Iron Man Billy Bob Thornton Reveals He Almost Played ‘Iron Man’ Tony Stark

FlawlessVictory

Superhero
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Billy Bob Thornton Reveals He Almost Played ‘Iron Man’ Tony Stark

Published by Rick Marshall on Friday, January 23, 2009 at 11:28 am.

When it comes to casting movies based on the comics world, it’s always interesting to play the “What If?” game when we hear about actors who were almost chosen to play certain roles. For example, what if Harrison Ford had indeed become Superman? What if Sam Rockwell had landed the Tony Stark gig in the first “Iron Man” (instead of playing the villainous Justin Hammer in “Iron Man 2″)? What if Mark Ruffalo was offered the part of Harvey Dent in “The Dark Knight“?

Now you can add this one to the list of almost-casting points to ponder, folks: What if Billy Bob Thornton played Tony Stark?

“They talked to me about Iron Man for just a minute — just for a minute,” Thornton told MTV News.

The actor who was also almost cast as the Green Goblin in the first “Spider-Man” movie said “Iron Man” filmmakers talked to him about the role — and it didn’t seem all that unrealistic, as he explained.

“Iron Man wasn’t a superhero type, really,” said Thornton of the superhero’s very human alter ego. “[When he was] inside the suit he was.”

While Thornton acknowledged Robert Downey Jr.’s amazing performance as Stark, he said he would’ve been more than capable of suiting up in ol’ shellhead’s armor, too.

“I could’ve done it,” said Thornton.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/01/2...laying-iron-man-tony-stark-i-couldve-done-it/

White trash in a high tech suit running a billion dollar company?

Blasphemy.

Interesting, I would've been annoyed had it happened, but I'd also be curious.

Too old.

He probably isnt too much older than RDJ, but he just looks too old.

Hahahahaha! Anybody else see him insisting they put dungarees and a trucker cap on the armour?

Even if he was cast as stark, couldnt be as bad as Batman and robin

good actor but im glad they did downey cuz BBT is waaaaaaaaaaay wrong for the role though i thinkhes a great actor :)

*whew* I guess we all dodged a repulsor blast on that one, huh?

Omfg hahah lol, that would've sucked! I don't hate BBT or anything, but him as Iron-Man?!? Heck NO!!!!!

I think BBT would be better as Obadiah Stane than as Tony Stark.

i would have lost all faith in Marvel and burned my comic book collection if this happened...thank god

Well, if this piece of information is true, then I'd say that we fans totally dodged a bullet. :D

WOW! This would of been...a strange casting decision to say the least.

He would've made a decent Reed Richards judging from his performance in Armageddon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"