93rd Annual Academy Awards

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
p1ctfe4.jpg

Another award season in the books, now it's time to look ahead for next year's Oscar race.

Here's some noteworthy movies coming this year...

West Side Story
An adaptation of the 1957 musical, West Side Story explores forbidden love and the rivalry between the Jets and the Sharks, two teenage street gangs of different ethnic backgrounds.
Director: Steven Spielberg
Stars: Ansel Elgort, Rita Moreno, Corey Stoll, Rachel Zegler

The Last Duel
King Charles VI declares that Knight Jean de Carrouges settle his dispute with his squire by challenging him to a duel.
Director: Ridley Scott
Stars: Adam Driver, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Jodie Comer

Dune
Feature adaptation of Frank Herbert's science fiction novel, about the son of a noble family entrusted with the protection of the most valuable asset and most vital element in the galaxy.
Director: Denis Villeneuve
Stars: Rebecca Ferguson, Timothée Chalamet, Jason Momoa, Dave Bautista

Hillbilly Elegy
A man recalls his life growing up in the Midwest with Appalachian values.
Director: Ron Howard
Stars: Amy Adams, Haley Bennett, Gabriel Basso, Glenn Close

Mank
Follows screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz's tumultuous development of Orson Welles' iconic masterpiece Citizen Kane (1941).
Director: David Fincher
Stars: Lily Collins, Gary Oldman, Amanda Seyfried, Tom Burke

King Richard
A look at how tennis superstars Venus and Serena Williams became who they are after the coaching from their father Richard Williams.
Director: Reinaldo Marcus Green
Stars: Will Smith, Jon Bernthal, Aunjanue Ellis, Saniyya Sidney

In The Heights
A feature version of the Broadway musical, in which a bodega owner has mixed feelings about closing his store and retiring to the Dominican Republic after inheriting his grandmother's fortune.
Director: Jon M. Chu
Stars: Anthony Ramos, Stephanie Beatriz, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Jimmy Smits

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
When Ma Rainey, the "Queen of the Blues," makes a record in a studio in Chicago, 1927, tensions boil between her, her white agent and producer, and bandmates.
Director: George C. Wolfe
Stars: Chadwick Boseman, Viola Davis, Taylour Paige, Colman Domingo

Blonde
A fictionalized chronicle of the inner life of Marilyn Monroe.
Director: Andrew Dominik
Stars: Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson, Rebecca Wisocky, Bobby Cannavale

Ammonite
1840s England, an infamous fossil hunter and a young woman sent to convalesce by the sea develop an intense relationship, altering both of their lives forever.
Director: Francis Lee
Stars: Saoirse Ronan, Kate Winslet, Fiona Shaw, Gemma Jones

The Trial of the Chicago 7
The story of 7 people on trial stemming from various charges surrounding the uprising at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, Illinois.
Director: Aaron Sorkin
Stars: J.C. MacKenzie, Jeremy Strong, Sacha Baron Cohen, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Minari
Korean family moves to Arkansas to start a farm in the 1980s.
Director: Lee Isaac Chung
Stars: Steven Yeun, Yeri Han, Yuh-Jung Youn, Will Patton

Killers of the Flower Moon
Members of the Osage tribe in the United States are murdered under mysterious circumstances in the 1920s sparking a major F.B.I. investigation involving J. Edgar Hoover.
Director: Martin Scorsese
Stars: Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro

News of the World
A Texan traveling across the wild West bringing the news of the world to local townspeople, agrees to help rescue a young girl who was kidnapped.
Director: Paul Greengrass
Stars: Tom Hanks, Neil Sandilands, Stephanie Hill, Chukwudi Iwuji

The French Dispatch
A love letter to journalists set in an outpost of an American newspaper in a fictional 20th-century French city that brings to life a collection of stories published in "The French Dispatch" magazine.
Director: Wes Anderson
Stars: Saoirse Ronan, Timothée Chalamet, Elisabeth Moss, Bill Murray

Greyhound
During World War II, a US Navy skipper must lead an Allied convoy being stalked by Nazi U-boat wolf packs.
Director: Aaron Schneider
Stars: Tom Hanks, Elisabeth Shue, Stephen Graham, Rob Morgan

Macbeth
A Scottish lord becomes convinced by a trio of witches that he will become the next King of Scotland, and his ambitious wife supports him in his plans of seizing power.
Director: Joel Coen
Stars: Denzel Washington, Brendan Gleeson, Frances McDormand, Corey Hawkins

