Ultimate Power

Phoney Bone said:
Yeah....I was definietly thinking Hyperion was ripped from Liefeld (wow).

Inertia (or the fast guy, I have no idea what his name is) has a really ****ed-up body if you look at it. Really, what the **** kind of position is he in??

And Sue's pose is just so freakin' RANDOM.

I know Jean Gray's face too, I just can't place it.

Inertia was the female in the top right corner. That guy is Blur.

the only thing i gotta say about this cover...... BOOBS!!!

PWN3R RANGER said:
I know we've had like 5 threads on this, but we finally got some news so here:

ULTPOW001_cov_col.jpg

ULTIMATE POWER #1 (of 9)
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Pencils and Cover by GREG LAND
The Fantastic Four’s leader, Reed Richards, has accidentally punched a hole into an adjacent universe in a desperate bid to gain the knowledge he needs to cure his friend Ben Grimm—The Thing. But something has come through the aperture from a realm known as the Supremeverse: The Squadron Supreme! They are angry and here to arrest young Reed for high crimes against their world. You must not miss the crossover of the decade!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

I'm looking forward to this, but I'm scared it'll be bad.:(

The woman in read looks like Kate Beckinsale.

man that chick in the reds left boob is either twice the size of the other or her top is pushing up on the right.

Dont know much about the Ulimate MU outside of ultimates, know nothing about supreme power, will let this one pass me by.

The thing I hate about the new ss is that they arent really JLA take offs any more...for me, it was always cool seeing ss vs avengers because it was basically unofficially jla vs avengers, and now , except maybe hyperion, all the others are kinda lame new heroes.

Horrorfan said:
The thing I hate about the new ss is that they arent really JLA take offs any more...for me, it was always cool seeing ss vs avengers because it was basically unofficially jla vs avengers, and now , except maybe hyperion, all the others are kinda lame new heroes.

Well the SS that fights the Avengers is still around.

Horrorfan said:

What are you talking about? The new hero's are awesome. Except Blur, who I don't really like. Nighthawk being the most awesome, followed closely by Zarda is way more interesting, and Doctor Spectrum.

Mistress Gluon said:
What are you talking about? The new hero's are awesome. Except Blur, who I don't really like. Nighthawk being the most awesome, followed closely by Zarda is way more interesting, and Doctor Spectrum.

Agreed, except I even like Blur.

- Whirly

Whirlysplat said:
Agreed, except I even like Blur.

- Whirly

I don't care for him really. He just felt... blah. Nothing real spectacular from the original Blur to tell the truth. He felt like a good character when he was arguing with Nighthawk over race, but then he goes back against Hyperion, and basically says the same thing Nighthawk says. Which was lame. Because I was hoping for a black character that didn't HAVE to say something like that.

I think I'll be skipping this and possibly ditching Squadron Supreme altogether. It's been boring me since the switch from MAX for some reason. Plus, I don't like how Inertia's gone from having a really badass power in the original Squadron to basically being a generic super-tough, super-strong chick in the new one. Her story's pretty clichéd, too.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I think I'll be skipping this and possibly ditching Squadron Supreme altogether. It's been boring me since the switch from MAX for some reason. Plus, I don't like how Inertia's gone from having a really badass power in the original Squadron to basically being a generic super-tough, super-strong chick in the new one. Her story's pretty clichéd, too.

I reread Gruenwalds original not long ago. It's dated badly :(.

- Whirly

TheCorpulent1 said:

Her story was SLIGHTLY interesting. But it's just basically more of the same garbage, agreed. But yeah, she was this awesome super powered, could easily flatten Hyperion super human, and now she's just... generic, like you said.

I wouldn't blame you for dropping the title, I'm also considering it.

Whirlysplat said:
I reread Gruenwalds original not long ago. It's dated badly :(.

- Whirly
The dialogue is, but I think the plot is still relevant. I just read it a few weeks ago myself.

TheCorpulent1 said:
The dialogue is, but I think the plot is still relevant. I just read it a few weeks ago myself.

I'm not saying some of it's not bad still, but when you compare it to Watchmen which came out about a year later...... It's dated.

- Whirly

Watchmen's a little dated itself. I was confused about why that kid was calling everyone "turkeys" when I first read it.

The plot behind this crossover seems silly to me. Why would they arrest Reed when there are groups in the Ultimate Universe who could do that.

Trigger said:
The plot behind this crossover seems silly to me. Why would they arrest Reed when there are groups in the Ultimate Universe who could do that.

Because Reed basically "invaded" their dimension.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Watchmen's a little dated itself. I was confused about why that kid was calling everyone "turkeys" when I first read it.

I don't think it's dated at all, because of the way like Batman the animated series, despite dates etc, it is set apart from real time e.g. Doc M. wins Vietnam, the electric cars etc. It's earth but not as we know it. ;)

- Whirly

Whirlysplat said:
I don't think it's dated at all, because of the way like Batman the animated series, despite dates etc, it is set apart from real time e.g. Doc M. wins Vietnam, the electric cars etc. It's earth but not as we know it. ;)

- Whirly

It's about as dated as Watchmen really. Since they both really elaborate on the same subject. Watchmen was done better, but that doesn't really make SS "dated" in comparison.

