do own both Hush volumes. Pretty great if you ask me. I just want to find some awesome quitessential Riddler stories. He's my favorite villain based on the little I see him.

I also really want to get a riddle tattoed on me so I want to try and find a short-ish riddle to which the answer is Justice... any help?

You know, I've been reading comics for quite a few years now, and since the early 00's, Riddler really hasn't been a villain per se. He's been more of an egotistical private eye trying to show up Batman at every turn. So there haven't really been a ton of riddles lying around. That seems to be more of a silver age and TV/Movie thing. You could check out Alex Ross' Justice. I seem to recall Riddler playing a role in that. I know for sure old man Riddler is in Kingdom Come a little bit.

The episode "Riddler's Reform" from BTAS is one of my favorite Riddler stories. I love when Ed's not so overt with his shenanigans. Or, even when he is doing obvious riddles, there are hidden meanings within the puzzle and/or the answer.

Batman Forever had some of that, underneath the extremely unsubtle craziness of Jim Carrey's portrayal (I'm much more a fan of calm, slicked-back hair Riddler than raving balls-to-the-wall-crazy Riddler) where his stalking-Bruce-Wayne-riddles had that hidden meaning within them.

You know, I've been reading comics for quite a few years now, and since the early 00's, Riddler really hasn't been a villain per se. He's been more of an egotistical private eye trying to show up Batman at every turn. So there haven't really been a ton of riddles lying around. That seems to be more of a silver age and TV/Movie thing. You could check out Alex Ross' Justice. I seem to recall Riddler playing a role in that. I know for sure old man Riddler is in Kingdom Come a little bit.

More like the late 00's since Dini's run on 'tec began in 2006 and in the early 00's there were still stories like his appearance in Robin his appearances in Green Arrow or Brubaker's 'tec run or that dumb Shane McCarthy story from LOTDK where he was still a riddling villain.

Oh right. His appearance in Green Arrow. Where Ollie stops him using a cello. Wasn't he bald for some reason there?

Not bald. Metrosexual and vaguely hipsterish. He had a question mark tattooed on his neck.

There needs to be more fun mystery stories with the Riddler in the Bat comics

He doesn't seem to have gotten much love as a villain recently :csad:

Is he still running around with that question mark mohawk? :csad:

Hey we all make bad decisions. The Arkham inmates got drunk one night, Two-Face dared him to do it, Harvey tried to talk him out of it, and next thing you know....question mark mohawk.

It'd be awesome if that's actually how it went down and they put out a little backup story showing it. :D

The possibility of that having happened is literally the only redeeming quality that the mohawk can serve.

Interesting tid bit. Jim Carrey was going to shave a question mark mohawk into his head for Batman Forever but due to his pending court appearances he wasn't able to. That was 17 years ago.

Interesting tid bit. Jim Carrey was going to shave a question mark mohawk into his head for Batman Forever but due to his pending court appearances he wasn't able to. That was 17 years ago.
I'm sure it would've looked just as stupid then. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"