Horror Until Dawn

Honestly do not understand this. The game was already an interactive movie.

And to boot, it's not like it's something like The Last of Us where the story is so good that there's a need for it to be adapted to film/tv so that non-gamers can experience it. It was alright. If anything, this should be more like that Bandersnatch episode of Black Mirror where the viewer can choose what happens next. Having it be a straight-up movie takes away the whole point of the game.

Didn't expect this to be David's return to horror.

And to boot, it's not like it's something like The Last of Us where the story is so good that there's a need for it to be adapted to film/tv so that non-gamers can experience it. It was alright. If anything, this should be more like that Bandersnatch episode of Black Mirror where the viewer can choose what happens next. Having it be a straight-up movie takes away the whole point of the game.
I don't really think that a Last of Us adaptation was needed. I think the best comic book and video game movies/shows are those that take established characters and/or universe and lore and build something new, not straight-up adaptations to the last detail. I don't think that remaking an extremely cinematic game offers anything new and when you adapt it for audience that doesn't play games it's going to lose a big part of the appeal, which is interactivity. Otherwise one can see the cutscenes, they're free on YouTube. And to be frank The Last of Us doesn't even have a great story to begin with. It wasn't anything that fresh even when it was released, let alone now. What it has is great characters, tone and approach to a story that we've seen quite a few times.

I LOVE both Until Dawn and David F. Sandberg so I'm definitely watching this, but yeah it's not the most original idea to turn a movie game into a movie. It's going to be interesting to see what they keep and what they take out. It's also too bad that the entire cast has aged out of the roles (if they ever were the correct age). No Hayden Panettiere or Rami Malek :deadpan:

I don't really think that a Last of Us adaptation was needed. I think the best comic book and video game movies/shows are those that take established characters and/or universe and lore and build something new, not straight-up adaptations to the last detail. I don't think that remaking an extremely cinematic game offers anything new and when you adapt it for audience that doesn't play games it's going to lose a big part of the appeal, which is interactivity. Otherwise one can see the cutscenes, they're free on YouTube. And to be frank The Last of Us doesn't even have a great story to begin with. It wasn't anything that fresh even when it was released, let alone now. What it has is great characters, tone and approach to a story that we've seen quite a few times.
I mean, that's all part and parcel to a great story. Was TLOU needed? I guess no adaptation is ever really needed, but with how acclaimed it was and how easily it translated to another medium, it seemed like a no-brainer. Until Dawn by comparison is much more of an interactive experience so I can't really see how it could effectively work unless it's done in a similar manner to Bandersnatch where people can choose what happens next.

I LOVE both Until Dawn and David F. Sandberg so I'm definitely watching this, but yeah it's not the most original idea to turn a movie game into a movie. It's going to be interesting to see what they keep and what they take out. It's also too bad that the entire cast has aged out of the roles (if they ever were the correct age). No Hayden Panettiere or Rami Malek :deadpan:
Peter Stormare is still the right age. :oldrazz:

I mean, that's all part and parcel to a great story. Was TLOU needed? I guess no adaptation is ever really needed, but with how acclaimed it was and how easily it translated to another medium, it seemed like a no-brainer. Until Dawn by comparison is much more of an interactive experience so I can't really see how it could effectively work unless it's done in a similar manner to Bandersnatch where people can choose what happens next.
But having all that in a game is what made it great and relatively fresh in the first place. Because it presented things and themes that are were not as common in video games. Adapting it to media where we've seen similar plotlines and tropes many times before, and quite a few times even better, felt far less original and unnecessary. Now, I can't speak for Until Dawn because I haven't played it, but I've played various similar games so I can see this being even more gratuitous, yes.

Honestly do not understand this. The game was already an interactive movie.

After Mario made a billion, studios are going to go after any videogame property they can. A video game that is practically already a movie and in a genre that is highly low budget, high return? Pure gold in an exec's eyes.

Just get the exact same actors as the game.
Most of them are too old. They could pass for college kids in a game but not so much in a movie. I also doubt Rami Malek would come back for this, his career hadn't really taken off yet when the game came out.

Most of them are too old. They could pass for college kids in a game but not so much in a movie. I also doubt Rami Malek would come back for this, his career hadn't really taken off yet when the game came out.
Just age them up.

Just age them up.
my-goodness-what-an-idea.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"