Soul
A musician who has lost his passion for music is transported out of his body and must find his way back with the help of an infant soul learning about herself.
Directors: Pete Docter, Kemp Powers
Stars: Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, Quest Love, Daveed Diggs

Tenet
An action epic revolving around international espionage, time travel and evolution.
Director: Christopher Nolan
Stars: John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Aaron Taylor-Johnson

The Woman in the Window
An agoraphobic woman living alone in New York begins spying on her new neighbors, only to witness a disturbing act of violence.
Director: Joe Wright
Stars: Amy Adams, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gary Oldman, Julianne Moore

Last Night in Soho
A young girl, passionate in fashion design, is mysteriously able to enter the 1960s where she encounters her idol, a dazzling wannabe singer. But 1960s London is not what it seems, and time seems to fall apart with shady consequences.
Director: Edgar Wright
Stars: Thomasin McKenzie, Anya Taylor-Joy, Terence Stamp, Matt Smith

Da 5 Bloods
A group of veterans from the Vietnam War return to the jungle to find their lost innocence.
Director: Spike Lee
Stars: Chadwick Boseman, Paul Walter Hauser, Giancarlo Esposito, Jonathan Majors

Respect
The life story of legendary R&B singer, Aretha Franklin.
Director: Liesl Tommy
Stars: Jennifer Hudson, Forest Whitaker, Tate Donovan, Marlon Wayans

Nomadland
A woman in her sixties who, after losing everything in the Great Recession, embarks on a journey through the American West, living as a van-dwelling modern-day nomad.
Director: Chloé Zhao
Stars: Frances McDormand, David Strathairn, Charlene Swankie, Linda May

Green Knight
A fantasy re-telling of the medieval story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.
Director: David Lowery
Stars: Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander, Joel Edgerton, Sean Harris

After Yang
The film follows a father and daughter as they try to save the life of their robotic family member.
Director: Kogonada
Stars: Colin Farrell, Jodie Turner-Smith, Justin H. Min, Haley Lu Richardson

The Many Saints of Newark
A look at the formative years of New Jersey gangster, Tony Soprano.
Director: Alan Taylor
Stars: Michael Gandolfini, Jon Bernthal, Vera Farmiga, Billy Magnussen

The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Televangelists Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker seek redemption after their religious empire and marriage crumbles.
Director: Michael Showalter
Stars: Jessica Chastain, Vincent D'Onofrio, Andrew Garfield, Cherry Jones

Zola
A stripper named Zola embarks on a wild road trip to Florida.
Director: Janicza Bravo
Stars: Riley Keough, Nicholas Braun, Taylour Paige, Jason Mitchell

Red, White and Water
A US soldier suffers a traumatic brain injury while fighting in Afghanistan and struggles to adjust to life back home.
Director: Lila Neugebauer
Stars: Jennifer Lawrence, Samira Wiley, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Brian Tyree Henry

The Father
A man refuses all assistance from his daughter as he ages. As he tries to make sense of his changing circumstances, he begins to doubt his loved ones, his own mind and even the fabric of his reality.
Director: Florian Zeller
Stars: Anthony Hopkins, Olivia Colman, Imogen Poots, Rufus Sewell

Shirley
A famous horror writer finds inspiration for her next book after she and her husband take in a young couple.
Director: Josephine Decker
Stars: Elisabeth Moss, Logan Lerman, Michael Stuhlbarg, Odessa Young

Next Goal Wins
Adaptation of the 2014 British soccer documentary which follows Dutch coach Thomas Rongen who attempts the nearly impossible task of turning the American Samoa soccer team from perennial losers into winners.
Director: Taika Waititi
Stars: Elisabeth Moss, Michael Fassbender, Frankie Adams, Rhys Darby

If there's anything I left off, please post it below....

Last edited:
My random thoughts which we'll most likely laugh at a year later:

I'm guessing Tenet and/or Dune will battle it out for the tech categories but which one will be WB's main pony?

Fincher's Mank which stars Gary Oldman sounds very promising.

I have zero faith in The Last Duel. I just can't wrap my head around Damon and Affleck playing Frenchmen. Although I think Driver is now one of the main guys? I'm here for Jodie Comer though getting Oscars notice.

Is this the return of Amy Adams? Awards season is not fun without our most gracious and gorgeous loser.

Can In The Heights be an awards player? I sure hope so!

David O. Russell is shooting a film with Bale and Margot Robbie next month but I'm wary of its prospects as DOR is one of Film Twitter's Most Wanted. I don't think his hibernation after Joy would be enough.

Some Sundance tea:

Minari won the top prize at Sundance and could be a chance to reward Steve Yeun after he was snubbed for Burning (a movie I liked but didn't love as much as the critics did).

