Sequels The Spider-Man 2099 thread

Reaction score
Not sure if this was discussed or not. What do people here think of this as a potential sequel? Do people want to see Miguel O'Hara on screen?

I don't see how it could work with the current movies but i'dlove to see a Spider-Man 2099 or Batman Beyond on the big-screen

I don't see how it could work with the current movies but i'dlove to see a Spider-Man 2099 or Batman Beyond on the big-screen

Well they could advertise it as an after-credits scene in a Spider-Man movie somewhere down the line? and perhaps even include a crucial plot device for this film among others. However it needs to stay grounded though.

The idea of this came to me after hearing about how all the studios are trying their hand at shared comic book universes. I was wondering how Sony could do it with Spider-Man and then I thought about different people who assumed the mantle, for example Ben Reilly or Miguel O'Hara. There's no reason why anybody can't have a try with these saga?

I made a thread on it here too:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=464905

I think keeping Spider-Man 2099 separate from the Spider-Man that most people are familiar with would be the best idea instead of tying the two universes so close together in a film (similar to Shattered Dimensions if that's what they had in mind). The only thing they'd need to is just refer back to the original Spider-Man and how Miguel had gotten similar powers based off of him.

Trying out these different sagas would be the best thing to do I think instead of just rebooting Peter Parker's Spidey again and again.

I made a thread on it here too:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=464905

I think keeping Spider-Man 2099 separate from the Spider-Man that most people are familiar with would be the best idea instead of tying the two universes so close together in a film (similar to Shattered Dimensions if that's what they had in mind). The only thing they'd need to is just refer back to the original Spider-Man and how Miguel had gotten similar powers based off of him.

Trying out these different sagas would be the best thing to do I think instead of just rebooting Peter Parker's Spidey again and again.

Ah damn, I didn't realize somebody already made a thread on this topic, I didn't see it due to the settings I have here.

I get that we should keep them separate, however to many people, especially general audiences Peter Parker is Spider-Man, nobody else. This is the same reason apparently they wouldn't do a Batman Beyond movie, as most apparently prefer Bruce Wayne as Batman. I guess the best thing to do with that is probably heavily market the character in other media as well as in comics.

What I've noticed with Spidey is that keeping things grounded tends to work best for him on-screen. That's probably one of the reasons Venom just didn't work as well for Spider-Man 3 and probably why Amazing Spider-Man succeeded. That is unless writers can in fact cleverly weave in things like the Clone Saga so we can bring in Ben Reilly or time travel so Peter Parker can in fact meet Miguel O'Hara.

Disney was the first to merge different solo heroes into a team-up.
Fox are the first to utilise time travel and young/old versions of characters, and show adapt teams rather than a team-up.
Sony could be the first to merge alternate universe versions of characters.

Imagine Miguel being thrown into the ASM universe and meeting Peter Parker. That would be awesome.

Disney was the first to merge different solo heroes into a team-up.
Fox are the first to utilise time travel and young/old versions of characters, and show adapt teams rather than a team-up.
Sony could be the first to merge alternate universe versions of characters.

Imagine Miguel being thrown into the ASM universe and meeting Peter Parker. That would be awesome.
It would be awesome but how would they do it without making it too outrageous?

I haven't played the Edge of Time/Shattered Dimensions games to know whether a similar plot to the games in that would work if you want Miguel and Peter in the same film.

I'd like to preferably see Spider-Man 2099 teased as an after-credits scene at the end of Webb's final TASM film. They could do something like this:

The camera pans slowly from a dark, moon-lit sky (with flying cars seen very briefly and subtly in the background as to not give it all away at first) and then down into Miguel in a dark apartment, sitting on a chair and watching TV though we can't see what he's watching but hear of news reports (which happen to be the very first news reports of Spider-Man as he starts his superhero career though we don't hear Spider-Man's name in the news reports so nothing is given away just yet). We see Miguel holding a drink with one hand and then a talon slowly (and quite graphically to disgust viewers) emerge from a finger on his other hand as he circles the rim of his glass. Lyla interrupts Miguel (we then get a dose of Miguel's sarcasm in some short dialogue) and tells him that so and so is going on. Miguel suits up and we see a brief glimpse of him in the 2099 suit.

