Status
Not open for further replies.

TBadora

Sidekick
Reaction score
ufc79_hughes-stpierre.jpg

Event
: UFC 79: “Nemesis”
Date: Saturday, December 29, 2007, at 10 p.m. EST on pay-per-view (PPV)
Location: The Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada

Main Event:
Matt Hughes (41-5) vs. Georges St. Pierre (14-2) for the interim UFC Welterweight Championship

Undercard:
205 lbs.: Chuck Liddell (20-5) vs. Wanderlei Silva (31-7-1)
205 lbs.: Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (4-1) vs. Lyoto Machida (11-0)
155 lbs.: Rich Clementi (28-12-1) vs. Melvin Guillard (20-6-2)*
155 lbs.: Manny Gamburyan (5-2) vs. Nate Mohr (8-4)*
185 lbs.: Dean Lister (9-5) vs. Jordan Radev (11-2)*
170 lbs.: Roan Carneiro (11-6) vs. Tony DeSouza (10-3)*
Hvywt.: Eddie Sanchez (7-1) vs. Soa Palalei (8-1)*
155 lbs.: Doug Evans (5-1) vs. Mark Bocek (4-1)*

* Designates that the fight has not been officially confirmed.

Recently, due to a back injury, the welterweight champion Matt "The Terror" Serra had to pull out of the main even fight. Recently, GSP has stepped up to takes his place and challenge Matt Hughes for a shot at the Welterweight title match. Many argue that this will be an even more impressive fight. So far, UFC 79 has perhaps the most impressive fight card in MMA history.

What are your impressions and predictions. Will GSP tear Matt Hughes apart a second time? Will you be watching the fight? Will you be attending the fight at Mandalay Bay? Use this thread to discuss any views you have about this upcoming UFC event.

18909405470.gif

silva will tear chuck apart.

hughes is a good studier, so he will be prepared for the fight, but still might lose.

silva will tear chuck apart.

hughes is a good studier, so he will be prepared for the fight, but still might lose.

I am actually expecting Silva to loose. Here's why:

Most Pride fighters are not used to the UFC style of fighting. If you've watched Pride, you'll know that their rules were vicious and unforgiving. You could kick a guy in the head when he was down. In the UFC you can't even knee a guy when he's on the ground. Silva used to be one of those guys who was vicious and all out, so was Shogun. I believe Shogun lost because he wasn't able to utilize his full arsenal on Griffen. I fear the same will be the fate of Silva. All in all I am hoping for a good fight. With all the recent upsets, who knows what can happen anymore.

I think the GSP VS Hughes fight will go to Hughes. Unfortunately.

http://www.matt-hughes.com/

Look at the two videos up on the front of this site. This is a REAL man at work. Georges St. Pierre can NOT jump onto the top of loose standing barbels. Georges St. Pierre can NOT dead lift a 120 lb dumb bell with one arm. He can not kill a deer in one shot.

Hughes is going to obliterate Pierre for the second time.

It always cracks me up when guys try to let you know they're real men with the use of a dead animal and gun.

http://www.matt-hughes.com/

Look at the two videos up on the front of this site. This is a REAL man at work. Georges St. Pierre can NOT jump onto the top of loose standing barbels. Georges St. Pierre can NOT dead lift a 120 lb dumb bell with one arm. He can not kill a deer in one shot.

Hughes is going to obliterate Pierre for the second time.

Hughes is just a steriod pumping, animal hunting, arrogant, fool. I don't like him. But he is a good fighter, albeit an incredible boring fighter (like his buddy Tim Sylvia). GSP is charasmatic, repectable, and extremely gracious in the octagon. Rarely does he talk down to his opponents (unlike Hughes).

All that said. This should be a good third match. Both are exceptional fighters. History shows that no one can really predict these things with any accuracy. But I'm cheering for GSP FT-motha****in'-W. :D

Hughes is just a steriod pumping, animal hunting, arrogant, fool. I don't like him. But he is a good fighter, albeit an incredible boring fighter (like his buddy Tim Sylvia). GSP is charasmatic, repectable, and extremely gracious in the octagon. Rarely does he talk down to his opponents (unlike Hughes).

You just don't like the fact that a tremendous athlete, a conservative farmboy, and a God-loving Christian is going to destroy Georges St. Pierre.

You just don't like the fact that a tremendous athlete, a conservative farmboy, and a God-loving Christian is going to destroy Georges St. Pierre.

I wouldn't go that far with it.

Tremendous athlete: Same could be said about GSP.
Conservative farmboy: Hahaha, like I care!
God-loving Christian: Who doesn't love God? And a Chrsitian? GSP is a Christian too!

And about that last part on destroying GSP: It didn't look that way last time, did it? :D

Meh on Hughes vs. GSP. I honestly don't need to see these 2 fight again.

God-loving Christian: Who doesn't love God? And a Chrsitian? GSP is a Christian too!

And about that last part on destroying GSP: It didn't look that way last time, did it? :D

GSP isn't a 9 time WW champion. Matt Hughes is a wholesome guy. GSP is on the gas.

I love GSP and Hughes, but my #1 favorite is Hughes. I think he'll win the fight, and I want him to win because I want to see Hughes/Serra.

Far as the main card this is my take:

GSP v. Hughes, Im a taking Hughes on this one,but barely. Think it will go all 5 rounds(like I care I don't have dish to get this). I think alot of ppl mistake confidence with arrogance,and hughes border lines the arrogance.
GSP, not sure,his main opponant is his mind,you do'nt know who ur gonna get each fight.
Iceman v. Axe murderer; I think this will be Chucks final fight in UFC,he will get torched by Wandalai. Hes got more tools than chuck,hes got an actuall ground game,and chucks well; we have no idea..
The unfortunate thing about UFC is its all based on wins/loss's unlike alot of other venues overseas,where performance > wins/loss's..I like chuck/wandalai,so it would be shame to see them fade away fast just cause of their win/loss record. Ppl would still pay to see them fight no matter how many wins/loss's they have..
*for the record Wandalai has fought in the ufc before,so hes somewhat familiar with ufc,though alot has changed since he lost to Tito Ortiz..
The other fights,im not hip on,but Im interested in that Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Lyoto Machida fight.

Tonight's the night, folks! :yay:

Time for your picks...

Hughes Vs St. Pierre (I'm not a fan of GSP, but I think he's on his game right now after seeing that sports shrink and wins by split decision. Though I hope to God that Hughes beats his sorry ass. :o)

Silva Vs Liddell (I don't see this one making it past round 2. I think both fighters will pound on each other, but Wanderlei catches Chuck in the second for a KO.)

Machida Vs Sokoudjou (Finally the UFC fans get to see Sokou in action. He's still young and still getting better, but I think Sokou picks up where he left off with his KOs of Nogueira and Arona.)

Palalei Vs Sanchez (Sanchez gets starts a win streak with his victory over UFC newcomer Palalei with a split decision.)

Clementi Vs Guillard (Getting off his suspension for coke use, I think Guillard will be focused and come away with the victory over the MMA vet Clementi.)

Clementi v. Guillard - Man do these guys hate each other.

Outcome of fight:
Clementi controlled the first round with good inside kicks and jiu-jitsu, and ended it at 4:40 of the first round with a rear-naked choke.

Guillard got in one punch and that was it. Clementi dominated this fight. :up:

Then Guillard threw a hissy fit after he lost. :down

We already have a UFC thread, gentlemen. Take it there. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"