Topics for Debate: Political Philosophies

'Cause Selma & Occupy 2011 are oh-so-similar and significant. Again, Seattle '99 is the comparison you're looking for. Frustrated young people looking to scream at the sky. At least they weren't out there trying to burn the place down this time, those millennials don't have the stones for the inevitable pepper spray & rubber-bullet responses like the born-in-the-70s kids.

Last edited:
Well in terms of occupying public spaces, fighting for a just cause, and claiming to be peaceful resistance aimed at changing US Law... then yeah I guess.

Nah. Cops moved on the Occupy kids and they scattered to go back to their parent's places rent-free.

Kind of says it all, there wasn't any conviction there. It was KONY 2012, the cool flavor of the month, no sacrifice necessary.

Your insulting language about young American adults aside... I've admitted several times now that they weren't dedicated enough to their cause and that was their problem. You and I seem to agree on that point.

That's very much aside from the validity of the causes or how appropriate it was to occupy public spaces though. Those are the aspects where you and I disagree.

So you're one of these people, to use the highway analogy again with BLM, that's cool just blocking off major city arteries for a cause? Stop ambulances getting to hospitals, leaving kids unable to be picked up from school, the works, 'cause "grievances!"?

I mean, I get it. But it's just why the wider public's never going to side with you on these things. It becomes "more!", "by any means necessary!", "do whatever we need to!", and pretty soon you have people running with that mantra to Weather Underground extremes.

There have to be agreed-upon limits with these things. You get to freely assemble, you get to wave signs and chant all you want. You don't get to shut down civil works no matter how worthy you think your cause is. I get it, it's just a park, people can go without a park. But it's not always going to be a park, is it? It's the old "you act on a riot as soon as it starts and send a message, rather than letting it spiral" thing. These things have a way of snowballing when you don't draw lines, and Occupy pretty clearly breached the accepted bounds of what pretty much everyone in the States not involved in the movement draws.

And in comes the "you're just against the right to protest!" inevitable response. Not one bit. Protest, but do it right. Or, hell, at least...do it wrong if you really feel the need to, but then don't b*tch about the fuzz taking action on it. The only alternative you have at that point is, yeah, retaliatory violence for perceived wrongs, and we all know you're hypothetically against that.

So you're one of these people, to use the highway analogy again with BLM, that's cool just blocking off major city arteries for a cause? Stop ambulances getting to hospitals, leaving kids unable to be picked up from school, the works, 'cause "grievances!"?

Do you think there weren't British merchants who lost their jobs due to Ghandi refusing to buy salt or cloths from them? Do you think there weren't inconvenienced people in Selma? Or what about the Boston Tea Party? I could easily imagine a situation where British colonials say, "yes, yes, they want faire representation... but seizing property and destroying people's ability to feed their families.. That's going too far!" Sometimes, the juice is worth the squeeze.

I mean, I get it. But it's just why the wider public's never going to side with you on these things. It becomes "more!", "by any means necessary!", "do whatever we need to!", and pretty soon you have people running with that mantra to Weather Underground extremes.

You don't seem to get it. The Weather Underground was a violent protest movement... that's the line that must never be crossed for any reason. But yes, public support is vital to civil disobedience. The goal is to provoke your enemies but to do so in a way that compels others to your cause. Like I mentioned earlier... dying out there in the snow would have done that. Extreme self sacrifice allows people to see how important the issue is, and it makes you want to do your part. "If these people can die in the cold, then I can certainly go to a few marches." They didn't do that.. when things got tough, they left.. and so did their credibility unfortunately.

There have to be agreed-upon limits with these things. You get to freely assemble, you get to wave signs and chant all you want. You don't get to shut down civil works no matter how worthy you think your cause is. I get it, it's just a park, people can go without a park. But it's not always going to be a park, is it? It's the old "you act on a riot as soon as it starts and send a message, rather than letting it spiral" thing. These things have a way of snowballing when you don't draw lines, and Occupy pretty clearly breached the accepted bounds of what pretty much everyone in the states not involved in the movement draws.

