Well, so much for Sodam Yat...

I was confused at first if he was supposed to be dead or just unconscious.

You realize Geoff Johns doesn't write GL Corps, right?
Yeah, but this whole Sin Corps storyline is his idea, and I'm assuming that Sodam Yat was reintroduced for the purpose of becoming the new Ion (ultimate GL) in this story. So I'm giving him credit for it.

This thread title annoys the eff out of me. No matter how you go about explaining things, there really isn't a way to confuse this with anything but his death. To boot, it's not like this is the kind of topic that is liable to have no replies, so even if you don't want to know what the topic's going to discuss the first page coverage prevents that.

You win the no-prize.

^Exactly.
Yeah, but this whole Sin Corps storyline is his idea, and I'm assuming that Sodam Yat was reintroduced for the purpose of becoming the new Ion (ultimate GL) in this story. So I'm giving him credit for it.
Do you credit Johns with Soranik Natu's Sinestro Corps story, as well? And the entire fight on Mogo, and Kilowog's battles, and every other character and characterization that Gibbons wrote through the course of this event?

Johns didn't write a single panel of Sodam Yat so far, so I see no reason why he should get any credit for him. Even if he came up with the idea -- which we have absolutely no way of knowing -- he's not the one who actually implemented it.

Johns didn't write a single panel of Sodam Yat so far
Well, he's appeared dialogue-less a couple of times in panels; that might have required him to write his name in the script for the artist, at least.:cwink:

Unless the script simply said "Hey Reis, draw the GL Corps here." ;)

^Exactly.Do you credit Johns with Soranik Natu's Sinestro Corps story, as well? And the entire fight on Mogo, and Kilowog's battles, and every other character and characterization that Gibbons wrote through the course of this event?

Johns didn't write a single panel of Sodam Yat so far, so I see no reason why he should get any credit for him. Even if he came up with the idea -- which we have absolutely no way of knowing -- he's not the one who actually implemented it.

Im pretty sure johns cameup with the idea, ran it by dan and the other GL editor. had tons of meetings,etc.

just like bendis and every big writer have thier way with thier ideas.

Why? Why would you be sure that Johns is the one who came up with this idea to reintroduce an old Alan Moore concept and tie it to Ion? Any person in that room could have.

What's more...not only has Johns not written anything about Sodam Yat to date, it also doesn't look like he's going to be writing any of Yat in the future either. All of the several upcoming books Yat is appearing in are handled by other writers. That doesn't sound like the way to treat a prize concept you came up with.

Just read it today...it was good. I'm still trying to get my foot back into DC, but since I already know who Superman Prime is, I didn't find myself lost. The handy synopsis didn't hurt. As for the fight...it was pretty good. Gleason and Igle did a great job of making visceral. The art on Superman Prime was spot-on. I don't know if all of the flashbacks were quite appropriate, but they didn't feel like they cramped up the story too much.

I suppose Sodam Yat is either dead or unconscious after that beatdown. My only real complaint is that the scale of the fight- while very large- could have shown us just a little bit more stratagem than "I'll burn him with the heat vision I just realized I have." Nevertheless, it's good.

Im pretty sure johns cameup with the idea, ran it by dan and the other GL editor. had tons of meetings,etc.

just like bendis and every big writer have thier way with thier ideas.
Given that Yat is only significant in stories not written by Johns, I find that unlikely.

^Exactly.Do you credit Johns with Soranik Natu's Sinestro Corps story, as well? And the entire fight on Mogo, and Kilowog's battles, and every other character and characterization that Gibbons wrote through the course of this event?

All I'm crediting him with is the idea to bring back Sodam Yat as Ion. It is a very Geoff Johnsy idea. I'm sorry that offends you.

I doubt the Sinestro Corps story is solely a Johns creation.

All I'm crediting him with is the idea to bring back Sodam Yat as Ion. It is a very Geoff Johnsy idea. I'm sorry that offends you.
Do you credit Johns with Soranik Natu's Sinestro Corps story, as well? And the entire fight on Mogo, and Kilowog's battles, and every other character and characterization that Gibbons wrote through the course of this event?

Why would you be sure that Johns is the one who came up with this idea to reintroduce an old Alan Moore concept and tie it to Ion? Any person in that room could have.

