Tom Hiddleston To Play Country Icon Hank Williams

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/tom...try-icon-hank-williams-and-will-sing-as-well/
Tom Hiddleston To Play Country Icon Hank Williams, And Will Sing As Well
By MIKE FLEMING JR

EXCLUSIVE: The Avengers star Tom Hiddleston will play Country & Western legend Hank Williams in I Saw The Light, a film that Marc Abraham will direct and which has come together as a co-production between RatPac Entertainment, Bron Studios, and Creative Wealth Media Finance, all of which will fund the film. Abraham wrote teh script based on the Colin Escott biography of Williams and Aaron L. Gilbert will produce with Brett Ratner, G. Marq Rosell and Abraham. Ratner’s partner, James Packer, will be exec producer.

Production will begin in Louisiana in October, and Hiddleston will sing such Williams’ standards as Your Cheatin’ Heart, I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry and Hey Good Lookin’, after the film’s backers made a deal with Sony ATV to secure rights to the Williams music catalog. The film will tell the story of Williams’s meteoric rise to fame, and the price that fame took on his personal life. He died at age 29 of heart failure.

The British actor has starred in projects as diverse as Midnight in Paris and War Horse, but his starmaking role has been playing Thor’s evil adopted brother Loki in two Thor films and The Avengers. He’s currently shooting the Guillermo del Toro-directed Crimson Peak for Legendary Pictures and Universal. Hamilton Hodell, WME, Authentic and Peikoff Mahan Law Office rep him.

Abraham, a producer and principal in the production companies Beacon Communications and Strike Entertainment, made his directorial debut on the Greg Kinnear-starrer Flash Of Genius, and he has produced such films as Spy Game, Dawn Of The Dead and Children Of Men. When Abraham and partner Eric Newman dissolved their partnership, Abraham said that directing the Hank Williams film was his top priority. Now, he’s getting to do it in high style.
Didn't see that coming...

This is the most unexpected casting since Tom Hardy as Elton John.

That's....weird. But if Hardy can do Elton John and Hirsch can do Belushi, the **** do I know?

Well, looks-wise, I don't think this is very far off at all. But otherwise...

In my opinion, he looks more like Hank Williams than Joaquin Phoenix looked like Johnny Cash.

Well this is unexpected...

Tom has a pretty decent singing voice:

[YT]Qu5n-6uPiZI[/YT]

but I would've never thought he'd play a country singer...

About time he plays an American. It was only a matter of time.

But Hank Williams?

Hmmm...while I think that he'll do an admirable job as Hank Williams Sr. I think there is one music icon he was born to play. I've been watching a lot of stuff about Pink Floyd and I firmly believe he should be playing Syd Barrett. I think that's where the Oscar worthy material is, not to slight Hank Williams and his legacy. But Syd Barrett had so much going for him until over consumption of drugs, specifically LSD, wrecked his already fragile brain and budding career as a Rock legend before it could even take off. Dramatically Syd's life would be a more powerful story to me.

Last edited:
Was this ever released in theaters? Looks like it is going straight to Bluray & DVD. http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/i-saw-the-light.html

Title: I Saw the Light
Starring: Tom Hiddleston
Released: 5th July 2016
Further Details:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Sony Pictures Classics have announced the Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray/DVD) and DVD releases of Marc Abraham's I Saw the Light.

The Blu-ray Combo Pack will include:
• Deleted Scenes
• A Night in Nashville: Premiere and Musical Performance by Tom Hiddleston
• Illuminating A Legend: Inside I Saw The Light
• Talking Hank
• Commentary with Director Marc Abraham

The DVD will include:
• Illuminating A Legend: Inside I Saw The Light
• Talking Hank
• Commentary with Director Marc Abraham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back