Mistress Gluon said:
It's about as dated as Watchmen really. Since they both really elaborate on the same subject. Watchmen was done better, but that doesn't really make SS "dated" in comparison.

Not really, one is about a benevolent dictatorship, SS is more like Miracleman and asks the question," Is utopia worth obeying indivuals who have set themselves above you". It doesn't give the reader the chance to decide, as it leads you to the answer it prescribes. Whereas MM does not.
The Watchmen is about an amoral but at the same time altruistic lie. Which offers up the question, "do the ends justify the means" or "Is truth more important". The sacrifice of Rorschach is about killing the truth, It doesn't answer these questions though and leaves you to decide. :)

- Whirly

Whirlysplat said:
Not really, one is about a benevolent dictatorship, SS is more like Miracleman and asks the question," Is utopia worth obeying indivuals who have set themselves above you". It doesn't give the reader the chance to decide, as it leads you to the answer it prescribes. Whereas MM does not.
The Watchmen is about an amoral but at the same time altruistic lie. Which offers up the question, "do the ends justify the means" or "Is truth more important". The sacrifice of Rorschach is about killing the truth, It doesn't answer these questions though and leaves you to decide. :)

- Whirly

The ends justifying the means was in BOTH comics. Since Nighthawk eventually had Hyperion realize the weight of his decision to basically enslave everybody. Basically was it worth turning people into sheep for their own safety? Sort of deal. And they were probably not all THAT benevolent. Seeing how it wasn't above them to excercize their force.

Where Watchmen, the government were keeping a tight lid on them, making SURE things like this didn't happen. Granted, that wasn't the main part of the story. But it was a big part of the story. Beings with so much power, who could watch them? SS answered that by just naming themselves leaders of Earth through their superior power.

And the death of Nighthawk was also about killing the truth. Since he basically had to die to convince Hyperion of his folly, also aspiring to the fact that the hero's NEEDED to be watched and "controlled" to some degree, since they're still human and can make human mistakes.

Mistress Gluon said:
The ends justifying the means was in BOTH comics. Since Nighthawk eventually had Hyperion realize the weight of his decision to basically enslave everybody. Basically was it worth turning people into sheep for their own safety? Sort of deal. And they were probably not all THAT benevolent. Seeing how it wasn't above them to excercize their force.

All true, it was a group of individuals who had set themselves above society and their view of how society should be. The ends justifying the means is secondary in this story to the imposition of a group of individuals will on others, it was a about control more than justification they did not need to justify as they had control.

Mistress Gluon said:
Where Watchmen, the government were keeping a tight lid on them, making SURE things like this didn't happen. Granted, that wasn't the main part of the story. But it was a big part of the story. Beings with so much power, who could watch them? SS answered that by just naming themselves leaders of Earth through their superior power.

They had no answer to DM, yes they controlled the others but DM basically wasn't interested in power anyway.

Mistress Gluon said:
SS answered that by just naming themselves leaders of Earth through their superior power.

Exactly as I said

Mistress Gluon said:
And the death of Nighthawk was also about killing the truth. Since he basically had to die to convince Hyperion of his folly, also aspiring to the fact that the hero's NEEDED to be watched and "controlled" to some degree, since they're still human and can make human mistakes.

Not really, killing Nighthawk was about killing an opposing view and not the truth, however it did lead Hyperion to see others views were valid.

- Whirly

Whirlysplat said:
All true, it was a group of individuals who had set themselves above society and their view of how society should be. The ends justifying the means is secondary in this story to the imposition of a group of individuals will on others, it was a about control more than justification they did not need to justify as they had control.

But in the end, realized there was no justification, and hence, they had no right. Moral dillema stuff.

Whirlysplat said:
They had no answer to DM, yes they controlled the others but DM basically wasn't interested in power anyway.

But they kept him fairly occupied. But if the others were left to do their own devices, considering some of them had high up tech, they could easily amass power. That was why they were controlled.

Whirlysplat said:
Exactly as I said

Indeed.

Whirlysplat said:
Not really, killing Nighthawk was about killing an opposing view and not the truth, however it did lead Hyperion to see others views were valid.

- Whirly

And Rorschach was easily an opposing view in that same breadth. Nighthawk felt the people should be in control, where Rorschach felt the people should know. So it could be easily said that killing Nighthawk was killing the idea of truth. I'll admit that in Watchmen, it was "actually killed" since it wasn't allowed to spread. But Nighthawk was killed only AFTER he was allowed to spread it.

Both were killed for their beliefs. And both were considered truths. Except for Rorschach, because it was believed he SHOULD be killed to not spread the truth, giving a mysterious "controlling the fate of mankind" deal to the others, basically putting them at the beginning of the SS's cycle of control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"