The Rings of Power Season 1 Episode 6 "Udûn"

Loved the last episode. Not just getting some cool action finally but seeing a bunch of characters coming together in one place after all this time of everyone being separate.

Adar has been a good villain and I’m glad he’s not totally aligned with Sauron. He had a point too as Galadriel started getting a bit hardcore lol. The exchange between them was great.

That makes me wonder though, was this show particularly aimed at book readers or people who have only seen the Jackson movies?
No need to wonder on that one lol. Quite clearly the latter.

That makes me wonder though, was this show particularly aimed at book readers or people who have only seen the Jackson movies?
It is trying to do both, but really it fails at both. The changes to the lore are too much; and the blatant ripoff or homages to the movies, however you see it, are poorly done.

Ah....I see. Yes, they had some similar characteristics as you mentioned. It seems somewhat like saying Gandalf had a Saruman side. He did and they shared some common characteristics, but were very, very different in terms of their personalities and devices. The same with Galadriel and Feanor.

I totally agree. I hope the show can depict the differences more and more, as it obviously has skewed hard towards the similarities in this initial season. I did really like the scene she had with Isildur in this episode, but it's like her head knowledge/wisdom hasn't entered her own heart enough.

I don't agree with the second part but that's just me
Homage and ripoff are the same word from different perspective. :funny: That was a good one.

In any case, my take is that the changes in lore are too much to consider it a story of the 2nd age. As far as the Jackson movies go, I kind of see them in the same vein as this series; except for the fact that the timelines and events are recognizable. I enjoyed them somewhat, didn't find "most" of the changes as distracting, but felt that most of the changes for the sake of "making a good movie" fell flat on their faces.

It's definitely aiming at a much broader audience than the book readers, especially those who've gone down the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and beyond rabbit hole. Despite the high number of (usually enraged) Tolkien experts that have crawled out of the woodwork in recent months, that's a pretty small group all told. The show is kind of operating in a grey area between an adaptation of the key 2nd age events and as a general prequel to LOTR, in my eyes at least. It's pulling quite a bit from source material, but in indirect ways. There's a lot of new stuff too, of course.

It's made a lot of choices that strike me as someone looking at LOTR and picking out interesting things to explore the origin of. So we're getting proto-Hobbits, Mordor becoming a wasteland, possibly a wizard's arrival and stuff like that. It's a pretty solid angle for general audiences. For the more informed and reverent? Less so. There's a huge risk of packing too many things into a compressed timeline, but I understand the temptation to do everything.

I totally agree. I hope the show can depict the differences more and more, as it obviously has skewed hard towards the similarities in this initial season. I did really like the scene she had with Isildur in this episode, but it's like her head knowledge/wisdom hasn't entered her own heart enough.
Speaking of Galadriel and Isildur, these are a couple of my main "disappointments". The depiction of both of them in that given time (whatever time they are talking about because it's not clear), is just off.

While there's no discussion of a youthful Isildur in the books, his depiction as some stupid child who needs constant discipline is far from the way the royal houses operated. Oh wait.....Elendil, Lord of the ancient house of Andunie is not royalty, but some ship captain who is able to muster 5 ships along with the daughter of the Kings of Numenor and go to ME in order to save a small township.

Yikes....my "distractions" are showing. LOL

They have been vague about Elendil's background for whatever reason but Pharazon did mention that Elendil is of a noble line.

I don't have a problem with the Isildur characterization. They had to pick an angle, this is the one they went with. I think it's fine and I like Baldry in the role. His character is getting better and better moments as the show goes on. Loved the scene he had with Elendil and Berek in this one.

I think one of the things that bothers me and the downgrading of those portrayed as noble in the books.

Hey, it's a story. Some will appreciate it and some won't.

It's definitely aiming at a much broader audience than the book readers, especially those who've gone down the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and beyond rabbit hole. Despite the high number of (usually enraged) Tolkien experts that have crawled out of the woodwork in recent months, that's a pretty small group all told. The show is kind of operating in a grey area between an adaptation of the key 2nd age events and as a general prequel to LOTR, in my eyes at least. It's pulling quite a bit from source material, but in indirect ways. There's a lot of new stuff too, of course.

It's made a lot of choices that strike me as someone looking at LOTR and picking out interesting things to explore the origin of. So we're getting proto-Hobbits, Mordor becoming a wasteland, possibly a wizard's arrival and stuff like that. It's a pretty solid angle for general audiences. For the more informed and reverent? Less so. There's a huge risk of packing too many things into a compressed timeline, but I understand the temptation to do everything.
This is why im so satisfied with it haha. I guess because I haven't read the books, I don't see it through the lens the tolkien readers have. So I do sympathize with those that can't get on board with the show for those reasons.

How did Theo know where the sword hilt was? I thought Arondir hid it secretly so that only he knew the location. Did I miss something?

I think since he used the sword before was connected with it and has a sense of where it is.

Yeah, they needed to make that connection a little clearer. The scene with Theo and Arondir after the battle kind of explains this but by then, you probably weren’t even thinking about how Theo knew where the sword was.

How did Theo know where the sword hilt was? I thought Arondir hid it secretly so that only he knew the location. Did I miss something?

Theo followed Arondir and saw the hiding place. In 1x05 “Partings”, Bronwyn and Arondir talked about hiding the sword (heh). When Arondir left, Theo looked up from his work in the background, and the camera’s focus shifted from Arondir to Theo.

They showed Theo watching Arondir as he walks off to hide the hilt. Maybe could have used another shot of him following after or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"