What's more...not only has Johns not written anything about Sodam Yat to date, it also doesn't look like he's going to be writing any of Yat in the future either. All of the several upcoming books Yat is appearing in are handled by other writers. That doesn't sound like the way to treat a prize concept you came up with.

Do you credit Johns with Soranik Natu's Sinestro Corps story, as well?
No, but this is Johns' grand story, and given that Yat as Ion seems to be part of a larger section of the story than just the GLC book, and given that it's a very Johnsy idea, I very strongly suspect Johns came up with it. Why is that something that drives you so far up the wall?

BrianWilly said:
I never gave him any credit for implementing it.

BrianWilly said:
He didn't come up with it. Alan Moore did. He just brought it back.

No, but this is Johns' grand story, and given that Yat as Ion seems to be part of a larger section of the story than just the GLC book, and given that it's a very Johnsy idea, I very strongly suspect Johns came up with it. Why is that something that drives you so far up the wall?
The fact that you're giving a writer credit for a story that other writers are writing.

He didn't come up with it. Alan Moore did. He just brought it back.
You have absolutely no indication of this whatsoever other than your own wild imaginations.

The fact that you're giving a writer credit for a story that other writers are writing.
The entire storyline is his brainchild, so he's going to get some credit for it no matter what.

The entire storyline is his brainchild
You have absolutely no idea how much of what occurs in GL Corps is his brainchild other than what your aforementioned wild imaginations have told you.

given that Yat as Ion seems to be part of a larger section of the story than just the GLC book
No, it's not; his appearances are confined to GLC, he hasn't impacted the "main" story in GL at all. Now, if he had defeated Superman-Prime, then he would have had an impact, but he didn't.

No, it's not; his appearances are confined to GLC, he hasn't impacted the "main" story in GL at all. Now, if he had defeated Superman-Prime, then he would have had an impact, but he didn't.
He's the only guy who even stood up to Superman-Prime for any length of time. Furthermore, changing Ion from Kyle to some newbie isn't something that any old writer can just do. It had to be part of the larger narrative.

He's the only guy who even stood up to Superman-Prime for any length of time.
In GLC; it doesn't look like it will affect anything else, because Prime clearly isn't affected by the fight at all, besides being a bit bloodier.
Furthermore, changing Ion from Kyle to some newbie isn't something that any old writer can just do. It had to be part of the larger narrative.
Johns definitely had the idea to make Kyle not Ion anymore, but there's no indication that it was his idea to give it to Yat; since the redistributed Ion-power isn't affecting Johns' story, from the looks of it, it doesn't matter where it goes.

So apparently the prophecy goes a little wrong when it prophesies the defeat of the Lanterns. But up until then, it all happened. The Corps was destroyed (by Hal Jordan), the enemies of the Corps rose up against them, Ranx and the Qwardians and all the rest joined the Sinestro Corps, a Daxamite named Sodam Yat became the Ultimate Green Lantern (ION), and the prophecy was good up till that point.

Way to go DC. Usually things like that just get forgotten. I'm glad to see that DC's sense of continuity can still deliver a punch like that.

If you ever get a chance to read that tale, you will see that the story that was told by the empire of tears was intentionally part truth and part lie (at least as far as the wishes granted). The truths were that Abin Sur would eventually die (out of his own fear and lack of confidence in his ring), Hal Jordan (his successor) would eventually become known as the greatest Lantern of them all, and Sodam Yat did become the ultimate Green Lantern as ION, and the great battle, to be know as the Sinestro Corps war, did occur.

If you ever get a chance to read that tale, you will see that the story that was told by the empire of tears was intentionally part truth and part lie (at least as far as the wishes granted). The truths were that Abin Sur would eventually die (out of his own fear and lack of confidence in his ring), Hal Jordan (his successor) would eventually become known as the greatest Lantern of them all, and Sodam Yat did become the ultimate Green Lantern as ION, and the great battle, to be know as the Sinestro Corps war, did occur.
I did actually read it, several years ago, when I found that issue in a discount bin somewhere. I'd just completely forgotten it, which is a sin, but something that happens all too often for me with fiction, however much I love the story.

It was a great discount bin, though. Found the entire run of Green Lantern Mosaic, almost all of the Green Lantern Corps stuff that was published, a bunch of Batman and Detective from when those books were consistent and solid...good spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"