Tom Rothman Speaks

narrows101

Reaction score
Covers a lot of subjects, including X-3, Wolverine and Magneto. The X-3/Wolverine parts: See the link for the whole story.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_d4j_ezine&task=read&page=1&category=featured&article=462&Itemid=27

IESB: Why do you think that X-Men outperformed Superman Returns?

TR: You know, I don’t know that answer to that, I really don’t know. I liked Superman Returns I thought that it was extremely well done. I thought Bryan did an excellent job on it and that it was really a first class picture. Why X-Men outperformed it worldwide? I don’t know, maybe X-Men is a little more current thematically. I’ve always felt that one of the great strengths of X-Men and one of the keys to it’s enduring success is it’s the relatibility of the characters that everybody deals with feelings of alienation and separateness. I think that thematically X-Men is very relevant and I think in particular story of X-Men 3, if you could choose to change who you were to fit in, if given the choice to not be what separates you but also causes you pain, would you take that choice? I think that is a very contemporarily relevant and relatable subject. So I think that’s part of the reason why it [X-Men] succeeded and X-3 is very unusual in franchise pictures in that each one in the series has done more than the one before.

IESB: Going back to the X-Men properties, Wolverine, there was a script review online, has the script changed much since then?

TR: I don’t know, what was the review?

IESB: I don’t know, I didn’t read that review, I try to stay away from script reviews.

TR: You should. There’s a David Benioff script, all we’ve ever had is a first draft so it’s being worked on right now, so if there was a script review it could only have been entirely premature.

IESB: I do know it was a positive review

TR: Even if it’s positive, I am glad it’s positive and we’re optimistic the first draft was good but that’s all that could have possibly been. We are no where near a finished script on that.

IESB: And when could we expect any movement on that, sometime next year?

TR: Our hope would be that Hugh Jackman after he does Baz Luhrmann’s film in Australia next year, the first half of next year, our hope would be that he would do it in the second half of next year. That really ultimately will be up to him.

IESB: And Magneto, how are we doing on that end?

TR: People are quite optimistic but I haven’t yet been given a script from that one.

IESB: I know you’ve said X3 was the last of those stories, but stockholders, you know, the company always wants to make more money…

TR: Here’s the answer, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

IESB: Oh come on Tom, there are going to be more ensemble X-Men films right?

TR: I think, this is what I have always said, this is the truth, X-Men is a very well populated universe and I am sure that we will see those and many other characters from the X-Men universe again, I’ve always said that. I do not believe we will see that exact grouping of characters again. The story arc on those characters, in that incarnation, was completed with those three films.

IESB: That I accept, but we haven’t seen Gambit.

TR: Correct. And I am sure that you will. Lots of characters that we’ve either not seen or glimpsed only briefly, have a huge and rich future. That’s the advantage of having had the third one of the trilogy be so successful and it goes back to your first question, where one of the satisfactions of having that movie being so successful, $450 million dollars worldwide it’s the third biggest film of the whole year, is that it provides a fabulous basis for doing lots of other X films, but what we’re not gonna do is just repeat the same thing. Because we believe that the audience wants more, that they just don’t want the same story told over again and that’s where I think “sequelitis” comes from. That’s why, to tell you the truth, the decision was made on Fantastic Four, which was extremely successful for us, Fantastic Four is well over $300 million worldwide, $154 million here in box office. And we could have just made another one. But, to make it fresh and new and take it up a level, we took basically the greatest and yet unrealized character, part of their universe, so it’s true to the comics and we bring him to life with the Fantastic Four in a new film. So you get the elements that people love but there is a freshness to it. We just don’t want to repeat and repeat.

i officialy want him decapitated and thrown into a fire pit now

actually, i saw really no reason for any hate in this interview. He doesn't say anything that could hurt the fragile sentiments of fanboys (including me). He sounds pretty normal. Now, you want to boo and hate him, go on. But i see no reason, in this particualr case. He has shown he sucks in other ocasions, but not in this one. In here, he sounds even...nice.

flavio_lebeau said:
actually, i saw really no reason for any hate in this interview. He doesn't say anything that could hurt the fragile sentiments of fanboys (including me). He sounds pretty normal. Now, you want to boo and hate him, go on. But i see no reason, in this particualr case. He has shown he sucks in other ocasions, but not in this one. In here, he sounds even...nice.