So, it can end with him either on top of a building, looking towards Alchemax or something, or it can just end at the talon bit so that they aren't giving away everything straight away.

I think if there is a Peter/Miguel cross-over then I'd rather it be in a sequel to 2099 rather than straight away because 2099 is good enough to be its own film and different too, rather than seeing the Peter Parker Spider-Man that everyone is so used to.

I think we'd get a Miles Morales movie before Spider-Man 2099 ever hits the big screen. It would just be way too hard to sell IMO. But then again the whole idea of a Spider-Man swinging around a futuristic NYC could be pretty cool if done right, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
I think we'd get a Miles Morales movie before Spider-Man 2099 ever hits the big screen. It would just be way too hard to sell IMO. But then again the whole idea of a Spider-Man swinging around a futuristic NYC could be pretty cool if done right, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

I hope Peter's not going to die anytime soon! :wow::shock

I wouldn't worry about that. Sony knows that the GA identifies with Peter Parker most, so they would be hesitant to kill him off anytime soon.

Can't see the Spider-Man 2099 story working for the general audience. Peter Parker is pretty much a household name, Miguel O'Hara is not.

The only thing that might appeal to the GA is the idea of a futuristic sci-fi Spider-Man. Especially now with the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies, the upcoming Star Wars, and Guardians of the Galaxy, this whole futuristic/science-fiction feel in movies might become the new trend that Spider-Man could adopt.

The only thing that might appeal to the GA is the idea of a futuristic sci-fi Spider-Man. Especially now with the JJ Abrams Star Trek movies, the upcoming Star Wars, and Guardians of the Galaxy, this whole futuristic/science-fiction feel in movies might become the new trend that Spider-Man could adopt.

That's all very true. If they could make the film pretty soon, maybe at the end of this decade, I'd love to see Jesse Eisenberg play Miguel unless he ends up being too old for the role at the time.

I would rather see someone who really looks like half mexican. And imo Einsenberg looks to kind to play Miguel. That's not to say Miguel is a bad person, but he has a strong personality.

I have expressed my desire to see a 2099 type film. With a new Spider-Man (preferrably Miguel O'Hara)

However, 2099 is the wrong setting/title for the film. If we are supposed to believe its super futuristic with flying cars, etc, it would have to be 2199 or further. Just my two-cents.

I have expressed my desire to see a 2099 type film. With a new Spider-Man (preferrably Miguel O'Hara)

However, 2099 is the wrong setting/title for the film. If we are supposed to believe its super futuristic with flying cars, etc, it would have to be 2199 or further. Just my two-cents.
Nah, 2099 is a good time
Remember Back to the Future 2? And the fictional future it had for two years from now?

I can understand that, but I don't think it would bother me that much.

Eventually it would be cool. My guess is that Sony is hell bent on trying to force a Venom franchise at the earliest convenience, however.

Nah, 2099 is a good time
Remember Back to the Future 2? And the fictional future it had for two years from now?

I do remember. All too vividly. Its a problem with BttF IMO. Hard dates in movies set in the not too distant ffuture slightly damage the timelessness of the film. The sentiment carries over to The Terminator series and even Star Trek. They should just use vague time frames IMO. Titling it Spider-Man Unlimited negates any issue in this area.

Léo Ho Tep;27038291 said:
I would rather see someone who really looks like half mexican. And imo Einsenberg looks to kind to play Miguel. That's not to say Miguel is a bad person, but he has a strong personality.

I know what you mean about the strong personality thing but I really think Eisenberg could pull it off:
http://www.blogcdn.com/news.moviefone.com/media/2013/06/r-jesse-eisenberg-now-you-see-me-large570.jpg

If you've seen The Social Network then you'll know that Zuckerburg in the film has a similar sort of "cocky" personality like Miguel's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"