12 Motives for Killing a Comic Book Character

Lorendiac said:
In addition: At least one reader of the first draft pointed out the important role, in several team books, of the Expendable Founding Member who becomes acquainted with his new teammates and then dramatically dies - maybe within the first story arc, maybe at some later point within the first year or so after the team starts working together - as an object lesson to the others in just how dangerous the superhero line of work can be. One obvious example, possibly the earliest one, is Thunderbird I who debuted in "Giant-Size X-Men #4" as part of the "New X-Men" and promptly died at the end of the new membership roster's next adventure together, in "Uncanny X-Men #95." Two decades later (our time), Serpentina was the equivalent member of the newly formed "X-Men 2099" team who lived a century in the future. We barely got to know her before she perished.

Thunderbird wasn't created to die; Editors felt that Wolverine and Thunderbird's personalities were too similar, and that one of them had to go. Exactly why T-Bird was chosen is beyond me; Perhaps because "T" comes before "W" in the alphabet.

rigel7soldiers said:
Thunderbird wasn't created to die; Editors felt that Wolverine and Thunderbird's personalities were too similar, and that one of them had to go. Exactly why T-Bird was chosen is beyond me; Perhaps because "T" comes before "W" in the alphabet.
Probably because some of the writers/artists working on the "new" X-Men at the time were also Canadian. That's the story I got from Dave Cockrum at a con appearence some years ago.

Wonder Man was created to die in his first Avengers story, and then got knocked off a few times after that. One of those deaths was FORCEWORKS #1, in which Iron Man renamed his "West Coast Avengers" team into a new force. While he was a pre-existing hero, he seemed to die almost immediately after that team was launched.

I can totally feel for the obscure and embarassing i miss Cypher and the Scarlet spider.:o douglock!! I guess beast in ultimate fits in but i didn't like him:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"