Veterans' Day

Slushy

Superhero
Reaction score
I was young at the time and didn't know any better of what to do with my life having gotten of high school. Served 4 years in The Air Force working on aircraft. 3 of which had me stationed in New Mexico. The pay and the benefits were great, but I was homesick. I'd go back and do it again though. The obstacle course at basic training during Warrior Week was fun. I still have my dog tags to this day.

Thank you to all the posters on here who joined their respective branches.

And if you haven't, if you see a man or woman in uniform, give them a firm handshake and thank them for their service.

With that said, free meals and discounts await for my fellow past or present military personnel today. I would call first just to make sure and of course bring your military ID or some kind of proof:

http://www.military.com/veterans-day/veterans-day-military-discounts.html

Last edited:
Thank you for your service, Slushy.:)

I'd like to thank all our brave servicemen, women, & Slushy who serve & protect our country. :yay:

No doubt. Pretty much every other guy in my family was in the military at some point. I managed to squeeze out of it, but I appreciate what they dealt with.

For posters in other countries...do you guys have something similar?

For posters in other countries...do you guys have something similar?

We have Remembrance Day in Canada. It was always awkward for me in school because my entire family is German and a couple of great grandparents served in the German army during WWII and during the school's ceremony, any student with family who served would put a poppy on a wall while the name of the relative and which side they fought on was announced to everyone. I was the only one with Axis relatives.

In Canada, it feels like the World Wars are remembered and talked about more than anything else. I think a lot of Canadians weren't happy with our troops heading to Afghanistan.

I prefer to remember the vets of the World Wars because a lot of them were conscripted to go and there was more at stake. They actually fought for freedom. The wars of today are fought for reasons that I can't get behind.

That being said, I have a few friends that served in the military and they're good guys and did their jobs well. I just wish they didn't have to be shipped out for ridiculous wars. They deserve better than that.

Last edited:
Thanks, Marvolo and Duke. I'm emotionally overwhelmed right now as today brings back a lot of memories about my tenure.

I would also like to thank you and all our servicemen and women. Thank you very much.

I guess Hitler was more of a blatant villain than the gray areas we have today, go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"