• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Vampire Hunter: Dark Planet

Abishai100

Civilian
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of American comics and how they reflect the sort of outlandish pedestrian daydreams that we see presented in various Japanese anime/manga.

I'm also a fan of the Japanese series of comic book stylized fantasy-adventure half-anime half-manga oriented novels Vampire Hunter D which were adapted into the single noir-realm 1985 full-length animated OVA film Vampire Hunter D.

The 1985 animated film is rather graphic and full of dark-dominion type monsters and creatures 'slithering through a world of darkness.' This film nicely captures some of the modern-era human fascination with industrialization-related 'morality/omen' themed 'spiritual-backlash storytelling' which is why we can liken it to noir American comics characters/films such as The Dark Knight, The Shadow, and Black Panther.

====

Alastair was a perfect swordsman and great warlock who was known on his planet as the consummate vampire-hunter. Alastair carried swords and magical blinding crescent-moons (miniature) which he used to disarm his adversaries. Alastair decided to travel to planet Earth where it was rumoured that capitalism had driven humanity past the limits of insanity. When Alastair landed in 2089 Los Angeles (California, USA), he discovered that the post-apocalyptic American city had become a den of vice and piracy, a 'dark-city' of terrible people and scavengers and 'desperates.'

ALASTAIR: Why do you sell bottled water?
MERCHANT: All the 'real water' is poisoned.
ALASTAIR: I'm sorry, I'm new here.
MERCHANT: You sure are, mister.
ALASTAIR: I suppose everyone knows of the 'poisoned waters.'
MERCHANT: So...you want a bottle of my purified H2O?
ALASTAIR: Yeah; thanks.
MERCHANT: So you look like some kind of mercenary...
ALASTAIR: That's what I am; I'm also a vampire-hunter.
MERCHANT: Vampire-hunter, eh? Well, we sure have ghouls here.
ALASTAIR: No; I've heard Earth is infested with 'moral vampirism.'
MERCHANT: Yeah, I suppose morality on Earth is for 'vampires.'
ALASTAIR: Well, thanks for the water, merchant...

Alastair concluded that Los Angeles (like the rest of planet Earth) was crawling with profiteers and desperates. He wondered if there were 'secret' underground 'vampire-cults' filled with piracy-minded humans who practiced bizarre human-sacrifice and blood-drinking rituals to 'exorcise' their demons about pure anarchy and undesirable confusion on the planet. Alastair decided that such a cult would be as good as a 'real vampire club.' Alastair began questioning people to see if he could discover the location of one of these pseudo-vampire cults/clubs and found one.

ALASTAIR: So your cult/club is comprised of vampires?
CULT-MEMBER: Don't get crazy, man; we're not 'real' vampires!
ALASTAIR: Oh, you just drink blood and sacrifice women and etc.
CULT-MEMBER: Exactly; we're 'philosophical-vampires.'
ALASTAIR: Well, can I join?
CULT-MEMBER: You look like a wanderer, not a vampire...
ALASTAIR: Perhaps I'm a humanoid-alien from another planet/world!
CULT-MEMBER: Why do you want to be a member of our group?
ALASTAIR: I suppose I despise capitalism as much as your club.
CULT-MEMBER: Well, then, welcome; your club-name is Asterix.
ALASTAIR: That's clever; as in, 'there's an asterix by his loyalty.'
CULT-MEMBER: We're all 'clever' here...

Alastair realized that this pseudo-vampire cult/club (known as the Red Capes) was pure evil. He also discovered that every Halloween Eve, members of the Red Capes would scour the city streets of Los Angeles, looking for vagrants and vulnerables to kidnap and bring back to their 'lair' for sacrifice-rituals. The Red Capes kept 'sacred vials' filled with the blood of their victims (which they drank as a toast to the destruction of capitalism itself). Alastair concluded that this cult would demoralize the human spirit if it endured, so he methodically killed off all the members. He then discussed this 'heroic deed' with his Oracle (his spiritual-guide force from his own planet).

ALASTAIR: Earth was infested with 'vampires.'
ORACLE: Humans have lost their way...
ALASTAIR: At least they believe in the Koran and Bible.
ORACLE: They care little about the prophets (e.g., Jesus Christ).
ALASTAIR: Well, I've destroyed the Red Capes.
ORACLE: That is good; you have to save Earth's soul.
ALASTAIR: I'll do what I can; perhaps there are 'angels' here.
ORACLE: No; even the archangel Michael has fallen!
ALASTAIR: In that case, I'll infuse this planet with a little gusto.
ORACLE: Best wishes...
ALASTAIR: Thanks again, Oracle.

Alastair went on a global campaign (travelling to NYC, Miami, London, Paris, Sydney, Hong Kong, Tehran, and New Delhi) to infuse humanity with 'gusto.' He would tell pedestrians of the need to work together in a barren post-apocalyptic land filled with piracy and sloth. He would sometimes kill warlords and vandals and ghouls right in front of the people, so they knew he was a 'warrior of serious consciousness.' Alastair did this for a full four years, and his legend grew. Soon, youth-camps across Earth were staging 'adventure-stories and plays' about Alastair's 'feats' and began referring to him as the 'Great Vampire Hunter D' (the letter 'D' stood for 'post-doomsday').

Alastair returned to his home planet, confident that humanity had miraculously found their way again. He told the Oracle that if he had not arrived in time to convert/exorcise the demons on the planet, they would have betrayed all the principles they so cherished in sacred texts such as the Koran and the Bible. The Oracle explained that had Alastair failed in his 'special mission,' human beings would crawl around Earth armed with hatchets and hammers, scavenging for food and resources like creeping 'creatures.' It would have been a truly (and irrevocably) 'dark planet.' Alastair realized he was a true 'planetary ABCD.' He turned his eyes towards another mission now (but that is a different story).

====

Vampire_Hunter_D_OVA_poster.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"