Thor: Ragnarok Box Office Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.
5.8M for Friday and apparently 9.6M for Saturday.

$21.79M for the weekend, 61.8% drop. Nicely in the range I was expecting. Should hold strong next weekend with Thanksgiving coming up.

BoxOfficeReport.com said:
Thor: Ragnarok grossed an estimated $21.79M this weekend. 17-Day total stands at $247.38M.
https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/932271000569331712

BoxOfficeReport.com said:
Thor: Ragnarok grossed an estimated $24.1M internationally this weekend. International total stands at $490.7M, global total stands at $738.1M.
https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/932271443013877760

So, estimated totals after Sunday:
Domestic: $247,382,170
+ Foreign: $490,700,000
= Worldwide: $738,082,170

Last edited:
$738M already? Sweeeet. :woot: Next stop, $800M! I wonder how long that will take, any guesses?

So it drops at the same weekly rate as GOTG2. I think it will reach 800M during the fourth week.

Hope DC and Marvel work together so as to not cannibalize each other. TR would have no problem grossing 900M WW if JL wasn't released 2 weeks later.

Similarly JL would have deffo gotten more than $100M OW for sure (or even 120M ) if there were no superhero movies for a month or so.

We literally go months without a SH movie and we get 2 within weeks.

ANyway back to TR.....$738M WW (490M OS). Thats good. I do think TR will still make loads of $$$ until Starwars 8 hits.

Nice. Thor's third Saturday was 30% of Justice League's 1st Saturday.

Think about that. I wonder who is laughing about a Thor movie now?

How many million for the 4 day weekend coming up?

Anyway back to TR.....$738M WW (490M OS). Thats good. I do think TR will still make loads of $$$ until Starwars 8 hits.

And even after SW, TR can pad it's total a little till January 2nd or 3rd when school comes back in session. The theaters have to keep something on the screen and besides SW there's not much action material the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Domestic = 247M
Foreign = 491M
Worldwide = 738M

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=marvel2017.htm

It actually surpassed my expectations. I thought it would be around 730 but it even went above that. Very nice. 800M here we come.

tumblr_owzgnoC0xN1tctq75o1_r3_1280.gif

Here's all the movies opening between now and the end of the year. A lot of Oscar bait, but not a ton of action/sci-fi.

Nov. 22
Coco

Darkest Hour

Just Getting Started

The Man Who Invented Christmas

Nov. 24
Call Me by Your Name

Dec. 1
The Disaster Artist

Padmavati

The Shape of Water

Wonder Wheel

Dec. 8
I, Tonya

Dec.15
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Ferdinand

Dec. 20
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

The Greatest Showman

Dec. 22
All the Money in the World

Pitch Perfect 3

Downsizing

Father Figures

Hostiles

The Post

Bright

Dec.
Molly's Game

Phantom Thread

Last edited:
Nice. Thor's third Saturday was 30% of Justice League's 1st Saturday.

Think about that. I wonder who is laughing about a Thor movie now?

How many million for the 4 day weekend coming up?
$19-20M for the 4-day weekend(Thursday-Sunday) is what I'm expecting.

MCU International Box Office

1. Avengers: AoU - 946M
2. Avengers - 895M
3. Iron Man 3 - 805M
4. CA: Civil War - 745M
5. Spider Man: HC - 545M
6. Thor Ragnarok - 491M *

$19-20M for the 4-day weekend(Thursday-Sunday) is what I'm expecting.

Wow, so over $270 by it's 4th weekend!

MCU International Box Office

1. Avengers: AoU - 946M
2. Avengers - 895M
3. Iron Man 3 - 805M
4. CA: Civil War - 745M
5. Spider Man: HC - 545M
6. Thor Ragnarok - 491M *

MCU is catching on overseas.

One Phase 1
Two Phase 2 and
Three Phase 3 -- so far in the top 6

Deadline
‘Thor’ Rocks To $738M Global – International Box Office

As for the other heroes showing off their superpowers globally, Disney/Marvel’s Thor: Ragnarok added $24.1M internationally in this 4th weekend. That Hulks up the overseas cume to $490.7M and has bested both Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2 and Doctor Strange. It’s tracking above those pics by 11% and 17%, respectively and is the No. 6 Marvel Cinematic Universe movie ever at the international box office. With $738.1M worldwide, it’s the 9th MCU title to cross $700M.
http://deadline.com/2017/11/justice-league-thor-ragnarok-coco-paddington-weekend-results-international-box-office-1202211796/

Maybe Thor is the strongest avenger he beat the entire justice league. But seriously ive seen it 4times already moviepass ftw!

If you would've told me 2 years ago that Thor 3 would out perform Justice League at the box office, I would've laughed in your face.

Wow, so over $270 by it's 4th weekend!

MCU is catching on overseas.

One Phase 1
Two Phase 2 and
Three Phase 3 -- so far in the top 6
And ignoring event films with Avengers all over the place the top 2 solos are this year. It should keep growing as the MCU popularity in different territories catches on and with inflation. The exchange rate hopefully wouldn’t get too much worse either and may even recover in future.

Edit: whoops that came out wrong on mobile and I missed IM3.

If you would've told me 2 years ago that Thor 3 would out perform Justice League at the box office, I would've laughed in your face.
There exists a genuine possibility that Thor 2 will out perform Justice League at the box office

Adjusted for inflation TDW is $225m
Surely JL will make $225.
I'm thinking JL should do $240

Adjusted for inflation TDW is $225m
Surely JL will make $225.
I'm thinking JL should do $240
I was talking world-wide; but, as Tacit Ronin pointed out, if it performs like BVS, $225 is by no means assured.

Same. Except I'd change the word "possible" into "guaranteed".

Yes. $900M is what's still 'possible'. I'm so hoping for at least $906M so the whole Thor franchise can join both Iron Man and Cap in surpassing the $2b mark in 3 films.

I was talking world-wide; but, as Tacit Ronin pointed out, if it performs like BVS, $225 is by no means assured.

If it performs like BvS then $200M DOM isn't going to happen. Isn't BvS one of the few major blockbusters that failed even to get a 2X multiplier off it's opening weekend?

Edit: Yep, missed that threshold by just $2M.

Praying that Ragnarok has strong enough legs to eventually stumble past the $900M mark, that would be so damn awesome. With JL failing as spectacularly as it has, I guess it's more possible now than it would have been if JL was a success...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"