The Urban, Hip-Hop, and Blaxploitation Thread.

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

In Jersey City, an African American hit man follows "Hagakure: The Way of the Samurai." He lives alone, in simplicity with homing pigeons for company, calling himself Ghost Dog. His master, who saved his life eight years ago, is part of the local mob. When the boss' daughter witnesses one of Ghost Dog's hits, he becomes expendable. The first victims are his birds, and in response, Ghost Dog goes right at his attackers but does not want to harm his master or the young woman. On occasion, he talks with his best friend, a French-speaking Haitian who sells ice cream in the park, and with a child with whom he discusses books. Can he stay true to his code? And if he does, what is his fate?

ghost_dog.jpg

ghostdog4b.jpg

ghost_dog_04.jpg

Forest Whitaker, Wu-Tang/RZA soundtrack, italian mobsters and samurai.

:up:

^^^Love that film

lol@ the old dude having a heart attack and dying as soon as Ghost Dog hits the mansion

4xvoimg.jpg

Black Snake is a 1973 film directed by Russ Meyer. It was Meyer's first film after returning to self financed projects following the end of his deal at 20th Century Fox. Blacksnake, shot in Panavision was Meyer's attempt at making a Blaxploitation Film and was the first film ever shot on location in Barbados.
A period piece about colonial slavery , the plot centered around a cruel slave owning plantation mistress named Lady Susan and her domination of both the black and white men on the island.
Anoushka Hempel, a New Zealand actress, was cast last minute when an Anita Ekberg look-a-like fell ill. Russ Meyer would continue to complain about her casting for years to come. Anoushka Hempel, now Lady Weinberg, would buy up the British rights to the film so it could never be shown in the UK.
Blacksnake features some of Meyer's best photography and reveals that he could have been a major Hollywood cinematographer if he had pursued that avenue. David Prowse who appeared in Star Wars co-stars.

What does everyone think of Fresh (1994) with Sean Nelson, Samuel L. Joackson, Giancarlo Esposito, and N'Bushe Wright.

What does everyone think of Fresh (1994) with Sean Nelson, Samuel L. Joackson, Giancarlo Esposito, and N'Bushe Wright.

Not a bad film...

Fresh (1994) is the debut film of writer and director Boaz Yakin.
Set in the violent and gang-ridden projects of New York City, Fresh tells the story of Michael, nicknamed Fresh (portrayed by Sean Nelson), a 12-year old kid running drugs for the local drug lords (notably, Giancarlo Esposito). Inspired by the chess lessons of his father, an alcoholic speed-chess master (Samuel L. Jackson), Fresh devises and executes a brilliant plan to extricate himself and his drug addicted sister (N'Bushe Wright) from their hopeless lives (during the film, where Fresh was threatened to be sent to a group home after his best friend is murdered, is where he began to execute his plan).
Marketed at the time as a hip hop 'hood film, Fresh went relatively unnoticed by the public, but won critical acclaim for being an intense and poetic drama working on different levels. It is both an emotional coming of age story and a realistic portrayal of the dangerous life in the projects - while at the same time the whole film can be seen as a metaphorical chess game. Its final scene has been called one of the most devastating of the decade.[original research?]
Fresh was produced by Lawrence Bender (seen in a cameo appearance), who at the time was riding the wave of success of Reservoir Dogs. It was scored by ex-member of The Police Stewart Copeland.

672yc90.jpg

paid-in-full-poster-0.jpg

Anyone? Some pretty good acting in this flick.

Wesley is hiding in Africa. Didn't want to pay those damn taxes.

He back now dude. He made a deal with the IRS. Just had a baby too.

immortal technique "freedom of speech"

K-os "crucial"

deltron 3030 "things you can do"

saul williams "list of demands"

dead prez "psychology"

oops.

sorry about the music clips. I didn't notice this was in the movie forum.

Here's the intro from Belly. :yay:

^I know I wasn't the only one who used to confuse him and Omar Epps. So ashamed.

Chris Rock: Second Best Crackhead EVER on film!! (Nothing beat's Samuel L. Jackson as Gator in Jungle Fever!)

Nino Brown: Sit your five-dollar ass down before I make change.

Scotty Appleton: I wanna shoot you so bad, my ****'s hard!

Nino Brown: Money talks, and ******** runs a marathon. So, see ya and I wouldn't want to be ya.

Pooky: They got that **** hooked up like Mission Impossible, man!

[last lines]
Old Man: Idolater! Your soul is required in hell!
[Shoots Nino]

Nick Peretti: Drugs ain't a black thing, or a white thing. It's a death thing. Death don't give a **** about color.

Pooky: [sobbing] I tried to kick... but that **** just be callin' me man, it be callin' me, man... I just got to go to it!

Pooky: Scottie, help me - I'm gonna die!
[peers into camera in despair]

Nino Brown: You gotta rob to get rich in the Reagan era.

[about a room used for freebasing]
Pooky: They call it the Enterprise Room, man, because it's for people who wanna be beamed up to Scotty.

Nick Peretti: Is this one of those black things?

Nino Brown: I'm not guilty. *You're* the one that's guilty. The lawmakers, the politicians, the Columbian drug lords, all you who lobby against making drugs legal. Just like you did with alcohol during the prohibition. You're the one who's guilty. I mean, c'mon, let's kick the ballistics here: Ain't no Uzi's made in Harlem. Not one of us in here owns a poppy field. This thing is bigger than Nino Brown. This is big business. This is the American way.

Nino Brown: [Referring to his girlfriend] Cancel that *****, I'll buy another one.

Scotty Appleton: [reading Pooky his rights] Anything you say can and will be used against you in a *********' court of law!

Scotty Appleton: What? All he gets is a year? No, this ain't happening. I should have killed you myself, *****.
Nino Brown: Well, that's the difference between you and me. Don't get mad, Tito. It's the *law*. Sucks, huh? Well, maybe when this is over with, you can come and work for me.

Nino Brown was bad ass in that film.

I can't stand Mekhi most of the time, just never comes off believable for me. His acting is flat imo.

Have you seen him in this though? He's much more impressive than the crap on ER.

Chris Rock: Second Best Crackhead EVER on film!! (Nothing beat's Samuel L. Jackson as Gator in Jungle Fever!)

chris rock did some actual good acting in that film

There are some great black actors around but they are to continuilly cast in the same roles in the same movies. I swear Morris Chesnut and Gabrielle Union was in every black romantic comedy from 1995-2000.

There are some great black actors around but they are to continuilly cast in the same roles in the same movies. I swear Morris Chesnut and Gabrielle Union was in every black romantic comedy from 1995-2000.

Pretty much:o

hip hop and violent gang related movies just makes some people sound ignorant, and other people hate filled.

Anyone ever notice that most movies about black folks who are successful and have good jobs are usually comedies?

And what does everyone think of Barbershop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"