Oliva Colman and most especially Anthony Hopkins were raved for The Father. Hopkins is getting career best reviews and he's a beloved veteran that Hollywood is itching to give a 2nd Oscar to.

Last edited:
My watchlist:

Da 5 Bloods
Dune (though I doubt it has awards potential outside of techs)
The Father (Anthony Hopkins getting raves)
The French Dispatch
Green Knight (doubtful of awards potential)
Killers of the Flower Moon (if it makes 2020)
Macbeth
Nightmare Alley (if it makes 2020)
Mank
Tenet (probably techs only)
Untitled David O. Russell Film

Lets go Adam Driver in Annette!

I'm just glad Joseph Gordon-Levitt is finally in another movie (Trial of the Chicago 7) I have not eaten in so long.

Lets go Adam Driver in Annette!

I'm just glad Joseph Gordon-Levitt is finally in another movie (Trial of the Chicago 7) I have not eaten in so long.

It's got a stacked line-up. Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen, Yahya Abdul-Mateen III, JGL, Jeremy Strong, Frank Langella, Mark Rylance, Michael Keaton, William Hurt.

Watch JGL have like a cameo :argh:

Next Goal Wins
Adaptation of the 2014 British soccer documentary which follows Dutch coach Thomas Rongen who attempts the nearly impossible task of turning the American Samoa soccer team from perennial losers into winners.
Director: Taika Waititi
Stars: Michael Fassbender, Elisabeth Moss, Armie Hammer, Rhys Darby, Rachel House

Finally a halfway decent role for Fassbender again? I can imagine him in the part just from watching the real coach in the documentary. I can already hear "white savior" complaints even if it's a true story though.

Finally a halfway decent role for Fassbender again? I can imagine him in the part just from watching the real coach in the documentary. I can already hear "white savior" complaints even if it's a true story though.
The movie has already been shot and it’s now in the editing process. It’s another Searchlight Pictures project and could very well land a fall release date which would imply it has awards potential. Apparently the movie is really great and specially Fassbender who is getting early praise as a “comedic revelation”.

The documentary is very good. Truly a hidden gem. If Taika manages to capture some of that magic we could be getting a special and inspirational movie.

Last edited:
I have the Feeling Moss will go the path Johansson did this year with
Shirley, French Dispatch and Next Goal wins in the mix.

Man, I really want Leo to be playing Hoover again lol.

@Schlosser85
What stage are you in with your next movie, “Next Goal Wins”?
Just the editing. I think we’re going to take our time with that one, and deliver it for the end of the year.

Is it also an awards movie?
It’s more of a comedy. It’s probably pretty presumptuous of me to suggest that this film is anything like “Intouchables” [the 2011 French movie directed by Olivier Nakache and Éric Toledano] but that was a film I was really inspired by — people crossing cultural boundaries. Just making films that are uplifting! Life is depressing enough, sometimes, in the day to day.

Taika Waititi on Oscars, His ‘Jojo Rabbit’ Journey and Those ‘Star Wars’ Rumors

I mean did anyone believe that Inception had a chance at the main catefory of the Oscar. It ended up getting in Best Picture and Best Screenplay. It should’ve got a Best Director nom to, since Nolan got DGA, GG and BAFTA nom for directing. That was a terrible snub.
So yeah, I think TENET seriously has a chance at the main categories. Nowadays there is no such thing as a genre movie in the Oscar anymore. Joker, Fury Road, Inception, Black Panther and Parasite proved it.

I see sooooo many Oscars here:

It's got a stacked line-up. Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen, Yahya Abdul-Mateen III, JGL, Jeremy Strong, Frank Langella, Mark Rylance, Michael Keaton, William Hurt.

Watch JGL have like a cameo :argh:
He probably will. :funny:

Sony Pictures Classics Acquires Sundance Title ‘Nine Days,’ Starring Winston Duke, Zazie Beetz

The synopsis for “Nine Days” reads:

Set in a house distant from the reality we know, Nine Days tells the story of a reclusive man named Will (Duke) who interviews prospective candidates—personifications of human souls—for the privilege he once had: to be born. Five contenders emerge, and during the course of Nine Days, Will tests each of them, but he can choose only one. The victor will be rewarded with a coveted opportunity to become a newborn in the real world, while the others will cease to exist—Nine Days is everything they’ll ever experience.

eCBZyat.jpg

I doubt it'll carry through award season but...

Sonic versus Onward for Best Animated Picture is going to be a close race. I can feel it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"