The Taskmaster thread

Discussion in 'Black Widow' started by Speed Force, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Web-Head Oh boy yeah

This is where I'm at. I do think a better villain/version of Taskmaster could have made this movie even better but I knew going in that 1) Taskmaster wasn't getting praise and 2) the movie was more about Nat, her story and her family.

My biggest issue is they really could have used any character/another Widow/etc for the villain.

Sounds like things got changed pretty late with the script though

Limonade likes this.
  2. Mysteryman Registered

When you really think about it,
    with the obvious exceptions of Loki & Thanos, most MCU villains are somewhat incidental.
    Major Kudos for pulling off Thanos the way that they did, though.
    He was practically the protagonist of Infinity War.

TheVileOne likes this.
  3. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

Well, that's unfortunate. Thankfully, it's also irrelevant to Marvel doing all of the super interesting and comic accurate stuff I mentioned that is all possible and IMO likely wherever they pop up next.

WatchProtect likes this.
  4. BaelaTargaryen Registered

Eric Pearson on 'Black Widow' and Filling the Gaps in the MCU - Exclusive Interview | DiscussingFilm

5. NHawk19 insert witty comment

Watched it again. Thought he said he had to re-build her and it was the chip for the mimicry. It's her physicality, (potentially enhanced as well), the helmet feeds her data, but the chip in her neck had something to do with her being able to move.

6. WeaponXCII Registered

I agree- that would be a rather pedestrian change to the story. It would have certainly pleased some fans more, but it would make Marvel's "villain problem" all the more notable.

I really enjoyed the story that we got, so I'm not sure that this was a risk I would take, if I was in charge. If anyone could pull it off, though, it would be Marvel.

That might have been cool to give Ross more to do. Again, though, I think the "hired gun" approach is all too familiar. And it just doesn't have the emotional impact of the film that we got, which I loved. Something about this one just hit differently than all the others.

Mr. Peanut and Web-Head like this.
  7. WeaponXCII Registered

That's been the thought that I keep coming back to whenever I see this idea. I could be wrong, but after being caught in an explosion that was meant to assassinate her father, becoming disfigured and sustaining brain damage from it, only to then be subjected to experiments by her own supposedly deceased father, along with chemical conditioning, so that he could turn her into his own personal assassin, stripped of any autonomy, oh- and, not to mention all the other horrific forms of abuse her father (and possibly others) subjected her to... she might just want to put this part of her life behind her.

8. Mysteryman Registered

Once again, I appreciate everyone using spoiler tags.

9. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

Yeah, I have to say I agree. Even Natasha herself would've been a forgettable and by now unrecognizable character going by her first comics appearance.
    If the character had died at the end of the movie it would've been a different story and I would have disliked it. But she survived and this is the MCU we're talking about. She'll be back and she can be almost completely like the comics version eventually.

Also just wanted to put this here for no particular reason lol.
    [​IMG]

#134 SirStrangefolk, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    WatchProtect likes this.
  10. TheVileOne Registered

Yeah, I don't see that happening, and I wouldn't accept that version either.

11. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

Wasn't Tony Masters basically a pawn for SHIELD for a while due to his memory loss, immediately after first taking the serum? That seems to be basically the phase of his life this movie covered.

#137 SirStrangefolk, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  12. TheVileOne Registered

To take this character and get Taskmaster to the point where it's a more faithful character looks virtually impossible to me and would make no sense.

It's sort of like with Hawkeye they went with the most boring and least exciting take on the character from the outset.

#138 TheVileOne, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  13. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

To me it feels more like skipping CA:TFA, instead starting out initially with CA:TWS Bucky and then gradually moving towards TFatWS Bucky, except with a more Tony Masters personality by the end. Doesn't seem impossible to me in the slightest. But we'll see I guess.

14. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

I agree they could have used anyone other than Taskmaster for this. However, if Taskmaster returns and Olga Kurylenko is allowed to have a personality (angry, insane, sarcastic, cocky) I think this could actually be a really cool origin for her, giving her legitimate depth. And the added bonus that they dont have to use the name Anthony/Tony (avoiding the Iron Man similarity).

Web-Head likes this.
  15. TheVileOne Registered

Once again, turning this character into Taskmaster after where she is left makes no sense.

I don't get that at all.

16. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Seems like a distinct lack of imagination on your part. Now, I'm no Taskmaster expert, but what is it exactly you dont think Antonia's story can emulate? Instead of Ex-shield agent, its ex-black widow assassin. As I understand it the character's memory loss is a recurring theme. Seems reasonable to associate that with Antonia.

All I can tell is that this character had a ****ed up origin, a lot of good reasons to hate the world, and no direct connection to any support network after her father and his organization were exploded.

that and like 8 years will have passed since we last saw her. Olga Kurylenko is an actress with a very decent range and a wonderful personality. I would love to see it come to pass that she becomes a much more outspoken, sardonic (if still bitter and insane) villain for Yelena or whomever to fight.

Actually it sounds like a badass origin for a not-particularly well fleshed out B-tier character in the comics.

So i ask again, what is it that you think makes no sense?

In a universe with a floating russian fortress in the sky for brainwashing and training teenage girls into assassins, what is it that keeps you from believing that one of those assassins can have a different personality when the brainwashing is over? I'm legit trying to understand.

17. TheVileOne Registered

I'd say there are a lot of inaccuracies there.

18. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

riveting response.

i stand by the "lack of imagination" comment.

19. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

Like what? You keep saying "it makes no sense" or "it's inaccurate" but refuse to elaborate on anything others state or propose.

Also I've been talking about Taskmaster in other places than this forum and I swear I'm going to SCREAM if I see one more person say she got her mimicry from the helmet or the chip. Dreykov says "When your bomb exploded, it nearly killed my Antonia. I had to put a chip in the back of her neck". Then he says "She watches everything and she can do it. She is a perfect mimic". There is absolutely nothing here that says that the chip causes the mimicry and it seems like a disconnected statement. He says "she can do it" not "the chip makes her do it" or "I made her do it" or whatever. And the helmet is clearly just a tool, like Hawkeye using a laser sight on his bow in some movies.

Web-Head likes this.
  20. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

So, I actually agree with you that its her power, not the helmet or the chip. But I gotta say, it wouldnt be too much of a stretch if Marvel decides to go the route of to say it was the tech. I honestly hate that, it would be so boring to say "oh its just the tech that gives her that power" then anyone can be Taskmaster. *yawn*

But anyway, much more intriguing to have her have the mimicry power, her father use her as a weapon, and then when no longer brainwashed, to have her take out her emotions on well... whatever she feels like. She's a weapon with an incredibly ****ed up childhood. Lets see it happen Marvel.

Iceman likes this.
  21. Web-Head Oh boy yeah

I think she could do it but the tech added to that and helped her out

Mysteryman likes this.
  22. Mysteryman Registered

That was my take as well.

23. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I was hoping Taskmaster wouldn’t be fully resolved within this film so we could get to see the villain reappear.

24. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

since they did a fake out/ reveal of who this taskmaster was, do you think it leaves room for a more comic accurate (Tony Masters) version to still appear somewhere else? or...?