What can the international community do about Mugabe

But, uh, hundreds were murdered under Saddam's ethnic cleansing in Iraq.

This means the Iraq war was justified, correct? Because we prevented the possible deaths of more Iraqis by removing Saddam from power?

If we would have intervened in Iraq, in order to stop Saddam from committing atrocities, then it would have been justified. But that's not what happened, as you know.

Stop trying so hard to compare Zimbabwe to Iraq. They're two different situations with very different and complex sets of circumstances.
Agreed

How? Wouldn't the situation basically be the same as Iraq, at its core?

-The United States goes in and removes Mugabe from power
-A Zimbabwean opposition movement rises, and starts attacking U.S. forces even though a majority of Zimbabweans may support his removal from power
-The United States helps draft a new government, one which is pro-West and therefore alienates many Zimbabweans
-A civil war begins to brew among Zimbabwe's ethnic tribes, as the United States continues to get its facts wrong while blindly interfering in Zimbabwe's affairs.

All the elements are there to make Zimbabwe just as catastrophic as Iraq. The only thing that's missing is a WMD controversy.

I don't think you understand the situation in Zimbabwe. I don't think the United States should intervene with force in Zimbabwe but they should political force to press for the UN and its African neighbours to do more.

There is no pro-west or Pro-east goverments in Zimbabwe its not the middle east. There is a dictator and there is democratic opposition Morgan Tsvangiraiwhich a vast majority of the country want in power but are not being allowed to vote in a free election.

Not every international problem is gonna be another Iraq. Iraq was poorly thought out and the post war phase wasn't even planned for properly.

Which is why the United States should support the assassination of these dictators and nothing more. We shouldn't be building governments these people are only going to hate, we shouldn't be driving tanks into town squares and making asses of ourselves by tearing down statues or other totalitarian landmarks. We should kill the bastards in charge and let the government recover from their dictators' deaths.

Agreed. I'm certain that the next guy would be a jerk, too, but at least he'd know what happens if he gets out of hand.

Im getting a bit tired of my goverment using quiet diplomacy on the situation.

I was wrong. The international community (specifically the Western governments) should not interfere with the political situation in Zimbabwe, and should instead review their historical record on Zimbabwe, and other African countries, before even considering doing anything at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"