Viola Davis, Chadwick Boseman in Netflix's "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"

It definitely felt more like a play than a film but that’s too be expected. I enjoyed it more than Fences. I thought both Chadwick and Viola were great. I didn’t even recognize Viola at first. I wouldn’t be surprised if Chadwick wins Best Actor based on the lack of competition this year and his untimely passing that will get a sympathy vote.

Do you mean the FINAL scene?

The scene of the white band stealing Levy's song isn't in the play. They added it here as a homage to the history of black music being appropriated by white artists via predatory producers like the one shown here. I thought it served both as a representation of that reality and as a fitting cap to the themes of ownership that underline the piece. Sure, it's a hecking bummer, but you very rarely walk away from a Wilson piece with anything resembling a happy ending.

It's really ALL of the ending, and I think there is a fair bit of projecting on my part because I'm still sad about Boseman, but it just left a bad taste for me. I don't think it's bad writing or anything and it makes sense, it just bummed me out incredibly.

Yeah. The Oscar's between Hopkins and Boseman. Everybody else is just happy to be there.

Yeah. The Oscar's between Hopkins and Boseman. Everybody else is just happy to be there.

If that's the case, I'd say the sympathy vote puts Boseman over the top. Especially as Hopkins already has an Oscar.

Would Boseman be considered lead for this or supporting?
Boseman easily has the most lines and screentime, so I'd say he's definitely a Lead. Viola Davis is also Lead, but is definitely in Hopkins/Lector territory for record-low screentime as a lead.

Personally, I definitely think he would have been a frontrunner regardless, but the "Last Chance" effect definitely tips him up over Hopkins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"