Were the 1990's lame?

Also, 90's had epic kids sports films;

Mighty Ducks
The Big Green
Little Giants
Don't forget The Sandlot!

Ah, and looking at my location reminded me that the early 90s had some badass beat-em-ups. Streets of Rage 2, Turtles In Time, The Simpsons...

and my favorite 90's shoe!!

nike-air-more-uptempo-scottie-pippen-olympic-edition-01.jpg

In high school it was all about brand name shoes like Nike, Reebok, Adidas. Luckily for me shoes weren't that important I just couldn't figure out how low income families that couldn't even afford a miserable hot dog could shell out $100.00 on shoes for their kids.

wuahahahahahaha

If you did even not exist in the 80's, what basis do you have to make such a claim? Hearing about the 80s (or any decade) does not remotely compare to actually living through them.
You either didn't read the whole post or have bad reading comprehension.

People can hate on hip hop as much as they want... but there was some really good jazz type hip hop in the 90s. It was a very experimental time for hip hop, not so commercialized. There were many lyrical poets around that time... it was a great time for expression.

- A Tribe Called Quest
- Jungle Brothers
- De La Soul
- Common Sense
- Nas
- The Fugees
- Mos Def/Talib Kweli/Black Star
- The Roots
- The Pharcyde
- Outkast
- Souls of Mischief/Hieroglyphics
- Cypress Hill (1st album)
- etc... too many more to name

Poetry to a beat...

Excellent point. Gotta add Jurassic 5 to that list too.

JAK®;19939539 said:
You either didn't read the whole post or have bad reading comprehension.
lol, wut?

No, I perfectly understood what you were trying to say. If I had wanted to comment on the idea that nostalgia doesn't always equal reality, I would have. But no, I was commenting on you assertion that the 80's in fact were not nearly as great as nostalgia claims, despite not having any ability to judge the two.

The fact of the matter is, in order to compare nostalgia versus reality, you have to have first hand experience with it. The idea that nostalgia is greater than the reality of something is far from accurate, fool proof, nor true in every instance.

The portion of your post concerning the 80s is akin to me looking at the back of a book and saying "dude, this story is terrible". But how can I accurately state that without actually reading the book? I can't. I have no idea of the quality of the story just by looking at the back sleeve and reading a three sentence synopsis.

So, I stick by my initial statement:

If you did even not exist in the 80's, what basis do you have to make such a claim? Hearing about the 80s (or any decade) does not remotely compare to actually living through them.

Because in order to judge whether or not the 80s (or any decade) live up to the nostalgia, you had to have lived during that time, otherwise, you're just blowing hot air.

1990s were awesome! Every decade have their ups and downs - for it's time the 1990s' grunge was awesome (outdated style now, but awesome nonetheless).

1990s were awesome! Every decade have their ups and downs - for it's time the 1990s' grunge was awesome (outdated style now, but awesome nonetheless).
i still prefer music from the 90s and earlier. Can't stand 95% of what is out there these days.

In high school it was all about brand name shoes like Nike, Reebok, Adidas. Luckily for me shoes weren't that important I just couldn't figure out how low income families that couldn't even afford a miserable hot dog could shell out $100.00 on shoes for their kids.

They probably couldn't afford a miserable hot dog because they were shelling out $100.00 on shoes for their kids.

Because in order to judge whether or not the 80s (or any decade) live up to the nostalgia, you had to have lived during that time, otherwise, you're just blowing hot air.
You're right I was born in 1976 but I can't say I hated the 70's since I don't remember a thing from it, I can only judge how silly the trends were by looking at photos of my parents of the era and watching VH-1's I Love the 70's.

I hate it too when people who were born after the 80's say what a crappy decade it was when they weren't around.

They were important to me because I didn't own them and got a lot of crap from other kids about not having them. My parent's never understood the fad and maybe that was a good thing. For some reason I still remember the brand of shoe that I did buy from Payless: XJ900's. They were my favorite pair :word:

lol, wut?

No, I perfectly understood what you were trying to say. If I had wanted to comment on the idea that nostalgia doesn't always equal reality, I would have. But no, I was commenting on you assertion that the 80's in fact were not nearly as great as nostalgia claims, despite not having any ability to judge the two.

The fact of the matter is, in order to compare nostalgia versus reality, you have to have first hand experience with it. The idea that nostalgia is greater than the reality of something is far from accurate, fool proof, nor true in every instance.

The portion of your post concerning the 80s is akin to me looking at the back of a book and saying "dude, this story is terrible". But how can I accurately state that without actually reading the book? I can't. I have no idea of the quality of the story just by looking at the back sleeve and reading a three sentence synopsis.

So, I stick by my initial statement:

My judgement of the '80s is based on information given to me by '80s kids, such as "Transformers was an awesome show", which I then investigate and find that actually, it was pretty bad.

The '80s weren't bad, though, I'm just saying that it wasn't the best thing ever like people say. And that goes for all decades, including the '90s. Personally, I think the '80s were the best decade for comedies, but something tells me if I had said that you wouldn't be telling me "you weren't there, man"

I mean, saying "you can't judge it because you weren't there" is pretty silly, because if we followed your logic we would learn nothing from our history.

JAK®;19945477 said:
My judgement of the '80s is based on information given to me by '80s kids, such as "Transformers was an awesome show", which I then investigate and find that actually, it was pretty bad.

The '80s weren't bad, though, I'm just saying that it wasn't the best thing ever like people say. And that goes for all decades, including the '90s. Personally, I think the '80s were the best decade for comedies, but something tells me if I had said that you wouldn't be telling me "you weren't there, man"

I mean, saying "you can't judge it because you weren't there" is pretty silly, because if we followed your logic we would learn nothing from our history.

Oh you can learn the 80's, you just can't judge the 80's because you weren't even born yet.

Whatever. You're all just misinterpreting what I'm saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"