What else could Sam Raimi direct for Marvel?

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
-- Oz the Great and Powerful is looking at a profitable box-office run. This movie was already produced by Disney, so it might not be a stretch for him to get involved with Marvel again, this time on another character besides Spider-Man (btw, I am well aware that the Spidey franchise has been under the auspices of Sony/Columbia).

So, what concept that hasn't been dealt with yet (or is awaiting reboot under Marvel Films) could Sam Raimi helm successfully?

A solo character?

A team?

A lower-budget concept?

Considering Raimi's horror roots, maybe could this be an angle to explore, e.g., Werewolf by Night, Tomb of Dracula, Marvel's Frankenstein, Man-Thing, Simon Garth: Zombie, Marvel Zombies, etc.

I fear this may become a troll thread soon.

I like Raimi, I wouldn't mind if he directed Doctor Strange or a Planet Hulk movie. I think he would be perfect for it.

Other than maybe a Power Pack film I'd say NOTHING. No Raimi lover am I.

No filmmaker has better captured comic book action than Raimi. Yes, Whedon was the first to outdo the train fight in SM2 with the Avengers, but he had a bigger budget and 8 years of advancements in special effects. The way Raimi wields his camera can be vertigo-inducing wicked fun.

That said, I think we saw plenty of his take on the Marvel Universe which got burned out by SM3. Still, I think his Spidey fits better with the MCU than Webb's. In any case, I think he has moved on and it is probably for the best. I would sooner see his Evil Dead 4 than a return to superhero films. I think he has said all he has to on the subject.

Then again, if we get an adaptation of this:

61%2BjUpJ0BhL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I am all done.

That would be amazing.

Then again, if we get an adaptation of this:

61%2BjUpJ0BhL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I am all done.

That would be amazing.

I like the idea of a Doctor Strange film directed by Raimi.

A blade relaunch with snipes returning.

oh my. controversial, but neat :yay:

I forgot there was that Marvel Zombies/Evil Dead crossover series, lol.. I figure it would "never" happen except at a fan-film level, maybe someone could convince Bruce C. to be a part of it..

kudos for the Dr. Strange mention; it would be great to see Doc as a part of "phase 3" or whatever the next round of films after Avengers 2 turns out.

IMO, Spidey 3 suffered from the corporate-directed shoehorning in of Venom for a spinoff; I don't think Raimi came up with that on his own, and I think the film probably would have suffered further had he "quit in protest" as I suppose some might have wanted him to do.

I love Raimi and his directing style, so I wouldnt mind him taking on any Marvel Studios movie, but him doing Dr. Strange could be very special, I would love him to make it.

Or a Ghost Rider re-boot further down the line.

Noker has better captured comic book action than Raimi. Yes, Whedon was the first to outdo the train fight in SM2 with the Avengers, but he had a bigger budget and 8 years of advancements in special effects. The way Raimi wields his camera can be vertigo-inducing wicked fun.

That said, I think we saw plenty of his take on the Marvel Universe which got burned out by SM3. Still, I think his Spidey fits better with the MCU than Webb's. In any case, I think he has moved on and it is probably for the best. I would sooner see his Evil Dead 4 than a return to superhero films. I think he has said all he has to on the subject.

Raimi did the action for Hercules and Xena and Whedon did the action for Buffy and Angel. Iove that they are both action oriented thinkers.

Last edited:
What? Raimi produced those shows, and Spartacus and Legend of the Seeker for what it's worth, and Whedon created Buffy and Angel. Whedon gets more credit for the (better) shows because he actually created them and was showrunner on them. As far as I know, Raimi just provided the money and leaves the shows Renaissance produces in Tapert's hands.

Either way, neither really directed many (or in Raimi's case any) of the action on those shows. I would compare Raimi's action from Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3 to Whedon's action in The Avengers. I guess one could compare The Evil Dead to Serenity for first features. But even that seems silly.

Even though I personally wouldn't like it, Dr Strange does seem like the best option. You need something that would have an interesting story with creative freedom, some minor horror elements (possible with the magic), and room for some of Raimi's slapstick humor.

If it's a non-MCU film then I probably wouldn't mind(or care) anyway so no skin off my nose there. But having him do an Marvel Studios movie would seriously have me questioning Feige's judgment(and sanity). I don't want the beloved MCU cluttered with mediocrity.

Raimi doing a Dr. Strange film would be pretty damn awesome.

If it's a non-MCU film then I probably wouldn't mind(or care) anyway so no skin off my nose there. But having him do an Marvel Studios movie would seriously have me questioning Feige's judgment(and sanity). I don't want the beloved MCU cluttered with mediocrity.

With Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk and Captain America already part of it, no worries. :oldrazz:

I could not resist.

I agree with everyone who suggested that Raimi direct Doctor Strange. That would be the perfect fit for him. He has already done work in the fantasy/horror genre; Oz is right in that line, as are the Evil Dead films. Raimi can handle the surreal imagery as well as the action required for Strange. Though he'll probably be busy with other projects, I hope that Marvel will at least think about hiring him if he's available.

I think Raimi on Doctor Strange would be great for Marvel and for the MCU, but I think he might be too expensive for Marvel right now.

Still that would be a big boost for the movie and give it some good name recognition for a fairly unknown character to mainstream audiences.

Last edited:
With Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk and Captain America already part of it, no worries. :oldrazz:

I could not resist.

No worries. All Raimi is capable of is mediocre films(and worse).

I too could not resist.:oldrazz:

Raimi captures the silver age comics feel well, and does tremendously awesome action sequences too. Spidey 1 and 2 are incredible movies. I'd love to see him take on another superhero (though preferably The Shadow, even though it seems he could never get that project off the ground).

Actually, maybe DC / WB should steal Raimi... he'd be perfect to direct a Flash movie.

Yes, let him go pee in their swimming pool. Good riddance.

Raimi captures the silver age comics feel well, and does tremendously awesome action sequences too. Spidey 1 and 2 are incredible movies. I'd love to see him take on another superhero (though preferably The Shadow, even though it seems he could never get that project off the ground).

Actually, maybe DC / WB should steal Raimi... he'd be perfect to direct a Flash movie.

Yeah, would really like to see his version of The Shadow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"