Draw all the lines you want. It won't stop people from creatively and peacefully disrupting the system in order to highlight injustice. Like I said before, the point of peaceful resistance is to provoke a reaction in order to draw attention to the cause. If you draw a line that protesters can't go to a certain place or do a certain thing, then it's very possible that civil resisters will break those specific laws in order to demonstrate their point.... all the while, not throwing a punch.
And when those laws are broken, then the police can arrest those people and prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. Death.. jail... these are just part of the consequences of being a soldier. In fact, Ghandi would argue (when he was put in jail twice) that the judge had to enforce the harshest punishment possible, in order to show how unjust the laws really were. If you really believe in what you're doing then enforce the law to the fullest extent possible. That's true civil disobedience.. not marching in a street for an hour and then going home, feeling good about yourself.

And in comes the "you're just against the right to protest!" inevitable response. Not one bit. Protest, but do it right. Or, hell, at least...do it wrong if you really feel the need to, but then don't b*tch about the fuzz taking action on it.
Agreed. The whole point is to provoke. Arrests should be assumed.. and in some cases... necessary.

Last edited:
I mean, the other likely response in that whole (absolutely shockingly extremist-tone) scenario you put out there is that Joe & Jane Middle-Class blame Occupy for actively encouraging 19 year old kids to suicide-by-cop to make a point, and demonize you further.

And there's a ****load more of them in every western country than there are, well, honestly...you. Your conversion-to-the-cause-through-bodily-sacrifice stuff is flawed, to be kind.

Life's not a Rage Against The Machine lyric booklet.

I mean, the other likely response in that whole (absolutely shockingly extremist-tone) scenario you put out there is that Joe & Jane Middle-Class blame Occupy for actively encouraging 19 year old kids to suicide-by-cop to make a point, and demonize you further.

And there's a ****load more of them in every western country than there are, well, honestly...you. Your conversion-to-the-cause-through-bodily-sacrifice stuff is flawed, to be kind.

Life's not a Rage Against The Machine lyric booklet.

Tell that to Ghandi, Martin Luther King, or Mandela, who all broke laws sometimes at great sacrifice to their followers. In regard to people blaming Occupy, yeah it's a risk. You have to make tactical choices, and this might not be the best one. If those people stayed out there in the snow for as long as they could until being kicked out, and some people died... maybe some Americans would blame Occupy for uh... brainwashing those kids... or ugh something. But I think most people would say, "wow, this was really important to them. How tragic! Maybe I should take a second look."

And if it doesn't work that time, that's okay.. our continued, persistent resistance will eventually win them over. The powers that be are not in charge.. the resisters are.. and they will continue to provoke, until they get the reaction they want. Throw them in jail one after another... they will continue to provoke without throwing a fist. They force the officers to carry their limp bodies to the prison cell, resisting even to walk in compliance with authorities. Make everything difficult. From beginning to end. Make them hate you for your stubbornness.... but eventually respect you for it.

A crapload more of who? It's not flawed... it's just exceptionally hard. True civil disobedience takes patience, dedication, and the willingness to sacrifice. It's no easy task. If my beliefs are flawed, then so too is the whole civil resistance movement. I'm not making up the philosophy; I'm just espousing it. This isn't my formula. It was made before me, and yeah, it's shown to be WAY more effective than violent resistance.

Last edited:
Mandela slipped into the violence trap early in life, though. He rose above it in prison and post-prison, but prior to that he sanctioned a few attacks on government workers, his MK branch ("Spear of the Nation") of the ANC guys murdered a few dudes before being recognized not just by South Africa but actually internationally as a terrorist organization.

Point is, you keep talking about nonviolent protest being the goal while asserting "more needs to be done" and skirting any notion of limits on resistance being a valid concept. That's always how it starts out. Always. These Berkeley types are basically "peaceful sit-in, but if the cops try to remove us by force, we should fight back". That's a small-scale example yeah, and the cops are going to get a handle on college kids pretty quickly, but the basic philosophy is the hypocrisy. There's no oversight with this, there's no organized "if they arrest you, let it happen, we'll fight it the right way through the courts". It's a free-for-all, and if you raise things to a riot once cops show up, it's just "what needs to be done for change". The public generally speaking will never get on board with that.

Gandhi, agreed. Thing is, these protester kids ain't no Gandhi, you need the credibility and persuasive power to come along with it, actually articulating what needs to change and how. There was none of that with Occupy, it's basically screaming for the sake of screaming, or at the very least screaming for things that won't ever eventuate in a western country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"