The True Tony Stark

Discussion in 'Iron Man 3' started by MyNameisAsh525, Aug 16, 2012.

1. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I enjoy RDJ as Tony Stark. I do not want Marvel to start grittying up their characters for the sake of doing so: leave them as they are. I do not want Tony Stark via Frank Miller.

Wait...what?

2. kewlmatto

kewlmatto Well-Known Member

I think RDJ was great as Tony in the first film and The Avengers.

In Iron Man 2 he just became too unlikeable. Almost everything was a crass joke and he became more that just egotistical, he became a fairly terrible character.

I know that was intended as a part of the story, but they pushed it too far. I really disliked Stark for the entirety of the film. He was churlish and childish rather than just sarcastic.

Avengers fixed this a bit, I hope Iron Man 3 gives the character a bit more balance.

3. ironmaidenrules

ironmaidenrules Well-Known Member

don't worry.no spoilers. Just stuff I think will happen or will be cool to see.

4. spideymouse

spideymouse Well-Known Member

Well, Ben Kingsley playing Mandarin was confirmed. When Iron Man meets his match in the Mandarin, when he is pushed to his limits, he'll be certainly forced to take things incredibly seriously (and then kick some serious ass). I can't wait. =)

They say your archnemesis helps to define you. I'm eager to see how the Mandarin can help bring out "the True Tony Stark."

5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt STEVE HOLT!

I know i'll be in the minority here, but i'm becoming slightly annoyed by RDJ's schtick

6. ThePowerCosmic

7. Doc Samson

Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

It's strange, when I first heard RDJ was playing Stark, I knew it was going to work. At the same time, I knew it would be how it is, with RDJ basically playing himself instead of Stark from the comics.

I think this goes pretty much for the whole MCU, but the majority of the portrayals are a bit lighter than the comics I read growing up. Stark in particular was a jerk, and not in the RDJ idiosyncratic, cool-nerd vibe, he was just a complete a**hole.

However for the movies, I think Robert injecting a lot of his actual personality (the staccato way he speaks for instance) makes the character pop a little more on screen then he might otherwise. I knew for sure the inherent "coolness" of the suit would draw people to the franchise, if they handled it right. But getting RDJ and allowing him to, essentially, be him, has drawn the public to the man outside of the armor. And making that guy interesting (or any civilian alter-ego for that matter) trumps just about anything else in making a superhero movie work.

8. Gold Samurai

Gold Samurai Well-Known Member

So I thought i'd bump this thread because of the new trailer.

There's certainly alot to talk about with Tony being shaken by the events in New York in "The Avengers"

He was nearly killed a few times in "The Avengers"

-Thrown out of a window
    -Going into space on low power
    -Nearly chopped up by the helicarriers turbine blades

He was so sure that he wouldn't make it back from delivering the nuke he tried to call Pepper.

Plus the overwhelming invasion of New York. Things like that would shake anyone. Stark probably hide it from the public.

9. 747

747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

For all the hate around SHH when it comes to changing source-material or not being faithful enough, this one sure often gets a freebie.

As a more open-mind I don't care though and I think movie universe Stark is more interesting than his comic counterpart in many ways. I'm all for trying new things, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But change per se isn't an enemy.

10. Polux

Polux Just some nut

Completely agree; before the movies, I had no interest in Stark, he was just an unlikeable *****e IMHO; RDJ turned him into my second favorite hero.

Polux

11. Sun_Down

Sun_Down Groovy

Very good point. RDJ as Stark is entertaining and compelling. No reason to "serious him up" just to jibe with one interpretation of the character.

12. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

He might become as serious as he was post-Civil War.

13. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

RDJ, definitely put himself in the roll, but Tony was never deadbeat serious. He was above all things a playboy. You can get a bit of a sense of this from the first Ultimate Aliance game, from some of his one liners.

I also think it's incorrect to say that RDJ is a total ham. He does have some very serious moments that are straight out of the comics. The cave scene is the best example of this.

I do like what RDJ has done with the character, because someone who is that smart would have trouble relating to people. I like how Whedon made a connection between Banner and Tony because they are both geniouses, and how he made part of Steve and Tony's personality struggle that Tony can't relate to people who aren't as smart as he is, with the exception of Pepper.

14. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Part of the problem is some of the idiot writers for Marvel used Tony as a pawn to get a political point across.

Yes I'm looking at you Mark Millar!