DC Films The Watchmen Movie

Jackie Earle Haley is amazing in this, his absolutist black and white view of the world contradicts so well with Dr Manhattan's pragmatic approach to Veidt's plan. Even though both know the act was evil Manhattan can make peace with it because in his mind its for the greater good. Rorschach can't see a greater good he only see's a great evil that has been committed that will go unpunished if he doesn't intervene.

Plus how many incredible quotes did he give us alone

I recently read the comic, Snyder did a pretty great job adapting the book in some aspects, but kinda missed the mark on some. I guess the unnecessary gore/violence in the film kinda bothered me. (Rorschach's first kill was nowhere near that brutal. And the guy who got his hands cut off in prison, nowhere near that violent in the comic.)

I would have been okay with the original "Alien Squid" ending over having Dr. Manhattan's energy destroying NYC. It just made sense. How could you bring all nations together while they're fighting each other in wars? Huge alien squid! Lol. Having all nations halt the wars and have world peace for a minute was a nice ending. Then add the "Nothing ever ends" line...

Snyder kinda glamorizes the characters a bit much. Most of these characters are heavily flawed, with some having very few redeeming qualities. I get it, it's a film, so changes are expected. Rorschach is definitely the most fleshed out character in the comic, and I feel they did a good job with him in the movies too.

A lot of positives though. The visuals in this are so amazing. Great casting choice in every role too. And it's still a good adaptation for the most part, just wish some things were slightly different. I did not enjoy the Watchmen tv series. I felt that was a huge letdown.

I'm curious how that David Hayter Watchmen film would have turned out. I believe he was even keeping in touch with Alan Moore and getting advice from him. Kinda wild to think about that!

Last edited:
I love the film though of course it missed some of what made the comic better (mostly the sense, widespread, of that nuclear war really was imminent and becoming more so and the depiction of conclusion Veidt being pretty underwhelming) and some parts just felt really not working as well in the new format (mostly the early on flashback-ing again and again and again).

What's confusing about it?

What's amazing is that Alan Moore raved about it after he finally caved in and watched it.

Not to quote a nearly decade old post... but is this really true? I don't recall ever seeing an article about him watching it. Unless this is sarcasm lol!

I think its sarcasm cause Alan Moore has always been pretty outspoken in his hatred for all superhero related stuff.

WHY ALAN MOORE HATES WATCHMEN : Watchmen (reddit.com)

Watchmen Creator Alan Moore Hates Superhero Movies: ‘Blighted Cinema’ | IndieWire

I actually found that reddit post shortly after asking the question haha! And yeah, I highly doubt he will ever watch the film... and if he does, he seems like he would most likely never admit he did. He did give high praise to David Hayter's script at one time (I think Snyder reworked that script and used it.) I don't even think Gibbons and Moore are friends anymore. Last I saw. They had a fallout. Maybe they made up by now lol. I've kinda fell down the Watchmen/Alan Moore/DC drama. So any tidbits of interesting info you guys have, let me know

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"