Tomb of Dracula

Peyton Westlake

the Dark Avenger
Reaction score
I see they have a volume out with issue 1 to 25. Has anyone read this title originally or since its been reprinted in the Essential Tomb of Dracula edition? And if so, is it a series you rate above avg. ?

Considerin' it's a series from th' 70s, it really boils down to a matter o' taste.

Glad to see you're alive Wolverine. I'm leaning towards maybe getting the Essential Tomb of Dracula Vol. 1 Some say it was one of the best horror series in comics.

I have all 3 volumes of Essential Tomb of Dracula. It's good.

WereWolf by Night & Man-Thing were better Marvel horror books in my opinion, but ToD was pretty decent considering the time it came out.

:)

Was gonna say th' same to you, bub. Ain't seen ya on th' messenger none in a while. Ah, what th' hell, go fer it an' get th' book. It's cheap enough.

Themanofbat said:
I have all 3 volumes of Essential Tomb of Dracula. It's good.

WereWolf by Night & Man-Thing were better Marvel horror books in my opinion, but ToD was pretty decent considering the time it came out.

:)

There are actually 4 volumes. And, I agree, they are pretty decent, and especially nice to read comics from the 70's, especially the more obscure ones. Also, a complete version of Bram Stoker's Dracula recently came out. I think it's one of the best adaptations of a novel, and the art is fantastic. It was nice to see them finally complete this.

I've only read issue 1 of the newest volume, but it was a moderately good read.

So far so good, Im on-line now trying to find cheapest price for it ,lol

Moderately J.R. ? Hmm, I'm wondering now if the writing is worth it.

Anybody else out there who can give a strong indication on this series either way?

Before Ghost Rider, there was the Tomb of Dracula. Debuting in the 70's and the beginning of Marvel's foray into horror comics; Tomb of Dracula began with longtime Spider-Man scribe Gerry Conway at the helm with the legendary Gene Colan providing the pencils. The series begins with Frank Drake, a living descendant of Count Dracula, inheriting Castle Dracula, and unwittingly awakening the vampire lord. Eventually, Drake has to make a big sacrifice, and the writing reins are soon taken over by Archie Goodwin, and later by Gardner Fox. It wasn't until Marv Wolfman took over the series that Tomb of Dracula really took off, as new characters like Rachel Van Helsing and later Hannibal King (in the last issue of this Essential title) are introduced that would have a huge impact on the series until it's end. What Wolfman is the most credited for with Tomb of Dracula, is the creation of the mysterious vampire hunter Blade, who makes his debut in the tenth issue of the series. Later on, there is a cross over with Werewolf by Night, and the first appearance of Dracula's daughter Lilith. Gene Colan's pencils are simply gorgeous, and when he's teamed with inker Tom Palmer, it's really something to behold, even in black and white. All in all, like many of Marvel's other Essential titles, Essential Tomb of Dracula is a deal for the price if you don't mind the brittle black and white pages, and it's the beginning of the best Marvel horror title you'll ever read.

I love Tomb of Dracula.

I had the pleasure of meeting artist Gene Colan last weekend, and he was great!

I love Tomb of Dracula.

I had the pleasure of meeting artist Gene Colan last weekend, and he was great!

Wow, really. What he'd have to say about T of D if anything? As you see I bought Volume 1 & I'm already looking forward to getting Vol 2 It is a GREAT series.

I think after reading the first volume of this, it would be an interesting way to make a Marvel horror universe for the big screen. It was where Blade 1st appeared also, so ...wouldn't it be cool to have a Marvel Tomb of Dracula movie that had Blade in it or its sequel. Along with Were wolf by Night & Ghost rider?

I think after reading the first volume of this, it would be an interesting way to make a Marvel horror universe for the big screen. It was where Blade 1st appeared also, so ...wouldn't it be cool to have a Marvel Tomb of Dracula movie that had Blade in it or its sequel. Along with Were wolf by Night & Ghost rider?

I don't know about an MCU horror universe but suddenly I want see a WWII flashback in Cap 3 where he decapitates Baron Blood with his shield. :woot:

I don't know about an MCU horror universe but suddenly I want see a WWII flashback in Cap 3 where he decapitates Baron Blood with his shield. :woot:

Or just anyone with his shield. Somehow in the new Avengers movie it would be cool to have Cap do that in the climax of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"