Nice? He wanted scott dead...phoenix dead...thats not nice...he wasn't nice to scott. :o

DarknessOfDeath said:
Nice? He wanted scott dead...phoenix dead...thats not nice...he wasn't nice to scott. :o
you read my post, right?
i said in this particular interview he doesnt absolutely sound like a dumbass. Actually in this one he sounds pretty normal and even seems to like the franchise. But i said he has shown other times he is quite a dumb. So, i'm not making a critic on whatever he wanted to X3, im saying how i see him in this interview.

Oh god, sometimes it's hard...

flavio_lebeau said:

I have to agree with you. And despite the fact that I loathed X-Men: The Last Stand and I weigh substanial blame and responsibility onto him, his comments in that interview seem quite agreeable.

Rothman's nothing more than an idiot ********.

The story arc on those characters, in that incarnation, was completed with those three films.
Rothman was just BSing himself there. We all know that there were 2 major cliffhanger endings for X3 which means the story isn't finished yet.

flavio_lebeau said:
you read my post, right?
i said in this particular interview he doesnt absolutely sound like a dumbass. Actually in this one he sounds pretty normal and even seems to like the franchise. But i said he has shown other times he is quite a dumb. So, i'm not making a critic on whatever he wanted to X3, im saying how i see him in this interview.

Oh god, sometimes it's hard...

I know what u meant...its just. I was referring to his comment about how some of the character arcs are finished...what character arc(s)? Take Scott for example. Scott barely had one aside from what we saw of x1, but x2, hardly in it, and in x3, boom he's gone in a second.

Yeah I agree he didn't sound like a dumbass in this interview but his comments about how the character arcs are completed in a way they were shown in x3 make me cringe.

flavio_lebeau said:
Are you kidding? He sounds like he wants to stick the interviewer's head to a totem pole.

DarknessOfDeath said:
I know what u meant...its just. I was referring to his comment about how some of the character arcs are finished...what character arc(s)? Take Scott for example. Scott barely had one aside from what we saw of x1, but x2, hardly in it, and in x3, boom he's gone in a second.

Yeah I agree he didn't sound like a dumbass in this interview but his comments about how the character arcs are completed in a way they were shown in x3 make me cringe.
well, since he's dead, his arc is finished, same with Rogue. Do I hate their endings and they middles and their beginnings on the trilogy? Yes, but their arcs are completed. If an X4 comes up, sure they will probably come back, but the way it is, their arcs are finished. As much as i hate their arcs, but they are finished. Although i will love if they come back, even though its just for money, as long as we have good story arcs the next time.

:rolleyes:

^A defining post if I've ever seen one.

(Edit: Not directed to Flavio)

Rothman's right in that X-Men is thematically more current and relatable than Superman... He has the decency (and it was more than politeness) to acknowledge Bryan's work on SR. Could he be wanting Bryan back for future X-related movies?

-hugs Flavio- there there. We both have our points just as long as we see each other's in a honest respectful manner.

You call this a diplomatic solution?

Yeah I think so...erm..damn it.

well he is still an idiot..i want an X4...and TOB have you been at XMF recently??eh???

The Original Bamfer said:
:rolleyes:

^A defining post if I've ever seen one.

(Edit: Not directed to Flavio)
God, I know why does Darkness continue to post like this? :huh: :o

PeRfEcT_StOrM said:
well he is still an idiot..i want an X4...and TOB have you been at XMF recently??eh???

'Not the place, PSX - nor is it your responsibility. I think everyone here knows the proper forum manners, about time we learned them too?

Nevermind...and why are you guys harping on me? Don't like my posts? :( Have I become too harsh now? Hey. Remember, when I saw the movie, I was quiet and kept ALOT of my opinions to myself...So..what now? Is it too late to let it out now?

What would you prefer? To keep my mouth shut about the nit picks...and go on babbling about Jean this and Jean that? :rolleyes:

Dod going low or high...whatever :p

... -sighs- I can change...I used to be good, wasn't I - back in the day before the great X3 Forums fell to the Dark Side. :(

The Original Bamfer said:
My forum - see the link in the signature. Let us try to stay on topic, though. :)

I edited my post. :) so you know... :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"