• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fantasy Warner Bros to reboot Willy Wonka

Sources tell Variety that Warner Bros. has acquired the rights to the “Willy Wonka” IP from the Roald Dahl Estate and is planning a new movie centered around the eccentric character.

Heyman will produce. Michael Siegel, who is the manager of the Dahl Estate, will exec produce along with Kevin McCormick. “The Secret Life of Pets” scribe Simon Rich is penning the script. Courtenay Valenti is overseeing the project for the studio.

Sources reveal that the film will not be an origin tale, but a standalone movie focused on Wonka and his early adventures. It’s unknown who from the original book series, other than Wonka, will be involved in the project. If the reboot is a hit, it seems likely that characters like Charlie could be seen in future installments of a possible franchise.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/willy-wonka-new-movie-david-heyman-warner-bros-1201894143/
meh - pass

Roald Dahl actually was not a fan of the Gene Wilder movie so in his will it actually says that Great Glass Elevator cannot be adapted.

Ironic considering his own involvement in his treatment for You Only Live Twice and he though Fleming's read like a travelogue

we've already seen this. Isn't there some other eccentric chocolate mogul/philanthropist they can make a movie about?
What's up with that Milton Snavely (great name) Hershey guy? Or the lunatic who invented Kinder eggs and Nutella?
What bizarre goings on in their mental "workshops"?
There has got to be a movie there somewhere.

Last edited:
Well it can only be a step up from the Burton version.

Jared Leto is Willy Wonka

Don't even joke about that!

I actually didn't mind the Burton version so much. It was pretty much the same premise, but told differently. This Wonka was more quirky and weird, whereas Wilder had more of a sarcastic smartmouth to him. Burton's take was not as good as the original, but was still a nice alternative. I was just expecting something with a creepier feel, given Burton was at the helm.

I am weary of a second remake..

Last edited:
Wilder's Wonka was closer to Dahl's characterization. Depp's was like a goofy man child.

No doubt Wilder's take is the best, but I can enjoy the Burton version for what it is.

They both lacked a goatee.
1904862-willy_wonka.jpg

I wish someone would make a movie titled "Not Another Damn Reboot"

Some characters just don't lend themselves to franchises. Wonka is one of them.

I honestly don't see why not. Its not like they can't deviate from the source material. God knows everyone else does.

Although this isn't animated I still can't help but imagine its going to be. It could be about a young eccentric man that goes on a search across the world to collect what he needs to put together his 'magical' chocolate factory which is where he would meet the oompa loompas and what other else new characters they decide to add.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/paddington-director-paul-king-talks-willy-wonka-1080166

Paul King, the director of the whimsical and acclaimed Paddington movies, has set his sights on another British literary title to adapt.

King is in final negotiations to direct Willy Wonka, a reimagining of Roald Dahl's classic children's book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, being developed by Warner Bros.

King would be reunited with David Heyman, the producer of the Paddington movies.

Yeah, I didn't see this. Interesting duo though.

Ooh, interesting. Those Paddington movies are very good and well-written, so is Inside Out. I can't think of a more qualified team.

I love the original Willy Wonka (just watched it the other day, coincidentally) and I despise the remake. What were they even thinking with that, lol?

I doubt it will happen, but I'd love to see a sequel to the original film. They could bring back the original Charlie actor and use him as the new Wonka who has to pass the torch to another child.

What's really funny is that I saw this news because I actually searched for it without knowing it had been announced today. I just got finished watching Nostalgia Critic's "New vs Old" video on the Wonka movies, and I wanted to see if there was any progress on this movie. What a time for this news to be released.

Didn't Roald Dahl write any other books???

Didn't Roald Dahl write any other books???
Of course. But Wonka is about a chocolate factory and kids love candy. Why wouldn't kids beg their parents to see a movie that takes place in a candy factory?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

stirring-caramel.gif

"In the beginning the reboots came after 30 years."
Z4Y0Kde.jpg

"More recently that has decreased to every 20 years, still a full generation apart."
f4t2zMT.jpg

"Now they announce a reboot after just 13 years. Calculations show that by next week we could be experiencing a a DOUBLE EVENT! Simultaneous reboots and re-reboots on the same opening weekend!"

gGVDTul.jpg

Funny, I just watched the Gene Wilder version for the first time the other day.

Would like to see him play Willy Wonka in reboot:

TELEMMGLPICT000147931216_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq2xH_am5qyIBBe32ZCWDxVOje-vVwF_yE3LbsAFM1_7M.jpeg

but most likely will be him:

jack-black-44.7.jpg

No More Wonka Reboots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Johnny Depp and Tom & Jerry were bad enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see what vague, one word title they give it. Probably something like WONKA. :whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"